Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #76
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Not sure what you mean.
A lot of services come with a modem with Ethernet ports, maybe USB2, but wireless is extra.

Sometimes the modem and router are in the same box.

It is possible that you are thinking of a Ethernet switch box that would take an old single out modem and add more ports.
I think the original poster was talking about a router. Most services I see come only with a single connector to a computer. If you have more than one device you need a router and if you need to buy a router then they almost always include a Wireless capability.

The old switch box is not a router per-se but still needs something to serve as a gateway between the local network and the service. If your service provides multiple ethernet ports then I believe that is an exception to the rule where I live.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #77
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
People. Has no one heard of a personal wifi hotspot? The carriers sell devices the size of a pack of playing cards which work via 3G or 4G which you can use as a wifi hotspot. It's an alternative to getting 3G on every single device. I have one for my Ipad called the Ispot. $25 a month for unlimited 4G. Unfortunately this particular device works only with I-devices, so I can't hook up to it with a Kindle or anything else, but this restriction is rare.
Greetings Samurai.
Here in America, a Hotspot will cost about 200 to 250USD without a contract. No one that I have heard of gives you a device and unlimited 4G for 25USD a month.
I will give an example for Hotspot monthly rates.
Verizon Contract 5GB for 50USD, 10GB for 80USD.
Verizon Prepay 1GB for 50USD, 5GB for 80USD.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #78
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Maybe, but only in execution. But it's not unreasonable to point out that Android tablets lack the iPads strong integration and optimization of the OS, and this has been partly responsible for their troubles. I don't know to what degree Amazon's version of android achieves that, but it appears to be much more than a skin. Combined with Amazon's reputation and ecosystem, it presents a challenge to other device makers that will need to be met with more than hardware.

And microsoft's entry onto the field may be promising as well. time will tell.
Microsoft's greatest invention was the term VAPORWARE.

Their next great thing is always that until it comes, and then there is the next great thing. Don't expect much from Microsoft except unfilled promises.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #79
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Here in America, a Hotspot will cost about 200 to 250USD without a contract. No one that I have heard of gives you a device and unlimited 4G for 25USD a month.
I think you're misunderstanding. If you already have a smart-phone with a data plan you can buy wifi hotspot to share your phone's internet connection with other wifi devices. The first one I found with google was $50.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #80
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
If you've been following the patent wars, then you know there is no guarantee of a continued Android. Apple is not going to license any of it's patents - they want android stopped period and have a chance to do so, and there are others who do want money who could cost enough to make Android the high OS option. Also Google seem to be only half-heartedly helping their app developers who are also under attack.

This may be one of the reasons for the rumored WEBOS interest on Amazon's side.
I must differ with you honorable Samurai. What is mainly happening is positioning for getting license fees. For example Microsoft is doing a lot of that. The smaller machines like HTC are having to pay out a lot because they don't have the finances to fight it. The bigger ones like Samsung aren't.
Samsung has run into difficulties in Germany essentially because one device looks like an Apple to a German court. That foolish reasoning won't fly many other places.
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #81
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think you're misunderstanding. If you already have a smart-phone with a data plan you can buy wifi hotspot to share your phone's internet connection with other wifi devices. The first one I found with google was $50.
I was speaking of a standalone Hotspot not a data plan on top of a smartphone or a tablet phone plan and paying tether fees.

Those are the prices I quoted. Just got them 10 minutes ago.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #82
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are two kinds of hotspots which is where the confusion lies I believe. The one you identified above which is a hotspot only when your phone is nearby. There is another kind of hotspot that can add a connection for phones if there is no cell-phone service. These boxes provide a way for cell-phones to have coverage within a single house, for example, or a very limited area. They capture the cell-phone connection and convert it to a telephone wire or even a cable internet connection. These are only available from the phone company.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-10-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #83
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Limited storage on the Kindle Fire and no memory card support made me just look away.
BUT I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO REACH ALL THESE PLACES IF THE FILE ISN'T ON THE KINDLE FIRE, AND ON THE ROAD, ON THE HILL, ON THE WATER, ETC., I CAN'T!! TO ME THAT PRECLUDES THE KINDLE FIRE AS A REAL TABLET!

