Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Opinions on the Samsung Galaxy S 4G?

Anyone do any reading on it? How is it as a phone in general? What about as a "smart" phone?

T-mobile has a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S 4G on its prepaid phone page for $349. I only spend about $5-10 per month on calls/text messages, and I have access to enough wifi hotspots that I'm pretty sure I can get by with an occasional data "day pass" ($1.50 for 24 hours).

My current phone is a prepaid "dumb" phone. I also had--until my toddler decided to give it a bath--a 2nd generation iPod Touch that I was planning to replace until I saw the T-mobile deal.

So is the Galaxy worth an extra $120 vs. keeping my old phone and adding a new (or more likely refurbished) iPod Touch? Keep in mind that I have about $50 in apps (including several that are not available for android), and I have a MacBook (not sure if Android phones have any problems getting along with Apple computers).
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Response

The 4G is pretty much the vibrant with 4g data speeds as opposed to 3g. That said I have a vibrant and its a great phone totally recommend it. I it's been my best phone ever. He screen is brilliant and the phone is very light, you will be amazed.

Of course the phone is a year old now, so there are much better phones out that come with dual core and gingerbread. The those phones however are more expensive.

As far as working with a mac, android is not really made to tether to a pc much of the synchronization is done over the web via google accounts. There are applications that can file browser a shared directory. And if you are in a bind and must connect to your pc it will act as a mass storage device. There are some phones that do have a hard time with macs, I don't know if the galaxy is oneof them.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, =X=.

Do Android phones get operating system updates, or do they stick with whatever was originally loaded? From what I understand, the Galaxy S is running Froyo... can I update it to Gingerbread (and do I *want* to update it? LOL!) or is that for Samsung to decide?

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my brother has a Vibrant. Guess I'll have to test it out! Although, he does rather hate Apple with a firey passion, so I'm not sure he'd be willing to let me test its compatibility with my mac.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
As smart phones go all galaxy s phone are great and you can get most apps that you need for free on Android they might not be as visually appealing as on iOS but they get the job done and usually can do a lot more. I love the galaxy s screen but some people don't like it I would advice checking it out yourself first.

If you like to play around with the device jailbreaking etc you might have problems with a mac as far as I know their is no official mac software from samsung but like =X= said their is no real need for a pc with an android device. If you do get the device and would like to mess around with it you might try this Heimdall opensource software that can be used for flashing on Mac
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755265
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Thank you, =X=.

Do Android phones get operating system updates, or do they stick with whatever was originally loaded? From what I understand, the Galaxy S is running Froyo... can I update it to Gingerbread (and do I *want* to update it? LOL!) or is that for Samsung to decide?

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my brother has a Vibrant. Guess I'll have to test it out! Although, he does rather hate Apple with a firey passion, so I'm not sure he'd be willing to let me test its compatibility with my mac.
All the international galaxy S phone have already received gingerbread I really don't get why american version haven't been updated yet. But just today I believe an official gingerbread rom was leaked for the AT&T version of galaxy s so I think you guys might start getting the updates at long last
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
stickybuns
Evangelist

Thank you, Dopedangel. In regards to connecting to a PC and/or Mac: I mostly want to be able to do this so I can upload my music library.

Oh, any recommendations for an Android app for listening to podcasts?

Most of my apps are replaceable, but I haven't been able to find an Android equivalent for iSpin Toolkit.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard

Your phone will get detected as usb device you can just copy any files you want to it no problems
Regard spin application is a very specialized app was not able to find it. Maybe you can try to contact its author to port it to android.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another thumbs up for the Galaxy S line

I have the Sprint version (Epic 4G) which is a little different than the others in that it has a slide out keyboard, but otherwise it's the same. As =X= says the screen is excellent.

Some of the apps I use all the time...
DropBox
Kindle
Out of Milk
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a program called doubletwist. Its sole purpose is to wirelessley sync itunes content to your android phone. I've never used this app , but it has gotten great reviews.

Google has a very nice podcast app. I can't remember the name. The me personally I use an app called podtrapper. The it's by far the best podcast app and the dev for that app is just great.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
stickybuns
Evangelist

Thanks guys!

I managed to find an android app called SpinTech that has some, but not all, of the same calculators as iSpin. Still not sure if it will make a decent replacement as the included calculators are things that can be easily calculated by hand and the missing ones are, of course, the ones that I really miss having.

Can someone explain the whole internal memory, internal SD card, external SD card thing? Preferably with small words and using hand puppets? I did see one review for the Galaxy S that said it needed to be jailbroken in order to efficiently load apps with the available memory... or something like that. Review is here. Anyway, is this true?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Can someone explain the whole internal memory, internal SD card, external SD card thing? Preferably with small words and using hand puppets? I did see one review for the Galaxy S that said it needed to be jailbroken in order to efficiently load apps with the available memory... or something like that. Review is here. Anyway, is this true?
It's jut internal memory. External memory is an SD card(microSD really). Internal memory cannot be removed or increased. External is just a microSD card that can be removed from the phone, so you can effectively have multiple SD card.

You don't have to root the phone, to install apps period. You can even install apps from different Markets like Amazon's Appstore or from websites directly.

What the reviewer was saying was how to removed apps that came from the phone provided like T-Mobile, where you do not have access to remove those apps. As a root user you can.

=X=
Old 06-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
stickybuns
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It's jut internal memory. External memory is an SD card(microSD really). Internal memory cannot be removed or increased. External is just a microSD card that can be removed from the phone, so you can effectively have multiple SD card.

You don't have to root the phone, to install apps period. You can even install apps from different Markets like Amazon's Appstore or from websites directly.

What the reviewer was saying was how to removed apps that came from the phone provided like T-Mobile, where you do not have access to remove those apps. As a root user you can.

=X=
Does it make any difference if an app is stored on the internal memory vs. the SD card? I understand that the t-mobile apps can't be move/removed without rooting. Do certain apps need to be stored in the internal memory?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Does it make any difference if an app is stored on the internal memory vs. the SD card? I understand that the t-mobile apps can't be move/removed without rooting. Do certain apps need to be stored in the internal memory?

is that T-mobile specific apps? Because one of the features of Froyo (v2.2) was having the ability to move apps to your sd card.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
There is a program called doubletwist. Its sole purpose is to wirelessley sync itunes content to your android phone. I've never used this app , but it has gotten great reviews.

Google has a very nice podcast app. I can't remember the name. The me personally I use an app called podtrapper. The it's by far the best podcast app and the dev for that app is just great.
I use Googlelisten for my podcast. It's good but it can get wonky in areas of not so good coverage. And in Boston Verizon is NOT the Holy Grail.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
stickybuns
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
is that T-mobile specific apps? Because one of the features of Froyo (v2.2) was having the ability to move apps to your sd card.
Yeah, the T-mobile installed apps. It's quite possible that I misunderstood the review that I read, but it sounded like rooting was needed in order to get rid of the pre-installed apps.