Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #151
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
FYI, I tend to keep on eye only on the "Bluefire Reader App" thread here on Mobile Read, so if you've got suggestions or bug reports that's the best place to make sure I see it. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread too given the Stanza issues. I would not make the claim that Bluefire is the best replacement for Stanza, as some of the other apps might be a better fit for some users. Just trying to stay abreast of what we need to be doing to make our new ex-stanza users more happy.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #152
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Shameless "advertisement": Since many of you seem to have tried iOS ebook readers in extenso, you're all more than qualified to look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154061 and help!
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #153
bbr
bbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with others

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
We'd love to have you, but we know we have a long way to go to match the awesome feature set of Stanza. Working on it...
What language are you coding in, and is there any way we can help?
bbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #154
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
What language are you coding in, and is there any way we can help?
The underling rendering engine is C++ (Adobe Reader Mobile SDK) and the app-layer is objective C. We've created what you might think of as a "glue layer" that allows the app layer to talk to the renderer in Objective C. The Adobe C++ libraries are very complex (DRM handling, PDF rendering, EPUB rendering). Due to the DRM support, even the Library view is a complex composite.

Our Android apps are similar, though written in Java rather than Objective C at the app layer.

Last edited by Micah; 10-19-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: sentence fragment
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #155
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Anyone been in touch with Amazon and got a definite "no" with regards to updating Stanza? I'm on the brink of attempting a downgrade of my iPhone, just so I can continue to use it. Just not completely satisfied with the incumbents :-/.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #156
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Anyone been in touch with Amazon and got a definite "no" with regards to updating Stanza? I'm on the brink of attempting a downgrade of my iPhone, just so I can continue to use it. Just not completely satisfied with the incumbents :-/.
I'm not sure you'll find anyone in Amazon who'll give you any comment on Stanza, let alone a definite one!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #157
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'm not sure you'll find anyone in Amazon who'll give you any comment on Stanza, let alone a definite one!
LOL. No harm in asking though

I've failed to downgrade the phone, I no longer seem to have my old custom firmware and that is actually needed for the downgrade. Oh well, restoring (reluctantly) to iOS5 as I type and keeping my fingers crossed that Amazon do as they have done in the past, and simply come very late to the party.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #158
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
I've heard elsewhere that the lead developer for Stanza, and last of his team, left Amazon some time ago. While we can still hope, I think it's time to move on and find something else.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #159
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki5ck View Post
I've heard elsewhere that the lead developer for Stanza, and last of his team, left Amazon some time ago. While we can still hope, I think it's time to move on and find something else.
I think I am ultimately the source of that news (on the Stanza GetSatisfaction forum). Marc Prud'hommeaux (the original developer of Stanza and founder of Lexcycle) updated his LinkedIn profile back in May indicating he left Amazon. The CEO of Lexcycle left a few years back and had indicated at the time that Marc was the only Lexcycle/Stanza developer left at Amazon.

Marc hasn't updated recently, so he's either taking some time off to enjoy his Amazon buyout or he's stealthily working on his next project...
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #160
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredipusRex View Post
I think I am ultimately the source of that news (on the Stanza GetSatisfaction forum). Marc Prud'hommeaux (the original developer of Stanza and founder of Lexcycle) updated his LinkedIn profile back in May indicating he left Amazon. The CEO of Lexcycle left a few years back and had indicated at the time that Marc was the only Lexcycle/Stanza developer left at Amazon.

Marc hasn't updated recently, so he's either taking some time off to enjoy his Amazon buyout or he's stealthily working on his next project...
Marc is a great guy-always was available to users to answer questions and listen to suggestions-hope he is doing something he loves
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #161
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
OK, I've got access to my calibre library now, but for the life of me can NOT work out how to get it to talk to either i2Reader (which I bought earlier) or Megareader. I'm defeated once more. I can get books into iTunes books for iBooks, but not for anything else. I'm back to using drag and drop into listings under Apps for sharing. It works, if not as elegantly as calibre.

BTW anyone using i2Librarian to get books to their i2Reader? Haven't been able to get that to work, either.

Right now, I am down to Kobo which has slipped from first place, Bluefire and i2Reader. Both of these last seem acceptable in terms of how they can be set up. Kobo is OK too but more limited. Megareader has completely got me bamboozled, in terms of use of calibre. It simply does not see it.
Hi kyteflyer,

I use two methods of getting eBooks into i2Reader.

1) Set up a catalogue - I use Calibre2OPDS - when I had problems with setting things up they were very helpful.

2) Drag and drop into iTunes. You can copy (transfer) lots of books at the same time, unlike Stanza. Easy to use.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #162
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
@ kyteflyer I would appreciate it very much if you or anyone else with megreader or quickreader could test the app with the attached file. I would like to see if they support bold and italic.

Thank You to jackie_w for posting this file earlier.
I checked using Stanza on my desktop before transferring and no formatting works. Everything is displayed as standard text.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #163
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which features of iOS 5 are compelling enough to make it worthwhile upgrading even if one loses Stanza?

Of course, even yesterday night, I again wished that Stanza had an offline, built in dictionary. And had a one-tap access to the definitions. And, could use the 1913 Webster unabridged as one of its dictionaries.

So, maybe I should start looking around.

Does anyone know if eReader breaks with iOS 5, too?
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #164
bbr
bbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with othersbbr plays well with others

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post

The thing is, they are releasing the Kindle Fire in (i think) November.

It's android based, so it would seem they are stepping away from Apple entirely.
bbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #165
unintended_u
unintended_u began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch
Sigh.. I miss stanza. I've tried Bluefire (so far the best I think), Ibooks, Megareader.. But the one thing I'm missing is being able to make collections/subjects. That's such an important feature for me, but why can't I seem to find it in any app?
unintended_u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza