Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Oh, come on now, the briefs are no indication.
http://www.liquavista.com/company.html

Even if they dragged a member out of the gutter behind the nearest (drug) shooting gallery they would clean them up for the picture and not mention where they found the person.
Feel free to do more research. The fact that they have people that have developed and run large scale manufacturing of similar products is encouraging to me.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Feel free to do more research. The fact that they have people that have developed and run large scale manufacturing of similar products is encouraging to me.
Your first post sounded (read) as if your sole source was that company profile page.

The "If read on the Internet, it must be true" attitude is widespread and encourages people to not do their own fact checking.

A little research using independent information sources for the people described would confirm the descriptions posted in this case.

= = = =

Let me give an actual example from my own, very recent, experience.

A major insurance company hired a new person for the position of Executive Vice President, Claims.
That event was played up in all the business news publications.
The description the company gave of the man's background was (and still is) correct.

The state agency that tracks such things as customer complaints about insurance companies publishes a lot of statistics . . . .
Guess what, that insurance company tripled their number of customer complaints since the man took over that position.

I would have gone by the things printed in the respected business news publications myself, if circumstances hadn't caused me to look up his 'stats' at the state agency.
I caused myself a lot of grief by not doing my own research earlier.

Last edited by knc1; 05-19-2017 at 10:42 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #33
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The new web site does make me a lot more optimistic. They have hired some seriously good people by the looks of their brief CVs.

Perhaps it's not too optimistic to hope for a liquavista based Kindle by the end of 2020.
When did they launch it ? Never seen it before. Apparently they're still looking to hire people so I can't see it being released anytime soon unfortunately

Does amazon have a patent on making electrwetting displays ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #34
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Feel free to do more research.
Can you post the sources ? I dont seem to find any new info
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
When did they launch it ? Never seen it before. Apparently they're still looking to hire people so I can't see it being released anytime soon unfortunately

Ah, so, you haven't read the summary CV s yet.

The did even better, they hired one of the patent holders.
Owning the patent holder is even better than owning the patent.
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Can you post the sources ? I dont seem to find any new info
All but one holds Phd degree(s) - you should be able to just search for them by name.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Amazon owns LiquaVista which owns lots of electrowetting patents, assigned by the patent holders when LiquaVista was spun off from Philips in 2006 as a separate company. The technology had been under development for some years by Philips before that.

See this thread from 2006.

They have not yet launched a commercial product, but they appear to be gearing up for mass production of displays.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-20-2017 at 09:02 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And we've seen a lot of products announced (and appearing to maybe be in production) and still nothing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And we've seen a lot of products announced (and appearing to maybe be in production) and still nothing.
I don't recall seeing any products with Liquavista displays announced. Can you give some examples, please, Jon?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't recall seeing any products with Liquavista displays announced. Can you give some examples, please, Jon?
I wasn't mentioning Liquavista based products. Just that we see a lot of products announced say at CES and then we get nothing from there.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I wasn't mentioning Liquavista based products. Just that we see a lot of products announced say at CES and then we get nothing from there.
I have even seen such outlandish claims as things like JSWolf is going to buy a Kindle.
Better that a person holds their breath, waiting for Liquavista than waiting for that to happen.

Last edited by knc1; 05-20-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #43
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Digital Reader is reporting an unconfirmed rumor that LiquaVista may be shutting down.

Quote:
There is an unconfirmed report coming out of the Netherlands today that Amazon is shutting down its screen tech subsidiary. Citing unnamed sources, tech blog Bits &Chips claims that Amazon decided last year that it would close Liquavista. Amazon is reportedly busy dismantling the startup, and plans to phase out the staff in the course of the coming year.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-15-2018 at 08:34 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #44
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
I think most people who buy an Oasis do it for bragging rights. There's no other reason to buy one at that price and awful design.

I bought an Oasis for the 32Gb size, but I returned it because I didn't like they design. It was awkward for me to hold.

Luckily I just got a referb Paperwhite Manga on w00t.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
I bought an Oasis for the 32Gb size, but I returned it because I didn't like they design. It was awkward for me to hold.

Luckily I just got a referb Paperwhite Manga on w00t.
Personally, I like the design of the Kobo Aura H2O. That would be similar to a Voyage/PW with just a larger screen.