Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #31
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just a thought, but I think you might be pleasantly suprised in that the iphone has apparently inspired some of the smart phones to have larger screens. The HTC TouchHD that was announced recently is going to have, IIRC, a 3.5" 640X480 screen. Of course you are kind of stuck with windows mobile.. but hey, no phone is perfect.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #32
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Just a thought, but I think you might be pleasantly suprised in that the iphone has apparently inspired some of the smart phones to have larger screens. The HTC TouchHD that was announced recently is going to have, IIRC, a 3.5" 640X480 screen. Of course you are kind of stuck with windows mobile.. but hey, no phone is perfect.
HTC makes interesting products, and 640x480 is nice. But I'm not interested in a smartphone, and I'm especially uninterested in a Windows Mobile device.

I'm waiting to see if anyone puts Google's Android OS into something that isn't a smartphone.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #33
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I thought you biggest problem with smart phones was that most have smaller screens (my touch has a 2.8" screen). I wouldn't be surprised if android is put on a device that is the size of an iphone or the Touch HD. I would be surprised however if said device was not also a cell phone. As far as I know, Google is not really interested in pursuing the PDA market as most analysts believe it is dying. Maybe a PMP... anything else starts requiring a more full featured OS.

As for me, if it has a 3.5"-4" screen (i.e., still small enough to fit in my shirt pocket), I very much would prefer it to have phone capabilities. I would buy an IPhone if ATT didn't charge so darn much for service...

--
Bill
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, I thought you biggest problem with smart phones was that most have smaller screens (my touch has a 2.8" screen).
My cell phone is a low end Nokia with an even smaller screen. But I don't care, as all I want it to do is place and receive calls. Other functions are handled by my PDA.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if android is put on a device that is the size of an iphone or the Touch HD. I would be surprised however if said device was not also a cell phone. As far as I know, Google is not really interested in pursuing the PDA market as most analysts believe it is dying. Maybe a PMP... anything else starts requiring a more full featured OS.
It doesn't matter if Google is interested. The OS is modular and open source, and and you can use the parts that fit what you want your device to do. A hardware manufacturer could put it on a device that wasn't a cell phone. The question is whether any will.

There might be life in the PDA market if a manufacturer actually tried to address it, instead of all rushing off to build smartphones.

Whether the PDA market is dying is a different question. What is the Apple Touch? And there are still Windows Mobile based models that aren't also cellphones, like the HP 210.

Quote:
As for me, if it has a 3.5"-4" screen (i.e., still small enough to fit in my shirt pocket), I very much would prefer it to have phone capabilities. I would buy an IPhone if ATT didn't charge so darn much for service...
As I said, I already have a cell phone that does what I require. I wouldn't mind a PDA type device with a larger screen. It wouldn't fit in a shirt pocket (or a pants pocket in most cases), but I don't carry mine there now.
______
Dennis
Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #35
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
My cell phone is a low end Nokia with an even smaller screen. But I don't care, as all I want it to do is place and receive calls. Other functions are handled by my PDA.
I am not saying your are wrong, that is your personal preference. Personally, I need a device that lets me connect to the computers I administer remotely even if no WiFi available. A smart phone is therefore a big bonus for me. Likewise, the ability to browse the Web without Wifi has been very useful from time to time. Since PDAs generally can't do that without also being cellphones, put me firmly in the smart phone camp. Besides, I perfer having one device rather than two.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Google is interested. The OS is modular and open source, and and you can use the parts that fit what you want your device to do. A hardware manufacturer could put it on a device that wasn't a cell phone. The question is whether any will.
That is true, but ultimately, I doubt we will see any new players in the PDA market. Palm is getting out of it, and the number of Windows based PDAs is a lot fewer than it was even a year ago. Without Google pushing for it, I doubt anyone will bother producing such a unit.

Quote:
There might be life in the PDA market if a manufacturer actually tried to address it, instead of all rushing off to build smartphones.
I doubt it. You, I am afriad, are the exception to the rule. If they can get their phone to do everything that their PDA use to do and make phone calls as well, and also connect to the internet without wifi, well, I think they see little need to have two devices when one will do the job of both.

Also, I wouldn't say they rushed off; Smart still produces both types of devices, but their smart phones sell much better.

Quote:
Whether the PDA market is dying is a different question. What is the Apple Touch? And there are still Windows Mobile based models that aren't also cellphones, like the HP 210.
I would say the Ipod Touch is a PMP with some PDA functionality. And I didn't say the PDA market was dead; just that it is dying. Smart Phones are eating up most of the market, and PMPs are eating up the rest. I imagine in a few years that phones like the Iphones will grab most of the market for everything with a screen 4" and smaller.

Quote:
As I said, I already have a cell phone that does what I require. I wouldn't mind a PDA type device with a larger screen. It wouldn't fit in a shirt pocket (or a pants pocket in most cases), but I don't carry mine there now.
______
Dennis
Well there are the UMPCs, which are the next step up.

--
Bill
Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #36
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
I am not saying your are wrong, that is your personal preference. Personally, I need a device that lets me connect to the computers I administer remotely even if no WiFi available. A smart phone is therefore a big bonus for me. Likewise, the ability to browse the Web without Wifi has been very useful from time to time. Since PDAs generally can't do that without also being cellphones, put me firmly in the smart phone camp. Besides, I perfer having one device rather than two.
<shrug> I'm a sysadmin. I did a few experiments, using wifi from my PDA to connect via SSH to servers I administered. I could do it, but I wouldn't want to have to if I could avoid it.

But yes, being able to connect over a cellular network if wifi isn't available is a major plus.

Quote:
That is true, but ultimately, I doubt we will see any new players in the PDA market. Palm is getting out of it, and the number of Windows based PDAs is a lot fewer than it was even a year ago. Without Google pushing for it, I doubt anyone will bother producing such a unit.
I suspect you're right. I don't really expect to see an Android powered PDA. I just think Android could be used for that, should anyone wish to.

Quote:
I doubt it. You, I am afriad, are the exception to the rule. If they can get their phone to do everything that their PDA use to do and make phone calls as well, and also connect to the internet without wifi, well, I think they see little need to have two devices when one will do the job of both.
Yes, I'm an exception. But it's form factor again. We tend to want our cell phones tiny, which means small screen. The screen I'd like to have would make the device too big to be a decent cell phone.

And the problem with converged devices is that devices that try to do everything usually don't do any one thing all that well.

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't say they rushed off; Smart still produces both types of devices, but their smart phones sell much better.
No surprise. For that matter, Palm still makes the Z22, E2, and TX. But their focus is firmly on smartphones. (I know an assortment of Palm fans unhappy about this, who suspect that Palm could profitably sell a revamped PDA model if they would actually make one. I think they need to broaden thier product line with something. Thinking they can compete against the likes of Nokia, Samsung, and RIM as a pure smartphone manufacturer strikes me as wishful thinking.)

Quote:
I would say the Ipod Touch is a PMP with some PDA functionality. And I didn't say the PDA market was dead; just that it is dying. Smart Phones are eating up most of the market, and PMPs are eating up the rest. I imagine in a few years that phones like the Iphones will grab most of the market for everything with a screen 4" and smaller.
I think you're right.

Quote:
Well there are the UMPCs, which are the next step up.
A bigger step up than I had in mind. I'm looking at the Nokia Internet Tablets and the ASUS eee. Neither is exactly what I'd like. A Nokia 800 with a bigger screen and a bluetooth keyboard would be about right.
______
Dennis
Old 10-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #37
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Thumbs up iPod Touch works fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
I am in urgent need of a new ebook reader as my Palm has died (dropped accidently). The Sony readers and other like Kindle are not available in Australia. the iPhone is available but to limited phone providers and costs $799 here plus expensive online costs. I only just learned about the iTouch and as I only want a ebook reader could this do the job for me. I have Stanza installed on my laptop -- can I load my ebooks to the iTouch through a usb cable or can I access the app store through my internet connection on my computer. I do not want to leave my phone provider as I rarely use a mobile phone and cannot afford the very expensive monthly charges for the iPhone and data download.
If someone could push me in the way of information I would really appreciate this. Thanks Bernie
Bernie,

Dunno if you actually bought one of these yet - but - my 2c worth- the iPod touch makes a pretty good replacement for a Palm. I bought one of the G2 iPod Touch's a couple of weeks ago. It is as least as legible as my old Sony Clie. The reading via ereader works fine (and yes folks, I swipe, not tap).

Downsides - you have to feed the thing off the web - and the G2 devices seem to have a problem with WPA2 keys on many routers - my Netgear amongst them. I temporarily have to turn off WPA to access the web to load books on the device.
For preference, I read on a Sony 505 (bought in Australia off eBay), or a tablet PC. But when I am sitting in a queue, or somewhere else where I haven't anticipated reading, then the iPod touch is always in a zipped jacket pocket, and it is 5 seconds to get it out and start reading. Given that I listen to music and podcasts on an iPod and have for years - it is just one more thing that I use it for.

If you want to load a reader off of a PC, then go get another Palm (the Tx is similar resolution, and reasonably priced). If you are happy to load books from the web, and have a compatible router (and I'm sure Apple will fix the firmware sooner or later) - the iPod touch is fine - and the battery life of mine is excellent. I can go a week listening to music and podcasts, playing a game or 2 and reading. I'm usually recharging more than that syncing up music and podcasts anyway.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!