Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #121
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
In the past two weeks Sony have added 1750 new titles (a 4.0% increase) and now have about 45,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers with an average of 98 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since September. The greatest percentage increases are in the categories of Religion (13%) and Juvenile Fiction (50%).

In the same period Amazon have added 4800 new titles (a 3.7% increase) and now have about 136,000 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 202 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since November.
Interesting. I wonder if this is a specific publisher coming on line. Certainly, I don't think that Juvenile Fiction is a big target category for Sony.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #122
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if this is a specific publisher coming on line. Certainly, I don't think that Juvenile Fiction is a big target category for Sony.
No, just another area they've spent a little effort filling out their offerings a bit. They only added Juvenile Fiction as a category two months ago with some titles by Beverly Cleary but have added some from other authors so that they now have a total of 99 ebooks in the category.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #123
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
What I am actually waiting for is to see if Sony catches up in the IT / Computing category. Amazon really kills Sony in this area and I am really hoping with the Oreily migration that the Sony store starts to beef up this section. I know it's part of the reason I have been slow to pull the trigger on a 505 over the Kindle.
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #124
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
What I am actually waiting for is to see if Sony catches up in the IT / Computing category. Amazon really kills Sony in this area and I am really hoping with the Oreily migration that the Sony store starts to beef up this section. I know it's part of the reason I have been slow to pull the trigger on a 505 over the Kindle.
I totally agree, That is one Category I would love to see improved on. however I find with those books I tend to like the print versions better. I end up flipping back and forth alot, Hard to do on a Reader.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #125
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I totally agree, That is one Category I would love to see improved on. however I find with those books I tend to like the print versions better. I end up flipping back and forth alot, Hard to do on a Reader.

JJ
In your mind, would the lack of a search mechanism also cripple these books on a Sony compared to a Kindle? Just curious.
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #126
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
In your mind, would the lack of a search mechanism also cripple these books on a Sony compared to a Kindle? Just curious.
It would certainly kill it for me,

I got into ebooks in the first place when a former employer decided all IT staffers should have PDAs. IT wasn't clear what I was supposed to do with it, so I went looking for things that could help me do my job. One of my first discoveries was software that would let me take electronic forms of the documentation for systems I worked with and put them on my PDA in a searchable format. I could carry a systems library in my pocket, and look up what I needed to know.

Not having a search function would be a deal-breaker.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #127
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Oh very much so, especially without a keyboard, (No I dont think I will get a Kindle now/Yet) This is a source of contention for me. I am still agonizing over my choice. Computer books in general have never been a cover to cover read for me, I may go thru it once that way but then I highlight what I want to focus on and go from there.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #128
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post

JJ
It's funny. Of all the genres of books. I hate computer books (physically) the most. They are often too big and too cumbersome for me and flipping back and forth is even more of an issue. I use safari and make notes / bookmarks on my digital copies and figure some similar system would be useful in an reader.
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #129
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks Sony have added 1000 new titles (a 2.2% increase) and now have about 46,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers with an average of 96 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since September. The greatest percentage increases in the past two weeks are in the categories of Religion (9%) and Business (5%).

In the same period Amazon have added 6800 new titles (a 4.8% increase) and now have about 143,000 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 219 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since November.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #130
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
It's funny. Of all the genres of books. I hate computer books (physically) the most. They are often too big and too cumbersome for me and flipping back and forth is even more of an issue. I use safari and make notes / bookmarks on my digital copies and figure some similar system would be useful in an reader.
MobiReader for the PC and Pocket PC have this feature. So that navigating around is quite easy.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #131
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks Sony have added 900 new titles (a 2.0% increase) and now have about 47,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers with an average of 94 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since September. The greatest percentage increases in the past two weeks are in the categories of Romance (6%) and Religion (5%).

In the same period Amazon have added about 6500 new titles (a 4.6% increase) and now have about 149,000 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 230 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since November.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #132
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Does anyone know if Amazon Kindle books will work with the Sony 505 after the firmware upgrade?
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #133
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejereader View Post
Does anyone know if Amazon Kindle books will work with the Sony 505 after the firmware upgrade?
They will not. You can't even buy Kindle ebooks unless you own a Kindle (or at least have one registered to your Amazon account.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #134
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejereader View Post
They won't. The Kindle uses the Mobipocket ebook format, which is not supported on the Sony Reader. You would need to convert the Mobi book to LRF or ePub that the Sony Reader supports, and DRM would get in the way.

And as mentioned, you can't even buy a Kindle book unless you have a Kindle with a device PID registered at Amazon.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #135
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks Sony have added 600 new titles (a 1.3% increase) and now have about 48,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers with an average of 92 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since September. The greatest percentage increases in the past two weeks are in the categories of Religion (4.5%) and Technology (3.1%).

In the same period Amazon have added about 8500 new titles (a 5.7% increase) and now have about 158,000 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 250 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since November.

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!