Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #76
Zarathustrian
Zarathustrian began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket PRO
If an iPad is anything like the iPhone when it comes to reading, I cannot understand it being recommended as an e-reader. I use several different programs for my iPhone - Tomes & Stanza being two which I purchased and even the correctly formatted books do not read correctly with these apps. Maybe I'm missing out on something because I don't have the iPad, but if you're looking for a reader with other functions, it seems that the Nook Color is a good way to go. Why pay in excess of 300$ for a tablet when you can find e-readers cheaper? That have the functions you're after. I have seen so many people on here pushing the iPad when it is simply not a good recommendation based on price and personal taste. Not everyone desires an iPad! I think it comes down to finding an e-reader that has the functions YOU want. I spent a great deal of time looking at specs for different readers and my personal choice would be the Kindle Fire, but since I can't get it in Australia, I'm quite eager to get my hands on the Nook Color. It seems to me that it will do everything I need/want it to. It truly just boils down to what you want, what you can afford and what specs you find fit your needs the most.
Zarathustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #77
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustrian View Post
If an iPad is anything like the iPhone when it comes to reading, I cannot understand it being recommended as an e-reader. I use several different programs for my iPhone - Tomes & Stanza being two which I purchased and even the correctly formatted books do not read correctly with these apps. Maybe I'm missing out on something because I don't have the iPad, but if you're looking for a reader with other functions, it seems that the Nook Color is a good way to go. Why pay in excess of 300$ for a tablet when you can find e-readers cheaper? That have the functions you're after. I have seen so many people on here pushing the iPad when it is simply not a good recommendation based on price and personal taste. Not everyone desires an iPad! I think it comes down to finding an e-reader that has the functions YOU want. I spent a great deal of time looking at specs for different readers and my personal choice would be the Kindle Fire, but since I can't get it in Australia, I'm quite eager to get my hands on the Nook Color. It seems to me that it will do everything I need/want it to. It truly just boils down to what you want, what you can afford and what specs you find fit your needs the most.
The OP is looking for a device to read color PDFs; a full sized tablet is the best choice for that. For reading regular e-books I agree that there are better choices.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The OP is looking for a device to read color PDFs; a full sized tablet is the best choice for that. For reading regular e-books I agree that there are better choices.
Yes, a tablet is unparalleled for that purpose. On the iPad I'd recommend the "Goodreader" app for PDFs; it does a superb job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Because the OP is looking to read color PDF, an iPad would do very well for that. The aspect ratio of the screen is better for most PDF then a 16:9 aspect ratio. Plus, there is Goodreader which is an excellent app for handling PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #80
user
Connoisseur
user began at the beginning.

Device: Benq P51
time has passed since we talked about the superb indeed resolution of ipad

because it was too expensive, i didnt buy it (if i would buy it, i would had gone for the 64GB version, since it didnt accept usb storage extension and the wifi/3G which made the price go off the roof)

now, i see that google nexus 10 has the same resolution

so, i would like to ask:

1) ipad3 vs google nexus 10 for a4 pdf reading? is google nexus' resolution enough to produce same or better results for pdf reading than ipad3 or retina display is more than resolution?

2) are there any other tablets released or planned that compete for pdf reading?

thanks!
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #81
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I've been looking at the Nexus 10 myself, but I don't know anyone who owns one. I'd expect it to be an excellent choice, but the proof is always in the physical device.

I believe the N10's ppi is actually higher than that of the latest iPads.

And refurbished iPad 3s are now much cheaper since the introduction of the iPad 4 with a faster processor and a typically arbitrary dock change. Perhaps not reason enough to buy one if you're already put off, but at least a viable alternative.

Meanwhile, I'll probably be going with the Galaxy Note II, partly because I like micro SD slots and removable batteries.

But if a later iteration of the Nexus 10 brings the price down in a year, I'll probably buy this year's model as well.

For me, the screens of the Nexus 10 and iPad iterations 3-4 will trump additional perks until every reasonably high-end device on the market has at least the same ppi.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-01-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
And refurbished iPad 3s are now much cheaper since the introduction of the iPad 4 with a faster processor and a typically arbitrary dock change. Perhaps not reason enough to buy one if you're already put off, but at least a viable alternative.
News to me. When did this "iPad 4" get released?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #83
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
News to me. When did this "iPad 4" get released?
2 November, according to Wikipedia.

Apple usually does a staggered release though, so perhaps it's US-only for now (or US + a few other select markets), not in Europe yet.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #84
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
time has passed since we talked about the superb indeed resolution of ipad

because it was too expensive, i didnt buy it (if i would buy it, i would had gone for the 64GB version, since it didnt accept usb storage extension and the wifi/3G which made the price go off the roof)

now, i see that google nexus 10 has the same resolution

so, i would like to ask:

1) ipad3 vs google nexus 10 for a4 pdf reading? is google nexus' resolution enough to produce same or better results for pdf reading than ipad3 or retina display is more than resolution?

2) are there any other tablets released or planned that compete for pdf reading?

thanks!
Have you considered getting a second hand 3gen iPad and store your documents in the cloud? Now that the 4gen is out, you could probably find a good deal on a 16gb 3gen ipad. Performance wise, I really think there is zero difference between a 3gen and a 4gen if your purpose is reading and annotating PDFs. Storage wise, my first iPad was a 16gb and I had about 2000 PDFs on there and still had several giga left of storage. PDFs really don't take much space, it's music and movies, and to a certain extent photos, that will consume storage. Even if you have 10000 PDFs you want to read, you can keep then all in DropBox and download and upload as necessary. Dropbox is in any case the easiest way to transfer files to and from your iPad.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #85
user
Connoisseur
user began at the beginning.

Device: Benq P51
any more feedback please?

we have new competitors, like Microsoft's Surface
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #86
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Best is entirely subjective. What's best for one person is not necessarily the best for someone else. You have to decide what's best for you. No one but you can make that decision.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My opinion is an iPad because you want to read text books. Text books come in PDF and the best app for PDF is for the iPad. The app you want to look into is Goodreader.

http://www.goodiware.com/goodreader.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote