Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Paprika2215
Paprika2215 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Lost entire calibre library!!!

Hello, I've got a problem.

Today, I moved my calibre library from one folder on my Macbook Pro to another. But when I launched the program next, my whole library was gone, and the main viewing window was completely devoid of e-books.

I must admit that my Macbook is still new, and I'm not used to using it very well yet. Installing programs and moving files (in this case, an entire folder containing all my e-books and their carefully entered metadata -- the latter was all entered manually by me). I had only just finished putting my beautiful e-book library in order, and two days later, I lose all my hard work! To be honest, I'm kind of freaking out here.

I tried several things. I knew where I had moved the library and everything in it to, so I thought, if I simply move it back to its original location, it should be back to normal. No such luck.

Then I tried to add each book into the now-empty library individually, and then add the metadata I put together. This didn't work either, as for some odd reason, calibre itself kept showing error messages, saying that it "couldn't detect the e-book files" or something to that effect.

Finally, I added one random e-book to the empty library, and then I attempted to add the metadata file to it. I don't know how this is supposed to work, but I couldn't add an existing metadata file to the e-book. I could still normally enter the metadata myself (technically I could do that for each book and recreate the whole library from scratch, but I'm not too keen on that plan at all). That's why I wanted to add the existing metadata file to the e-book file, this particular one being an EPUB. Like I said before, it didn't go so well.

I was in the middle of a good book (I read them using calibre's viewer), and now I can't even access a single e-book. I really, really hope someone can be of help with this problem. I wasn't born yesterday when it comes to technology (in this case it's a Macbook Pro we're talking about), but I can't claim I'm close to being named an expert, either.

Finally, just to clarify, my e-book files and their metadata aren't gone. They're all still safely stored on my Macbook. It's just that for one reason or another, calibre can't read/access them. None of them. Now, I realize that it's going to be rather difficult to help without sitting right next to me, but I'm still very much hoping you all can be of some assistance. Even if you could just point me in the right direction, that'd be very helpful indeed!

Thanks a whole lot in advance! My e-book collection is resting in your hands.
Paprika2215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
When you moved the library folder, calibre lost track of it and created a new one.

You can switch back to the library in the new location using the Quick Switch dialog (from the "Library" dropdown):
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-add-library.png
Views:	300
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	144164

And next time, use that dialog (third option) to move your library.

BTW, when you tried adding the metadata file, that wasn't going to work -- as far as calibre knew, you were trying to add a new ebook format! In order to add metadata via an OPF, you need to use the `calibredb` CLI backend, or use a database restore.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Tenzin_la
Enthusiast
Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Oasis
Ok.
°Run calbre.
°Choose "Calibre Library" from the menu bar
°Choose "Calibre Library" from the pull down menu
°Enter the full path to your library in the box, or click on the folder (to the right of the box) to select the location of your library
°Click the box "Library Moved"
You should be good to go.
Tenzin_la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
Paprika2215
Paprika2215 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Wow, thanks a lot, eschartz, and you too, Tenzin_la! Both of you have been very helpful. I already applied your knowledge, and it worked. I never could've imagined it would be so simple after all that messing around I did yesterday, before I decided to ask around for some help here. I'm so glad I did, because I had a feeling whatever I was doing was only making the problem worse somehow.

Anyway, now I know what to do should I wish to move my library to a different folder in the future. I really appreciate your kindness!
Paprika2215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Happy to help.

Remember, if in doubt as to the particulars, ask first. We don't mind (answering questions is what we do here).

And it is easier to help you before you make the wrong mistake and mess everything up. People have caused messes that were harder to deal with than the original problem, by trying to fix things when they didn't know what they were doing.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
And most importantly, make sure you have an up-to-date backup so you can recover if you do mess up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote