Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Does it support .rtf with pictures?

I agree that .doc is not an ebook format. However, it's a very common document format, and most of the docs I work with are smaller in .doc format than in .rtf format.
It does support pictures in RTF. I just tried the DOC reader and it worked OK (it also supported pictures).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can d/l it to your PC or re-download to the device. Every ebook store I have bought from allows you to re-download your purchase whenever you want.
Yeah, well, tell that to the people who had books they purchased in good faith deleted from the Kindle.

When I was preparing to buy my first dedicated device in December of 2007, I was torn between the Kindle and the Cybook Gen3. Both devices were the same price. I was concerned about the Kindle's proprietary format, but not enough to deter me. Both devices were on backorder at the time, and I kept going back and forth.

Then I realized that the wireless connection on the Kindle went two ways. I was a little creeped out at the idea that there would be data mining going on of my reading habits. I ordered the Cybook and haven't regretted it.

About the only advantage of a wireless connection I can see is that it facilitates impulse buying. And I do a lot of that anyway--if I'm near a computer, I hop on BoB or Fictionwise and buy a book, then download it later. It's easy and fast to do a copy and paste to an SD card and then pop it back into the Cybook.

I personally don't think I would find the Kindle satisfactory for web surfing. I have a netbook and a smartphone for couch surfing, both of which provide a better web experience if not a necessarily fantastic one.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Yeah, well, tell that to the people who had books they purchased in good faith deleted from the Kindle.
A single exception does not prove a rule. Also, I am not suggesting that you rely on that store having to d/l available forever... but certainly long enough so that you can get to your computer and d/l and archival copy or copy the d/l from your device to your PC.

So, once again the argument that WiFi precludes you from having a copy on your computer is, in my opinion, a moot argument and a rationalization.

Quote:
Then I realized that the wireless connection on the Kindle went two ways. I was a little creeped out at the idea that there would be data mining going on of my reading habits. I ordered the Cybook and haven't regretted it.
How does Amazon mining data affect you? Do you use google, they mine your search data. Do you buy anything at Amazon, they mine your purchase history. Do you have an ISP, the probably mine your traffic.

There are still people today that won't shop on line. There are people that don't sign the back of their credit card because they think then someone can just copy it and buy something.

Most off this is just fair of the unknown and lack of understanding. If you understand crytography and how the internet actually works you would know that it is safer to type your credit card into a reputable buy online store than giving it to a waiter at a restaurant.

Quote:
About the only advantage of a wireless connection I can see is that it facilitates impulse buying. And I do a lot of that anyway--if I'm near a computer, I hop on BoB or Fictionwise and buy a book, then download it later.
If you have a predilection to impulse buying then not having a Kindle won't really make much of a difference. A statement you support by your own admission in the very paragraph when you talk about the Kindle facilitating it. It's funny that you claim it is a GOOD point about the Kindle, while many others say it would make them buy too many books.

Quote:
I personally don't think I would find the Kindle satisfactory for web surfing. I have a netbook and a smartphone for couch surfing, both of which provide a better web experience if not a necessarily fantastic one.
I agree with you... surfing the web on the Kindle is not the best way to do it. But then hammering in a nail to hang a picture with a screw driver handle isn't the best way to do that. They doesn't mean you don't do it because it is easy and convenient.

I still have seen no reason to NOT have WiFi/Wireless, other than the, it adds cost to the device argument which is or is not valid. How much will a WiFi chip add to the device? If you do have it you don't have to use it, of course.. unless USB is eliminated and I doubt that will happen.

Sorry we are getting a bit off topic here. WiFi is NOT a feature of the pocket pro... but I expect that it if were you folks would still be buying it... and you might even use the feature.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #19
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Sorry we are getting a bit off topic here. WiFi is NOT a feature of the pocket pro... but I expect that it if were you folks would still be buying it... and you might even use the feature.

BOb
Well, I'd be more likely to buy it from Astak or Bookeen or any of the OEM manufacturers, and maybe even Sony since they're moving into ePub, than from Amazon. I don't think Amazon is evil, either--I buy stuff from them all the time (including music downloads), and I love the convenience. But since Amazon's ebook system is closed and tied to the device, I feel like they have more of a stake in knowing my Kindle behavior, and it's just going a little TOO far for me. I know it won't bother some people, but it gave me the creeps. But I thought it germane to the thread to point out that I bought a non-wireless device specifically because it was a non-wireless device!

I think it's funny when I'm tracked online. My interests are so eclectic they probably don't know what to do with me. I bought a Palm Pre when it came out and I spend some time at the Pre fan sites, and everywhere I go now I see Pre ads from Sprint. And I've already BOUGHT one!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 AM   #20
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
The only negatives I can think of for the WiFi is that it would probably cut your battery life down like it does in my phone(HP iPaq 910c). Which isn´t a real reason not to have a device with this capability, unless your going to the field and won´t have a wall socket available. But then again I´m sure they would be smart enough to put on and off sitch for the wiFi as well.
I have a kindle 1 and I am lucky because I havent had a chance to actually use amazons Whispernet, since I live roughly 4,000 miles away from the US. It is something I think about (removal of data by Amazon) and say I´m not a fan of it, However I´m pretty sure Amazon isn´t going around and taking everyones books for the hell of it as well. But honestly the kindle 1 is an all around great device to me, simply for the fact that the majority of books I read, I can purchase from Amazon.
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
IMO, it would be very useful to potential buyers and owners if you got rid of the fluff in your first post and concentrate on a simple/complete list of features. Simply list the formats it supports (does it support rtf, you missed it in your post), and what DRM it suppports. List what formats it supports for TTS, wether TTS works with DRMd content. What is the resolution? What languages does it support. What is the current firmware version? ...

Maybe provide a link to the wiki page that compares reading devices, a direct link to a full specifications web page, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #22
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
PowerPoint Files

I noticed that the EZ-Reader also supports PPT files, so I put a powerpoint presentation I was giving on my SD card and used it to reveiw the presentation while on the plane.

It did not support all the bells and whisltes but allowed me to conveniently review the presentation.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #23
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I noticed that the EZ-Reader also supports PPT files, so I put a powerpoint presentation I was giving on my SD card and used it to reveiw the presentation while on the plane.

It did not support all the bells and whisltes but allowed me to conveniently review the presentation.
I saw that recently, and was curious how well it supported it.

Do you think its similar to OOOrg support of PPT?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I saw that recently, and was curious how well it supported it.

Do you think its similar to OOOrg support of PPT?
Not sure what OOOrg support is?????
Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #25
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open Office Org. sorry
Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #26
Musicman
Evangelist

Quote:
Open Office Org. sorry
You have to spell things out for us old folks.....

I played with open office for a while, but only used their equivalent to Word and Access..
Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

I recently used the Open Office equivalent of PPT and it did read the file, however, the imbedded fonts didn't work right, and the text animation/movements were stuttery, not t mention no support for imbedded avi files.

Not sure if the PEZ will support any animation of any kind, though. Even text movement.

However, How will the PEZ or EZ deal with imbedded fonts?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
Musicman
Evangelist

Quote:
I recently used the Open Office equivalent of PPT and it did read the file, however, the imbedded fonts didn't work right, and the text animation/movements were stuttery, not t mention no support for imbedded avi files.

Not sure if the PEZ will support any animation of any kind, though. Even text movement.

However, How will the PEZ or EZ deal with imbedded fonts?
The custom animation was not supported. Photos imbedded displayed. The presentation went into landscape mode automatically.

There is definelty room for improvement and I think future firmware upgrades can address the short comings. IMO this is just another example of the Astak lines flexibilitly and demonstrates other uses for their reading devices.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Wi-Fi not a feature... yet!

Quote:
A single exception does not prove a rule. Also, I am not suggesting that you rely on that store having to d/l available forever... but certainly long enough so that you can get to your computer and d/l and archival copy or copy the d/l from your device to your PC.

So, once again the argument that WiFi precludes you from having a copy on your computer is, in my opinion, a moot argument and a rationalization.

How does Amazon mining data affect you? Do you use google, they mine your search data. Do you buy anything at Amazon, they mine your purchase history. Do you have an ISP, the probably mine your traffic.

There are still people today that won't shop on line. There are people that don't sign the back of their credit card because they think then someone can just copy it and buy something.

Most off this is just fair of the unknown and lack of understanding. If you understand crytography and how the internet actually works you would know that it is safer to type your credit card into a reputable buy online store than giving it to a waiter at a restaurant.

If you have a predilection to impulse buying then not having a Kindle won't really make much of a difference. A statement you support by your own admission in the very paragraph when you talk about the Kindle facilitating it. It's funny that you claim it is a GOOD point about the Kindle, while many others say it would make them buy too many books.

I agree with you... surfing the web on the Kindle is not the best way to do it. But then hammering in a nail to hang a picture with a screw driver handle isn't the best way to do that. They doesn't mean you don't do it because it is easy and convenient.

I still have seen no reason to NOT have WiFi/Wireless, other than the, it adds cost to the device argument which is or is not valid. How much will a WiFi chip add to the device? If you do have it you don't have to use it, of course.. unless USB is eliminated and I doubt that will happen.

BOb
Dear Pilot Bob:

I have heard from the factory that Wi-Fi only adds about $18-$22 to a device. It is not a biggy.

The forthcoming and long awaited (I know) EZ Reader Plus will supposedly offer Wi-Fi when it is released. However, it will not be simply Wi-Fi alone. I know the design of the body is changing to more futuristic; and knowing all the features the factory added on the Pocket PRO over the origional EZ Reader... I would imagine that they will update a lot of features while they are at it.

This is conjecture on my part.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #30
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
might be a dum question but will the 9" have all the features of the ezreader pocket pro

whats the time laps for this reader.

also how come i cant find the pocket po on ebuyer or amazon for example ?
sian is offline   Reply With Quote