Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #61
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I think not, besides i dont think they would go to those extends to see if is a gift or not (i think they would only charge the custom taxes and thats all in the worst of the cases)
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #62
Moo Strength
Moo Strength began at the beginning.

Device: Astek EZ Reader
I got mine Wednesday, I paid for 2 day shipping. I love it!
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #63
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
8. There are a couple instances of, shall we say, amusingly translated English. The menu option to turn on TTS is "English speaking". The option for the MP3 player is "Music Playing...". Unused bookmarks are denoted as Bookmark not be used.
So much for Astak's marketing arguments "written by Americans for Americans". Or perhaps RobertB was only speaking about the manual.

Yet, if they don't even have taken the care to have the English firmware proofed by a decent English speaker (not even asking for a native speaker here, mind you), I feel gloomy about the prospects of a bug-free firmware.

Last edited by Faenad; 09-05-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #64
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I imagine that ones & zeros are the same in Chinese as in English.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #65
kanguro
kanguro began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro (I can feel it now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
What if a person pays for the item and sends it as a gift to a relative? Would that still be considered a criminal offence.
My auntie is making me this gift, and you should not take seriously to evil daleks
kanguro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
What if a person pays for the item and sends it as a gift to a relative? Would that still be considered a criminal offence.
Of course not, because then it really is a gift . It would only not be so if the recipient were to pay the buyer to purchase it and send it.

I run a mail-order business myself, and you'd be amazed at the number of people who "try it on" and ask us to declare an item as a "gift" on the customs form. The answer is always "no".

Last edited by HarryT; 09-06-2009 at 03:02 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #67
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
What if that relative lives in the same house with me (spouse)?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #68
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
So much for Astak's marketing arguments "written by Americans for Americans". Or perhaps RobertB was only speaking about the manual.

Yet, if they don't even have taken the care to have the English firmware proofed by a decent English speaker (not even asking for a native speaker here, mind you), I feel gloomy about the prospects of a bug-free firmware.
it's not necessarily that it was a simply translation to english, maybe they simply liked to call it that way.... the manual naturally refers to those two options as if they intended it that way.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #69
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
it's not necessarily that it was a simply translation to english, maybe they simply liked to call it that way.... the manual naturally refers to those two options as if they intended it that way.
Oh, so the very bad English is a feature, not a bug .

My guess is that it's just an automated Google translation from Chinese, and if Astak later wrote the manual without saying themselves "hey, the English sucks, let's correct it and send a simple excel file with the original sentences and the corresponding corrected sentences to the OEM so they can fix it", then they are either very lazy, or don't care, or perhaps the manual is an automated Google translation too.

Frankly, as the amount of words used in the various menu and options of a specialized device such as an ereader is quite low, it's would probably take less than 30mins to correct everything for a native speaker, and less than 2H to create a corrected firmware and check every menus back at the OEM factory.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #70
kanguro
kanguro began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro (I can feel it now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
My guess is that it's just an automated Google translation from Chinese
Don't underestimate the power of such a translation, like in the case of this chinese restaurant
kanguro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #71
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanguro View Post
Don't underestimate the power of such a translation, like in the case of this chinese restaurant

At least the Google language tools are somewhat decent, indeed things could have been worse.

And it may ends up as a nice conversation piece to explain why you started Chinese classes