Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Can't read one specific very large book on my prs505

Hi

I've had my Sony prs505 since September and have been very happy. I have found this forum so useful, particularly for introducing me to Calibre and convertlit.

I now have a problem with being able to read one specific book on my reader. This is a large metabundle book (2.6 mb). I can open and read it through calibre and more importantly through the e-library so I know that it is loaded correctly on the reader. However, when I look at the reader itself the books bytitle page only shows one page for this book (rather than the 1300+ I know are really there). There is no table of contents listed, although I can see this when I open the book through e-library.

When I try to begin, or continue reading, the reader shuts down and reboots, but it still does not show more than one page on opening.

Does anybody have any ideas? Do you know if there is a size limit above which a reader can't cope?

If this is the case, does anybody know if it is possible to split up a megabundle?

I need to add here, that I will struggle with a really technical answer (eg suggesting I adapt the software) so would be grateful for KISS ideas!!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rachel
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What format is the book? LRF? 2.6MB certainly isn't particularly large for an LRF file - I've created ones which are much larger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What books(s) are these?What format are they originally in? How did you convert them? Did you convert to LRF or ePub? What version of Calibre are you using?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the interest.

I downloaded the book in Microsoft Reader and put it through Convertlit. I then converted it to LRF using Calibre (I downloaded 4.11 yesterday). It was one of a number of books I downloaded at the same time, but I haven't had any problems with the others (nor in the past - if LRF isn't available I always downoad using microsoft reader as I understand that this is probably the best format for conversion to LRF).

It seems strange to me that I can read it (from the reader) when I use e-library, so the book is obviously on the reader, it just doesn't seem to be able to format it for reading - this makes the reader reboot itself.

Rachel
Old 12-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM and then use lit2oeb to covert the LIT to it's componant parts and have a look at what you get. I did that with a PRC eBook posted here and found that n order to get it to convert to it worked on a 500 it neded different options. I had to look at the HTML from the PRC to figure this out.
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you use Calibre, Jon? My ConvertLIT stopped working after I installed one of the versions of Calibre. I tried to do a reinstall of ConvertLIT, but it still won't work.

Have you heard of this?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
Rachel
Zealot

Jon

Thanks for this - can you give me some more information about how I use lit2oeb? I don't have any technical knowledge - but I'm good at following instructions (most of the time - when it suits me!)

Thanks for your help.

Rachel
Old 12-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
This may sound funny but just recently I ran into a similar problem with a larger book. The Sherlock Holmes Omnibus. I tried loading it in a variety of ways and it would shut off the reader or hang it. The solution was to remove the SD card I had in there. Even though originally and in several incarnations I had the LRF in the 505's internal memory the Reader would not open that book if the SD card was present. Perhaps a part of the internal RAM being used for both the info/index on the SD card and the book being opened was overflowing.

Since I don't know if you are using a MMS/SD card or not I don't know if this relates to your problem, but I thought I would mention it.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Do you use Calibre, Jon? My ConvertLIT stopped working after I installed one of the versions of Calibre. I tried to do a reinstall of ConvertLIT, but it still won't work.

Have you heard of this?
I don't use the Calibre GUI. But I do have the latest version installed. I have never heard of ConvertLIT not working because of Calibre. ConvertLIT is a seperate program and has nothing to do with Calibre. I have ConvertLIT in a different directory and when I go to use it, it works fine. How do you have things setup?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Jon

Thanks for this - can you give me some more information about how I use lit2oeb? I don't have any technical knowledge - but I'm good at following instructions (most of the time - when it suits me!)

Thanks for your help.

Rachel
lit2oeb is a command line command. So you will need to open a command prompt.

Create a directory. Go to that directory, copy the book into that directory and then type lit2oeb nameofebook.li and when it is done, it will be converted. Then you can have a look at the HTML and see what might be the problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Rachel
Zealot

Hi Jon

Perhaps I am not so good at following instructions.

My problem may be in understanding which version of the book I am copying into the directory I have created. If I use the original microsoft reader version which I downloaded (as suggested by your use of .li (presumably this should be .lit?) I am told it can't access a DRM-protected book. But if I copy in the expanded file that has been converted, then of course it isn't a lit file any longer and lit2oeb does not recognise it.

What have I missed out?

Hi MJ

Good thought - I hoped it might help as I did have an SD card in the reader, although I had loaded the file on the reader itself. However, taking the card out has made no difference - Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks

Rachel

Last edited by Rachel; 12-07-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What you need to do is use ConvertLIT to create a DRM free LIT. Then use the DRM free LIT with lit2eob to expand it. Then take a look at the HTML code and see if you can figure out what the problem might be.

In another thread on MR, there was a book someone eas trying to convert from Mobipocket, but it was coming out as one continuous page which is not good for the 500. I had to look at the underlying HTML code to figure out how to convert it so it would work on the 500. You might have a similar issue needing to see the HTML code to see how best to handle it.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
Rachel
Zealot

Can somebody tell me how to use the command line - lit2oeb

I am trying to follow Jon's instructions above, but can't even get as far as expanding the file using Convertlit GUI, let alone analysing the HTML code.

I am really struggling here - I have never used a command line before.

My previous use of convertlit only gave me a html and opf file - hence my question about which file I should be using. Having googled etc I have now discovered and downloaded Convertlit GUI and have downconverted my file from Microsoft Reader (I think this is the programme to strip out the DRM). I now have a file bookname.downconverted (not bookname.lit)

However, I have never used the command line. I did try looking it up in a book and have read everything here I can find. Having employed a great deal of guess work I am no further ahead.

The command line window says:
C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER

I then tried typing in lit2oeb C:\filepath\filename.downconverted

I get told if I want to pass arguments to lit2oeb with spaces (there are spaces in my file path eg My Documents and Settings\Owner\My Document .....) to enclose in quotations. So I have tried using quotation marks (both " and ') at various points - with no success.

I have tried typing in lit2oebC:\ etc - no good

How do I use the command lit2oeb? Words of one syllable please - a specimen line of type would be really helful.

Thank you very much.

Rachel

Last edited by Rachel; 12-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.