Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
NOOK for Mac Updated

Just went to download the (once-terrible) NOOK for Mac software, and found that it had been updated, not only to actually include the NOOK branding, but with a very slick new look.

It at last works properly with the Barnes & Noble NOOKbook store, with book downloading and all.

Also, I've noticed that there's now a combined view for both your B&N NOOKbooks as well as your own "sideloaded books". Dare I be so optimistic as to say that this combined view may also become the norm for the NOOK classic?

Well, just wanted to put it out there, and if you're a Mac OS X user who has been hanging out for an update, GET IT!
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Does it still download ebooks in pdb format, or will it do ePub now?

ETA:Regardless of what format it downloads I can't use it, because I'm still running 10.5 and the new Nook for Mac wants at least 10.6. Oh well, I can always download my books as ePubs through Safari.

Last edited by NNolan; 04-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'm on 10.5 as well. Those on 10.6, enjoy.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Looks and works like a rebranded NookStudy app, down to crashing the first 4 times I tried opening it*; only with marginally fewer features.

Also doesn't read .pdb files any more, which I think is a mistake considering how many Mac users must have by now.

It seems rather unhelpful of B&N to hide and completely redirect to the new version any attempts to download the old one, if it's going to

a) be incompatible with pre-10.6 Macs, of which there is likely a significant installed base, some of whom won't be able to upgrade due to PPC, and

b) still serve Mac website users .pdb files which they now won't have anything they can read it upon.

But I hope this means they're working on getting the highlighting and note-taking syncable with actual Nooks, because that would be pretty cool.

* But the 5th one stayed up!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
The new update is being slammed in the reviews in the Itunes store...Ill stay away until the update is updated...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Sorry, didn't realise it was only for 10.6, as I don't run 10.5

Also, AFAIK you can't get NOOK for Mac through the iTunes store or the Mac App Store..?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Skip Wyona
Enthusiast
Skip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Nook for Mac does not work on my Mac and I have 10.6.7.My excitement over the new Nook touchpad e-reader is fading fast.
Skip Wyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why don't they disclose what the system requirements are? Snow Leopard isn't even 2 years old and they're alienating users of earlier versions of OS X. Ridiculous. Who are the knuckleheads signing off on these development projects.

Last edited by SCION; 06-02-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Wrong choice of word
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Skip Wyona
Enthusiast
Skip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Nook For Mac

After remembering that software for Macs are often written by Windows developers who do not always understand Mac software, I reinstalled Nook For Macs again and got it to function. It looks good so far but I cannot understand, after a cursory look at the app, why it must be OS 10.6 only. I can only guess bad software development. But at least they are trying.
Skip Wyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

I'll be upgrading to OS X Lion (from Leopard) next month. Wonder if the NOOK app will work with this version.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
If that's an upgrade, the previous version must have been pretty horrible. It's still the least-functional of the Mac bookstore reader programs.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Actually, the older version was pretty good for just reading individual books (none of the fancy library or syncing functions, but you could make notes and highlights and customize the fonts and background patterns).

It just had this nasty tendency to crash on DRM-ed ePubs and was getting out of date because you could only read DRM-ed PDB or non-DRM ePub, so your B&N purchases were mostly unusable.

Personally, the new NOOK for Mac is kind of a step down, even if it does now support ePub. B&N users are by far better off installing NookStudy for Mac, which has the exact same features and more, and decent enough to be a worthy replacement for the old B&N eReader.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #13
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative

It DOES work in Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4, for anyone who was interested, so this is an indication that it *should* work seamlessly in the final release. I can attest to this personally, having install Lion DP4.
Anyway, in terms of usability, to each their own. I like its styling but others don't, and you can't please everyone can you?