The Kindle Fire is a great disappointment!!
and that exactly the point. If you want to spend $400-500 on a tablet with 3G and full accompaniment of hardware (cameras, gps, etc.) you can get something like my Xoom or the Acer Iconia or any of the others.

If you want a Kindle tablet with some additional tablet functionality for $200 you can get that.

It all depends on your needs. As I said elsewhere: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=63 not everyone drives a Porsch and a moped is not so great for a cross country trip etc. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I was speaking of a standalone Hotspot not a data plan on top of a smartphone or a tablet phone plan and paying tether fees.
I know you were. That's why I said you're misunderstanding. SamuraiXSendai was quoting a $25 dollar price for a device that you use in conjunction with your existing smartphone/dataplan, and you're quoting prices for stand-alone hotspots. Apple, meet Orange.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #85
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
For you. The Lenovo 7 inch seems to be attracting much attention from those who no longer have interest in the Kindle Fire.
I like the Lenovo except for one thing. It is running Gingerbread which is mainly built for phones. Now yes like any Android OS you can add on to it, build a UI like Amazon is doing on the Kindle Fire, but that precludes a tablet being able to utilize further Android development. It should have had at least Honeycomb which is for 7" tablets. Heck IceCreamSandwich is being demonstrated right now.

I am looking more strongly at the new Galaxy 5.0 ($269 at Amazon) now. It also has GPS. There is also a Galaxy 4.0 ($229 at Amazon)

By the way, I posted some further tips on the thread where we briefly discussed your workout.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #86
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There are two kinds of hotspots which is where the confusion lies I believe. The one you identified above which is a hotspot only when your phone is nearby. There is another kind of hotspot that can add a connection for phones if there is no cell-phone service. These boxes provide a way for cell-phones to have coverage within a single house, for example, or a very limited area. They capture the cell-phone connection and convert it to a telephone wire or even a cable internet connection. These are only available from the phone company.

Dale
Right on.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #87
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The old switch box is not a router per-se but still needs something to serve as a gateway between the local network and the service. If your service provides multiple ethernet ports then I believe that is an exception to the rule where I live.

Dale
Really, both Bright House Networks and Verizon here include a "free" Wireless w/ 4 port router. As a matter of fact with FiOS now you basically have to use their router because it has the ethernet/MoCA bridge built in. The MoCA is used by their set top boxes to get the guide and for VOD.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #88
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Really, both Bright House Networks and Verizon here include a "free" Wireless w/ 4 port router. As a matter of fact with FiOS now you basically have to use their router because it has the ethernet/MoCA bridge built in. The MoCA is used by their set top boxes to get the guide and for VOD.

BOb
Interesting, I have a cable modem and it only provides one connection and no gateway. The telephone company may offer something completely different but they do not cover my area of the world. Never heard of Bright House Networks.

Dale
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #89
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
I know you were. That's why I said you're misunderstanding. SamuraiXSendai was quoting a $25 dollar price for a device that you use in conjunction with your existing smartphone/dataplan, and you're quoting prices for stand-alone hotspots. Apple, meet Orange.
Thanks. I may have misunderstood, but honestly, I regularly hear of really really great prices on internet services across the water. It is actually very disgusting. How about 1USD or 2USD per 1GB? (I have a habit of mixing $ and USD a lot. 1USD is $1.)

By the way, I don't mean to pry if it is a private matter, but does the name
DiapDealer have a meaning? I guess I am asking what is "Diap".

My own handle is an old family name.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #90
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:

By the way, I posted some further tips on the thread where we briefly discussed your workout.
Yes, I did read it. I apologize for not formally acknowledging. Thank you.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote