Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #61
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghentj View Post
Good to hear you got it working! It makes a big difference when you no longer care how many apps you have installed because you have so much room now!

I'm not sure why it seems everyone has to try different things to get it working (I'd be curious to know how many were able to just follow the steps straight up and make this work). Seems like you just have to spend time with it to get it going, but I'm glad I stuck with it as well. What's interesting is that I didn't even use sdformatter, but tried other countless ways to do it (including booting puppy Linux to use Linux tools to partition/format the card). My final step happened to be just creating that directory.
Well, had a nice suprise. I downloaded Contract Killer, a free app from the Amazon App store. As it was starting up, my PE was frozen for 30 secs, then it asked me to download a data file. Asked if I wanted to put it on SDCard. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but I said yes, and it downloaded the "Big Bounty.big" data file which I later discovered was 217megs. My app storage or what link2sd calls "internal" shows 180M free so I was worried. I realize the download was really going into my /sdcard 20G 1st partition so I was elated!

Too bad my download stopped at 151M. I lost wifi connection and my PE rebooted! That's another issue.
Gary

Update: about the app freezing the PE, I read the app does it to other devices too. I was able to restart the download after reconnecting to the wifi. Download is going...

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 08-08-2011 at 02:28 AM.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #62
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Restore Library files

I noticed after the mount point swap that I no longer can access my library. No surprised since someone else mentioned it.

Anyways, to get our library back, copy /mnt/extsdcard/.edge /mnt/sdcard/.edge (do a recursive copy).

I noticed that I'm missing my calendar e-ink notes. Where are those kept?

Also, I had a scare yesterday. After ejecting my usb0 memory card, my sd-card was unmounted. I think I accidently unmounted the sdcard instead of the usb0 memcard (or it may be an error in ejecting but I think it was my issue). When I noticed that, I rebooted, but it came up with sdcard is blank and all my programs I moved over were not accessible. I had to reboot again for it to mount it correctly.

Gary
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #63
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
What use are you guys making of the /extsdcard (internal storage) partition after setting up Link2SD?
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #64
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
What use are you guys making of the /extsdcard (internal storage) partition after setting up Link2SD?
Minitool on the pc. Probably one of the better ones.
Gary
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #65
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Gary
I have not the foggiest idea to what you are referring!
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #66
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
I have not the foggiest idea to what you are referring!
lol... i misread your questions.. I thought you were tasking how we made our partition, but you asked what are we "making of /extsdcard partition after setting up link2sd".

What do you mean by that? How much memory we allocated? What format?
I have it as ext3 and i partitioned my 32 gig card as 20/12 (fat/ext3).
Gary
Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #67
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

I'm talking about the 3GB internal storage, which in Root Explorer is /extsdcard (and in Storage on my PE is listed as the SDCard; the Internal Storage listed there is the first partition of my SDCard*).

I have books, pictures, music stored on the first partition of my SDCard. I was just wondering how folks were using the 3GB internal storage. It seems kind of useless unless a person were to run out of room on there SDCard...too many books, too much music.

It's not impossible I've not set this up right. But it's working fine and most of my user apps are moved to the sdext2 partition.

*my 16 GB SD Card being partitioned: FAT32: 11GB
Ext3: 3.83GB.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #68
Leesterz
Leesterz began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Dualbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax78 View Post
I'm running into a mount script error when I select my EXT3 partition on the Link2SD Set up. The error reads:

do_mount: do_mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 type ext3 flags 0x8000 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 s ext3 rwflag 0x8000 mount: Invalid argument

Is this part of the permissions issue someone else had mentioned?

Max
I am seeing this exact same problem. I read the entire thread and tried a lot of different things with no luck.

I'm curious about the do_mount error -- i see something about /data/sdext type ext3... I'm thinking there might be a problem with that directory? I did create one myself like someone else had suggested, but it's just an empty directory.

[edit] I forgot to mention that my sd card is mounted and I see 6.46 gigs total space under Internal Storage, which is the amount of the FAT32 directory of my SD card. So, the card is mounted correctly and the files that I copy/pasted into the system folder also seem to be correct.

Leesterz

Last edited by Leesterz; 08-18-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Leesterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #69
forko23
forko23 began at the beginning.

How am I to be able to copy these files to the system/etc directory? I'm very new to all of this but I've computered for a few years yet I have no Unix experience. Can someone please point me in the right direction as I too am out of space for apps on my PE.
forko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #70
jmgazer
jmgazer began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Gary
Using Mini Tool for SD card (8GB), EE reads the SD with 4GB size partition, but when I use the remainder unallocated for ext2, 3, or 4 the EE says "Damaged SD card". What am I doing wrong? What do I do with the unallocated space?

Jim

Now when I make a second partition with ext2 I get "Blank SD Card", and files and folders dissappear. Can see them in windows, and of course not the ext2 partition except in the Mini Tool program.

Last edited by jmgazer; 08-25-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Retry
jmgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #71
DarthClem
DarthClem began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

The two tabs in Library Storage are still reversed, i.e., internal storage is the sdcard and the sdcard tab opens internal storage. Is there any way to correct that?
Did anyone ever answer this? Because that is happening to me too. I've been through this thread several times over the last couple of hours as I have attempted to get this process working on my PE, but I didn't see an answer.

So is this a side effect of the process or did I screw something up along the way?

Also, I did get everything else to work (eventually). Big thanks to Kenny and attemptress!
DarthClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #72
DarthClem
DarthClem began at the beginning.

Device: none
Okay, I must have done something to screw things up. Whenever I try to open an item from the library, such as any image or book that came with the eDGe, I get an error that says "The file could not be found, please try again later." -- even though I can see the thumbnail.
DarthClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #73
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

This happened to me also. I just deleted items that wouldn't open (everything) and re-added to Library. With Kenny's repartitioning and Link2SD installed the Library is now stored on the 1st (main) partition of the sdCard, i.e:
/sdcard/.edge/.esi-content

I changed the tab name "Library" to "sd..esi" to remind myself.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #74
Leesterz
Leesterz began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Dualbook
Hey all. So I tried doing this but haven't had any luck so far. I am going to try starting from scratch by undoing all of the changes I made. Can anyone post the text files that I replaced? I replaced them with the ones that were provided in the tutorial, their names are below.

vold.fstab.external.txt
vold.fstab.internal.txt

Again, I need the originals, not the modified ones. Thanks!

P.S. If you know the answer to my problem that would be much easier than starting over! Here's a quote from someone who's having the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax78 View Post
I'm running into a mount script error when I select my EXT3 partition on the Link2SD Set up. The error reads:

do_mount: do_mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 type ext3 flags 0x8000 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 s ext3 rwflag 0x8000 mount: Invalid argument

Is this part of the permissions issue someone else had mentioned?

Max
Leesterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #75
roxcoel
roxcoel began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Hope this isn't a dumb question.. I would prefer to use the 3GB internal storage for apps /system files only and use sd card for all the misc stuff (books, music, pics). Assuming I can get all transferred to SD card first, would it work to just apply the same techniques a second time, to reassign apps back to the larger internal storage partition?
roxcoel is offline   Reply With Quote