Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 03:32 AM   #1
b0ogdan
b0ogdan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Unhappy Bricked PW3. Please help.

Hi guys.
I need your help if you could advise me.
I read already many forums and I think the only solution is to connect the pw3 motherboard with usb tty and try to fix it but i just want to confirm that this is the last resort.

My niece`s pw3 was working fine until few days ago when it did not start anymore. It`s about 2-3 years old so it`s out of warranty.

So if the kindle has battery I press the power button the light turns green for 2 sec, the led`s light up and i have a 1 second flash and then it`s stuck on the tree image and the led`s stay on until there is no more battery.
i tried the 40 sec thing with no luck.

When it`s connected to the computer or with the power adapter the light is orange and it`a charging correctly.

Regarding the part where it should show up in the computer or now:

If the kindle is without any battery left like it is now and I plug it in the computer , it starts charging...only the orange light working, no activity from the computer. After about 5min when the battery and the charger finally shows up on the kindle screen the computer recognizes the attached kindle and i see it in diskpart with 0mb. ( tried already with select volume but no luck).

But the thing is after few minutes when the battery is charged enough to start on it`s on, the battery and the charger disappear from the screen, image flashes, the led`s turn on and again the tree screen and the computer doesn`t even shows a device connected anymore.

What are my options?
Is there anything i can try or is the solution with usb tty the only way or i can just throw it in the garbage.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
b0ogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Let it chill out.

There is a design problem with the battery management's charger and a very low battery (in a warm room).
The development offices of Amazon/Lab126 are evidently air conditioned to a constant 72 degrees.

The result is everything appears normal that can be seen, but the Kindle's battery isn't actually being charged. Not even during the course of 48 hours.

EoS
= = = = =

Put the Kindle in your refrigerator.
Allow to chill for several hours (it is the battery internals that need to be chilled).
Most refrigerators are set to a temperature of 42 to 38 degrees (if you have dairy products in it).
Chill, baby, chill.

The next thing to watch out for is to not expose the Kindle to conditions that allow condensation to form.
(I live a couple of hundred feet from a lake - not easy to do here.)
I used a micro-fiber cloth about the size of a large wash cloth to loosely wrap the Kindle when I took it out of the refrigerator.
That reduces the humid air that can reach the Kindle and does soak up any condensation that might form.
(It isn't the condensation on the outside that is the major concern, it is the condensation that might be forming inside of the case.)

Now hook the wrapped, cold, Kindle to a wall charger and wait.
Under these conditions, the wall charger / battery management controller can get enough charge into the battery before it gets warm enough to shut down on a high battery temperature condition to return to normal operation.

In the past two days I have had to do the above to five KT Kindles, three PW1 Kindles, one PW3 Kindle and one KT3 Kindle that simply refused to re-charge when starting from a (warm) room temperature and a battery too discharged to allow the full boot process.
All completely re-charged within a couple of hours, even those that where in the midst of re-booting when they shut down on a "low battery" condition.
(Which sounds like what yours is doing.)

The logs I have looked at after the Kindles returned to "normal" shows that the battery management was just cycling between low voltage on and high temperature off conditions.

= = = =

Do not expect anything to change on the screen until the Kindle begins running normally.
The e-ink screen is meta-stable (like ink on paper), it always shows what was last written to it - even without power, disconnected from everything, sitting on a shelf.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
brick pw3 kindle fix