Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #16
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Yeah, good news is that the database of information is still there, and it's still easy to read if you know what you are looking at.

There is now a 'books.db' file which is a SQLite3 DB. This contains all the information on the books that are on the device, collections, current positions and so on.

H:\Sony_Reader\database\books.db
H:\Sony_Reader\database\media\books\*

Rather interesting, though. The SQLite DB offers better speed, and it should be fairly straight-forward to talk to it from a Calibre plugin (seeing that the Kobo also uses a SQLite DB). Although it will definitely have to be done basically from scratch.

Syncing of collections from tags should be fairly easy, as would be auto-generating thumbs like before.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool, hopefully someone with a T1 and the time to work on the plugin will turn up soon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Kovid - Will the beta you've linked to above work with Linux?
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you will have to wait for the next release, or run from source as described here:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #20
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Thank you, Kovid!

My reader should be here tomorrow so I think I'll just install the beta version on the Windows side of my laptop for now. I'll go back to Ubuntu + Calibre for syncing once there's a new release.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
OK, um, so, would it be possible to make donations for Calibre specifying the money goes to purchasing a T1 for development purposes?

I bet we can get the Sony people on board for some donations ... I know I really rely on the tag/collection thing with my 950.
Given that I did a lot of work on the current Sony driver, I am probably best placed to do this integration work. I am willing to do it if either a T1 arrives in my mailbox or the money to purchase a T1 is made available somehow. I am now living in France, and according to Sony France, the T1 will be available here the end of October for a price of €149 (approximately US$200).

I can set up a chip-in account if there is enough interest. Alternatively I can provide an appropriate Euro-denominated PayPal address, which would be better for people who don't live in US$ because we would avoid double currency conversions. If I take the latter approach I would post progress here. In both cases I would refund all the contributions if the goal is not reached, as happened with my proposed Android project some time back.

Note that I can't commit that the T1 will integrate to the same level as the previous Sonys until I see it. Assuming kolenka is correct it should be possible, but the devil will be in the details (Kindle collections are a great example of ways to break integration). Also note that I expect to support the device using the cable, not over WiFi.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #22
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can give you a copy of the SQLite DB to investigate yourself if you like. I haven't seen anything at this point that creates a technical hurdle

The DB is relational, which will help a bit with collection management. Thumbnail file paths are stored in the books table. I haven't dived in to try to find a pattern to Sony's own choice of where to put thumbnails. I also haven't yet checked to see if Sony uses a single DB or if it has one DB in main memory and another on the SD card.

I'm doing a little work getting accustomed to the Calibre plugin model and the existing PRS and Kobo plugins (since the Kobo plugin uses SQLite). But it is a little slow simply from lack of knowledge of the code, and having to fit it in with what little free time I have.

EDIT: Doesn't help when Bazaar isn't Lion compatible out of the box. Took me a bit to actually read the warning on that one.

Last edited by Kolenka; 10-05-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #23
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I can give you a copy of the SQLite DB to investigate yourself if you like. I haven't seen anything at this point that creates a technical hurdle
I am not worried about hacking the database, beyond some experimentation to determine what the fields actually mean. I am more concerned about things like:
- time zone management. Current sony devices do very strange things with timestamps and timezones, usually resulting in throwing away the info in the database.
- Resetting their reader app. There might be issues with getting the device to actually re-read the database. For example, you must actually reboot a kindle to get it to read changes to the collection database. I truly hope that Sony hasn't done something equally silly.
- Interactions with the device's book management. I have had difficulties in the past trying to convince the Sony not to reread metadata from books when the DB changes. This is similar to the timezone problem.
- Collection management of removable memory. You allude to this problem.
- Android partition protection may get in the way, but I am less concerned about this because the Sony app must be able to talk to the database.
- Interactions with Sony software. My biggest concern here is any over-the-air purchase features they might have added.
Quote:
I'm doing a little work getting accustomed to the Calibre plugin model and the existing PRS and Kobo plugins (since the Kobo plugin uses SQLite). But it is a little slow simply from lack of knowledge of the code, and having to fit it in with what little free time I have.
Have fun.

There are a lot of pieces to understand in addition to the DB, such as job sequencing, plugboard interactions (there are special 'features' for sony devices), collection sorting, collection name rewriting, and thumbnail regeneration. No surprise at all that it is taking you some time.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #24
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Couple comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am not worried about hacking the database, beyond some experimentation to determine what the fields actually mean. I am more concerned about things like:
- time zone management. Current sony devices do very strange things with timestamps and timezones, usually resulting in throwing away the info in the database.
Fair point. Timestamps seem to be a count of seconds/milliseconds/ticks from some epoch. Not sure which one yet. Kinda hoping it is the standard *nix epoch, but I haven't done the math to find out.

Quote:
- Resetting their reader app. There might be issues with getting the device to actually re-read the database. For example, you must actually reboot a kindle to get it to read changes to the collection database. I truly hope that Sony hasn't done something equally silly.
Good news here. No problems. I manually created a collection and added books to it. Unplugged the device and the new collection was available instantly. Even before it went through it's refresh. Looks like the SQLite DB is queried as needed (like when the home screen is displayed). Smart move on their part, IMO.

Quote:
- Interactions with the device's book management. I have had difficulties in the past trying to convince the Sony not to reread metadata from books when the DB changes. This is similar to the timezone problem.
Another fair point. It looks like the Sony still does a rescan every time you unplug. It can't be re-reading all the metadata, so I'd have to assume the timestamps in the books table are key for this.

Quote:
- Collection management of removable memory. You allude to this problem.
Yeup, two DB files. One for the SD card, one for main memory. Looks like collections that appear in each DB actually appear twice in the collections list. That's a regression in behavior. It used to merge the two into one list if I remember correctly. Since they are SQLite DBs, that means each one is self-sufficient.

Quote:
- Android partition protection may get in the way, but I am less concerned about this because the Sony app must be able to talk to the database.
- Interactions with Sony software. My biggest concern here is any over-the-air purchase features they might have added.
Have fun.
Doesn't look like either of these will be a problem. I'm not noticing anything specific related to OTA purchase features. At least not anything new to the T1 that wasn't already part of the 900/950 models, or somewhat irrelevant to Calibre at this point. Are there any specific concerns you can think of that I might not be thinking about?

Part of what makes it take time is the inheritance that plugins have. While somewhat documented, inheritance tends to mask what a plugin really does. So it takes longer for the bigger picture to snap into focus. At least the thumbnail paths make sense now. The path just points into the cache, into a folder whose name is the id # for the row in the book table. So if a book has an _id of 89, then the thumbnail will be under the 89 folder in the cache folder. That makes it fairly easy to figure out where to put a thumbnail without clashing with Sony's software.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yeup, two DB files. One for the SD card, one for main memory. Looks like collections that appear in each DB actually appear twice in the collections list. That's a regression in behavior. It used to merge the two into one list if I remember correctly. Since they are SQLite DBs, that means each one is self-sufficient.
I haven't used a SD card on my 950, but the above behavior was the standard behavior on my 505. Collections in main memory and the SD card were separate. If I had Horror collections in both places then I would have two (duplicate) collections on the reader each with their own books within the collection.

So no regression in behavior.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-05-2011 at 06:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #26
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Duplicate collections also seems to be the case on my 950 where I have a memory stick plugged in (although I normally use that for audiobooks rather than ebooks). I might plug in a SD card as well to see if it is possible to get 3 copies of a collection in such a case.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #27
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Hi Kolenka,

Quote:
At least the thumbnail paths make sense now. The path just points into the cache, into a folder whose name is the id # for the row in the book table. So if a book has an _id of 89, then the thumbnail will be under the 89 folder in the cache folder. That makes it fairly easy to figure out where to put a thumbnail without clashing with Sony's software.
After doing a little investigation the table "Books" in the Books DB has a field called "thumbnail" which contains an explicit path and file name to the thumbnail file. The path is composed/constructed with the _id field though. HTH

I also have a question for you. I download kovidgoyal's calibre version that supports the T1 and am able to load files onto my reader using it. Switching over to the "Device" view I see the newly added books. However when I disconnect from my PC then reconnect, the "Device" view is empty, although I can still add new books. Am I missing something to make this work correctly?

Thanks a lot!
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #28
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
Hi Kolenka,

After doing a little investigation the table "Books" in the Books DB has a field called "thumbnail" which contains an explicit path and file name to the thumbnail file. The path is composed/constructed with the _id field though. HTH
That's what I already figured out. It isn't just enough to know the literal use of the DB, but Sony's own use in order to make things smoother. Ignore that, and you can run afoul of conflicts and other ugliness that leads to bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
I also have a question for you. I download kovidgoyal's calibre version that supports the T1 and am able to load files onto my reader using it. Switching over to the "Device" view I see the newly added books. However when I disconnect from my PC then reconnect, the "Device" view is empty, although I can still add new books. Am I missing something to make this work correctly?

Thanks a lot!
The T1 driver that Kovid put together is a basic generic driver. It has nothing in it. So it doesn't have any capability of reading what is on the device, just sending things to it. The driver needs to be written to support that as far as I understand it. As I have said in previous posts, I'm still learning how Calibre is put together.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
The T1 driver that Kovid put together is a basic generic driver. It has nothing in it. So it doesn't have any capability of reading what is on the device, just sending things to it. The driver needs to be written to support that as far as I understand it. As I have said in previous posts, I'm still learning how Calibre is put together.
That driver should still be able to scan all books on the device and list them.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #30
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That driver should still be able to scan all books on the device and list them.
Then I'm at a loss as to what the bug would be. You know the code a lot better than me, and the reader still behaves like a standard USB Mass Storage device. It isn't interfering with the generic driver.