Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #1981
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook HD+, HTC One M8
Shards of Honor improved considerably after Cordelia's homecoming. The characters and events seemed much more grounded from there on. I started the second book
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #1982
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
I think the first half was the first book she ever wrote. It sat for a while, not published, while the Miles books in the series took off. Later, she polished it up (and split it into two books) and published it as a "prequel" sort of thing.

If I recall what I read. (I'm sure I got if from her web site, so go look!)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #1983
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished "Into the Storm" by Larry Correa. A nice short read (8 hours) that was well done.

Just started The Sword of Summer, by Rick Riordan. When I read the ebook, I remembered that the book started kind of slow, but improved a bit once the main character got killed. (how's that for a teaser? ) But it still wasn't one of my favorite Riordan books. The reader starts slowly. Hopefully, he will improve or at least grow on me. If it doesn't improve soon, I might skip to the next book in my list (Into the Wild, the sequel to Into the Storm).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #1984
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Currently listening to Double Share, book #4 of the Trader's Tale from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series from Nathan Lowell. This is a re-read of an old favourite. A comfortable and enjoyable book that is the complete opposite of dystopian. The reader, Jeffrey Kafer, is good, the book is a pleasure, and I know that ultimately nothing bad will happen. Though in this one, there might just be a few challenges before we get there.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #1985
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Still going back and forth on whither to pull the plug and move on or finish The Sword of Summer. I'm going to be driving around a bit tomorrow, so by the end of the day, I should have my mind made up. Part of the reason I want to finish it is because I've already purchased the second book in the series, part of it is because there have been other books where the reader finally caught their stride after the first hour or so.

Reading an audiobook (or narrating as I like to call it) is different than reading from a picture book for a bunch of pre-K kids. Narrating is more using a natural speaking cadence like you are telling a story around a fire, while reading for a bunch of pre-K, the cadence tends to be more staccato as you carefully pronounce each word. The reader in this book started out staccato, but over the last chapter has been more natural.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #1986
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
...The reader in this book started out staccato, but over the last chapter has been more natural.

So the second movement of this book is the lagato movement. Let us know if it concludes with a presto movement!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #1987
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A comfortable and enjoyable book that is the complete opposite of dystopian.
...which would be Utopian....
I'd don't know if I'd describe Lowell's "Golden Age" quite as a Utopia, but clearly, as the name "Golden Age" implies, we see it with a rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook.

Also, in saying "I know that ultimately nothing bad will happen" you might be either spoiling it for folks, or setting some folks up for disappointment.
I don't think it's spoiler to say, since Lowell's said it himself, that the books get darker as the Trader's Tale goes on....

BTW, I LOVE the series. About time for a re-listen, I think.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #1988
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...which would be Utopian....
I'd don't know if I'd describe Lowell's "Golden Age" quite as a Utopia, but clearly, as the name "Golden Age" implies, we see it with a rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook.

Also, in saying "I know that ultimately nothing bad will happen" you might be either spoiling it for folks, or setting some folks up for disappointment.
I don't think it's spoiler to say, since Lowell's said it himself, that the books get darker as the Trader's Tale goes on....

BTW, I LOVE the series. About time for a re-listen, I think.
Certainly not Utopian, but definitely "rather positive and fondly nostalgic outlook". The space opera equivalent of an English Cozy, in some ways. And definitely books that lend themselves to re-read/re-listen.

They do, indeed, get a bit darker as the series progresses. I'm in the middle of a re-listen, or actually getting towards the end of it. Just started Owner's Share. We should soon have an Audible version of To Fire Called, the latest one. I know it's under contract and the narrator will be Jeffrey Kafer, who has done the previous ones.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:26 PM   #1989
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)

Whenever I get on the treadmill in the exercise room of the hotel at which I'm staying in Houston, I put on The Chopin Manuscript by Jeffery Deaver, David Hewson, James Grady, S.J. Rozan, Erica Spindler, John Ramsey Miller, David Corbett, John Gilstrap, Joseph Finder, Jim Fusilli, Peter Spiegelman, Ralph Pezzullo, Lisa Scottoline, P.J. Parrish, Lee Child, and (again) Jeffery Deaver; a "round robin" mystery-thriller. I'm about halfway through now and it's been quite enjoyable so far.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; Today at 01:39 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #1990
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
You'd get quite a workout just reading that list of author names aloud!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations