Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #46
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingturtle View Post

The 8GB, like my 1st-Gen Kindle Fire, is really too small, since you can only use about a portion of that (4gb maybe?) but since I have my Nexus to install any big Android-related apps (plus Amazon let's you install the Amazon Appstore on the Nexus), I don't really need that much space on my Kindle Fire HD. Also read the tip about using Calibre Companion to get books from my PC (gotta try that out).
Congrats! Good choices! My 2013 Fire HD is only 8gb, which is fine, for me. I mainly use it to read on, a couple card games, web browsing, news apps. I have only used half the available space and I have at least 1000 books on it. I like being able to browse my archive on the fire. I like reading on it, though most of my books are loaded through Calibre Companion and read with Moon+ Pro. Both of those apps are SO worth buying. And you can put them both on both of your tablets, just buy them from the Amazon App store. (Unless you know how to side load an app). If you have Amazon music you can stream it on the Fire. So really unless you love to play lots of games, or want to store music or movies on the device, the 8gb is fine.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #47
flyingturtle
flyingturtle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi booklover6, and thanks.

I went ahead and took your suggestion and bought Calibre Companion -- the Amazon Coin payment system is actually kind of nice, I was able to get it free with my bonus 500 coins, and get some extra coins for my purchase. I got it set up and it works great.

I do have one question about Moon+ Pro. In the Amazon App Store for Moon+ Pro, it has a red "X" icon by my Kindle Fire HD 2013 from the drop-down list of devices (it has a green check mark for my Android device which is my Nexus 7). Despite that, I'm guessing I can still use this version of Moon+ Pro on my HD 2013?

Moon+ Pro on Amazon App store
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Reader-Pro/dp/B004TN7QPG
flyingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #48
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I bought my copy at the play store, then used Ex File Explorer to backup the app, then copied the apk to the Fire, and installed it that way.

I am sure Blossom will explain it much better, when she sees your post. She is the expert!

Last edited by booklover6; 02-24-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingturtle View Post
Hey, Blossom, I just joined this forum but wanted to say thanks for your posts about the new Kindles and also of the Nexus 7.

I was having a really hard time deciding on whether to buy the Kindle HDX or not and your posts helped me make my decision. I bought both the Nexus 7 2013 and Kindle HD 2013, best of both worlds. I never would have considered doing that, if I hadn't read your posts.

Both devices were on sale recently, plus with a few gift cards, I was able to buy both of them together for well under $300 -- not too much more than a HDX Kindle.
You're very welcome! I hope you love the Nexus 7 as much as I do. I use it for everything! I do agree having Google Play does make a world of difference. I mainly use my KFHD2 for videos and music but everything else I use the Nexus 7. I read only on the N7 now using Moon+ Pro as my reader app. I no longer read on eINK at all. I still keep my K4B around in case I need to read in the sun but that rarely ever happens. My Paperwhite and other Kindles just sit collecting dust. Front lit eReading is not for me.

Enjoy your tablets!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok, I bought my copy at the play store, then used Ex File Explorer to backup the app, then copied the apk to the Fire, and installed it that way.

I am sure Blossom will explain it much better, when she sees your post. She is the expert!
Does the Play version work on the Kindle Fire? I know the Mantano version wont but I have not tried Moon+ from the Play store. I have Moon+ on it from the Amazon app store.

What I would do is installed Amazon app store on the Nexus 7 and buy Moon+ from it. You should be able to back it up into a installable apk file using ES File Explorer's App Manager. I think only secure Play apps are blocked from backing up now without root not sure on Amazon store apps but you could try it.

I have two old Gingerbread devices I use to keep everything back up from each app store. It sucks that Kit Kat has blocked us from backing up Play secured apps.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #51
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Does the Play version work on the Kindle Fire? I know the Mantano version wont but I have not tried Moon+ from the Play store. I have Moon+ on it from the Amazon app store.
Yes I bought both Moon+ and Calibre Companion in the Play store. Using ES File explorer, backed up. Using Drop Box, or Copy, brought it onto the Fire. Successfully installed them both. Moon+ works great. With CC, I get a message every time I connect it wirelessly, that it doesn't appear to have a license. Still works, though.

OT - Just got a Kobo Aura HD, which is eink with front light, in a larger but still 4:3 size, and it is awesome. Yes the text is darker on the Nexus 7.2, but I really, really like reading on the Aura HD. It is the Cadillac of eink readers.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

What I would do is installed Amazon app store on the Nexus 7 and buy Moon+ from it. You should be able to back it up into a installable apk file using ES File Explorer's App Manager. I think only secure Play apps are blocked from backing up now without root not sure on Amazon store apps but you could try it.

I have two old Gingerbread devices I use to keep everything back up from each app store. It sucks that Kit Kat has blocked us from backing up Play secured apps.
Mantano (2.4.8) works fine on my Fire HD2, though I haven't tried the current version (2.4.12). My Android device is not on KitKat and never will be. Is the inability to back up what makes it 'not work' for you, or something else?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Mantano (2.4.8) works fine on my Fire HD2, though I haven't tried the current version (2.4.12). My Android device is not on KitKat and never will be. Is the inability to back up what makes it 'not work' for you, or something else?
Mantano works for me but Play version of Mantano doesn't work on the Kindle Fire it tells me the Google license is not found when I open it on my Kindle Fire. So I sideload the Amazon app store version of Mantano and it works with no problems.

On the Nexus 7 if not rooted you can't backup secure apps from the Play store. I don't know if this is a KitKat thing or before. I can however back up Play apps on my Gingerbread devices.

I really like Kit Kat if not just for immersion mode of Moon+ Pro it's awesome to have a full screen to read on.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #54
flyingturtle
flyingturtle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Hiya Blossom and thanks again for all your help.

And, yep, I pretty much had to do what you just described, in order to get Moon+ Pro on my Kindle HD.

The Google Play version of Moon+ Pro, which I bought first, was a no-go for me on my Kindle HD, because I couldn't backup the APK file of Moon+ Pro.

I then bought the Amazon version of Moon+ Pro on my Nexus, and then I was able to copy the APK and transfer it to my Kindle HD using a combination of the App Backup & Restore app and ES File Explorer.

And, as you mentioned, the paid Google Play apps can't be copied (on KitKat). The App Backup & Restore app shows a locked icon next to the paid Google Play apps however the paid Amazon apps have no icon and can be copied.

I also tried the APK Downloader Chrome Extension but only the free apps from Google Play were downloadable in my Chrome browser. I didn't try the extension with the Amazon App Store website -- maybe I can download paid Amazon apps using this extension.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their guidance. I have Calibre Companion and Moon+ Pro working on both devices and I'm a very ecstatic camper. I carry both tablets everywhere I go now.

If I buy Mantano, I'll just buy it from the Amazon AppStore and sideload it to my Kindle HD.
flyingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #55
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well, somehow I did get the Play version of Moon+ Pro onto my unrooted Kindle Fire HD 2013. So, I must have backed it up, transferred and installed it. I do not own the Amazon version.

And it looks SO nice on the 2013 Fire HD. It's great for reading on, though the tiny Kindle Fire menu thing at the bottom of the screen is slightly annoying.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well, somehow I did get the Play version of Moon+ Pro onto my unrooted Kindle Fire HD 2013. So, I must have backed it up, transferred and installed it. I do not own the Amazon version.

And it looks SO nice on the 2013 Fire HD. It's great for reading on, though the tiny Kindle Fire menu thing at the bottom of the screen is slightly annoying.
You probably did it before the tablet updated to Kit Kat or did you update to Kit Kat? It originally came with Jelly Bean installed.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #57
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

BTW, do you know of a good video player that will play ripped DVDs?

ETA: The files I ripped are *.VOB, *.IFO, and *.BUP.
Jack, I was going to recommend Movie Gallery, by DVD Catalyst, but then I saw your file types. I think MG only works with MP4 files, but I'm sure Mr. Catalyst could tell you.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You probably did it before the tablet updated to Kit Kat or did you update to Kit Kat? It originally came with Jelly Bean installed.
I'm not sure, I did it all the same day, so maybe I did back up the apk before I updated to KitKat.

OR maybe I backed it up from my Nook, which is not kitkat. That would explain it.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #59
connie2000
Connoisseur
connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire HD 6", PW2, sony 950, Fire Phone, kindle fire HDX 9, Huawei Mate
Quote:
I'm not sure, I did it all the same day, so maybe I did back up the apk before I updated to KitKat.

OR maybe I backed it up from my Nook, which is not kitkat. That would explain it.
I have KitKat on my Nexus 4, and I can backup apps purchased from the Play store. They install on the Kindle Fire HD2 with no problem.
connie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #60
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I took advantage of the current sale, and ordered a 16gb Fire HD 2013. The 8gb size is fine if you want to stream or just read, but the space for apps is very, very small. We have a couple dozen "kindle fire edition" apps that don't run on other tablets, so once it gets here, I will load it up with those, and then my girls can play them.

I'm not going to put an anti-glare screen protector on it. It really takes away from the clarity of the screen. I'll just have to deal with the shine. I will take my matte black skin off the 8gb and put it on the 16gb, which may help with the glare. It should be here tomorrow! This Fire is a nice product, but the OS takes up a lot of space, and 8gb is simply not very much. Last week I saw that the 8gb Fire was the number 1 seller in Electronics on Amazon (can't find it now) so I guess a TON of people are cheap (I got mine used). I bet a lot of them are disappointed in the lack of space.

Ok I found the list, and the 16gb is currently #1 best seller in computer tablets. I guess a lot of people are forking over that extra $10 now!

After I sell the 8gb Fire, I'll only have one 8gb tablet left, my Nook HD. Keeping that, because it has more available space, plus an SD card for my books. Plus I love the form factor. It's adorable. But I'll never buy another 8gb tablet.

ETA It arrived, and I am very happy with it. I've read a few books on it, already. I am so glad I was able to get a good price on the 16gb model. I applied my matte black skin to the screen bezel, and that does cut down on the glare. It really is much better without the anti-glare screen protector.

ETA I gave the Fire HD 2013 to my girls. I didn't like it that much for myself. They love it. Now they each have a Nook HD, plus this Kindle Fire to share.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-18-2014 at 07:37 AM.