Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #226
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimuzik View Post
There. Are. Four. Lights!

Sorry... couldn't help myself.

Awesome! Exactly what I was thinking . . .

Well, adding one more problem. I can't get Send To Kindle to work. Tried two .mobi files to the PW and none showed up on the device. Tried the same two to my K4NT black and they worked fine. Can someone test this and see if you are getting the same results?

Also, am underwhelmed by the display, the fonts, etc. but very much like the improvements to the overall design of the hardware and how it feels in the hand.

But more than likely, this one's going back and I'll put the funds towards the mythical iPad Mini. I'm pretty crushed . . . I thought this was going to be the ultimate reader.

EDIT: Now reading it in a dark room. There is a blue oval area from about 9:00 to 12:00 diagonal. The center section is pink and the light and dark areas at the bottom are distracting.

Last edited by AintLDS; 10-02-2012 at 09:48 PM.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #227
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I agree. I don't see that as a serious issue. It's still more convenient than a clip on light, which is more uneven as far as lighting is concerned.
+1 .... True ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #228
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
Awesome! Exactly what I was thinking . . .

Well, adding one more problem. I can't get Send To Kindle to work. Tried two .mobi files to the PW and none showed up on the device. Tried the same two to my K4NT black and they worked fine. Can someone test this and see if you are getting the same results?

Also, am underwhelmed by the display, the fonts, etc. but very much like the improvements to the overall design of the hardware and how it feels in the hand.

But more than likely, this one's going back and I'll put the funds towards the mythical iPad Mini. I'm pretty crushed . . . I thought this was going to be the ultimate reader.

EDIT: Now reading it in a dark room. There is a blue oval area from about 9:00 to 12:00 diagonal. The center section is pink and the light and dark areas at the bottom are distracting.
The darker the room the worse my screen looks. In a very dark room turning up the brightness just washes out the text and it is hard on my eyes.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #229
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The darker the room the worse my screen looks. In a very dark room turning up the brightness just washes out the text and it is hard on my eyes.
Agreed. I switched over to my first gen iPad and it's a much better experience.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #230
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I liked to know how it is on the eyes in a total dark room. I want one for bedtime. Right now I use my Kindle Fire with Screen Dim app set at 0.8%
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #231
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
What method are you using? I've emailed to my kindle address and they're all showing up. I haven't tried calibre.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #232
AintLDS
No soliciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
What method are you using? I've emailed to my kindle address and they're all showing up. I haven't tried calibre.
I'm using the Send To Kindle app on my iMac. I've checked for updates and I have the latest version.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #233
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I liked to know how it is on the eyes in a total dark room. I want one for bedtime. Right now I use my Kindle Fire with Screen Dim app set at 0.8%
I find it quite comfortable with the light turned all the way down (it's still lit at the lowest setting) or just a notch or two up from the bottom.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #234
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Well, I've being using it and reading for more than one hour and like it.

Better on my eyes than my iPad 3.

To me, the fonts are sharper than Kindle Touch.

The power button requires way more pressure and I'm still a but confused with the new navigation and button's position but we can relearn that easily.

I'm satisfied. From 1 to 10 I would give a nine.

The few drawbacks are the narrow edges and the uneven light at the bottom. But those are minor issues to me.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #235
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I just saw this post on one of the Amazon Forums:

"I have some similarly discolored areas as well. I'm hoping that it is an issue similar to the iPhone had where there is still glue drying in between the screens because it was manufactured so recently. IF that is the case, it goes away in a couple days... at least it did for the iPhones."

If that is true, then maybe you folks with screen display problems should hold on to the PW for a week to see if the problem goes away on its own.

Hopefully, if that is true, my expected delivery of 10/11 will have solved that glue drying problem as well.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #236
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Hm, just read for an hour in complete darkness.

I'm kind of missing my old nook glow.

I think I'm finding the shadows at the bottom more bothersome than the nooks slight bar of light at the top. I don't remember that running down the page and affecting the words either, like on the kindle.

Another thing is there's a centimeter worth of screen bleed on the bottom left side of my screen.

All together I find the bottom more of an inconvenient place for the lights to be. When they were at the top - you read the first one or two lines and your eyes move on. At the bottom, you're constantly working your way TO the screen issues, which is annoying as you get closer and closer to them.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #237
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
I have the same issue with the shadows at the bottom. After reading for a while it started to get even more annoying.

I finally caved in and called the customer service and now encourage everyone to do the same. They are logging all complaints very carefully to determine if it's indeed a manufacturing defect, so far the only solution they can offer is the replacement. But because PW is in such demand, the delivery of the replacement unit is ETA'd to the last week of October. There is a big chance the problem could be fixed by then. In the meantime you get to keep your PW for 30 days or even more before the new one arrives. Just mention that you've already given away your previous Kindle (if you had one). Win-win.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #238
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksor View Post
I have the same issue with the shadows at the bottom. After reading for a while it started to get even more annoying.

I finally caved in and called the customer service and now encourage everyone to do the same. They are logging all complaints very carefully to determine if it's indeed a manufacturing defect, so far the only solution they can offer is the replacement. But because PW is in such demand, the delivery of the replacement unit is ETA'd to the last week of October. There is a big chance the problem could be fixed by then. In the meantime you get to keep your PW for 30 days or even more before the new one arrives. Just mention that you've already given away your previous Kindle (if you had one). Win-win.
At first I was just going to return mine, but I think I'll do what you did and try a replacement. Except for the screen flaws on my unit I really like the PW. So many others seem to have good units that surely I can eventually get a good one too.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #239
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Right now, my biggest problem is that the syncing isn't working. I even factory reset mine, and syncing worked one time. But once I moved elsewhere on other devices, syncing broke again. At this point, the Kindle PW is completely out of sync with my other Kindle apps, and it's driving me batty. They MUST fix this one pronto.
Probably opening-day server sync'g issues?

But here's one thing: Sometimes last page is not recorded until you press Home. This is how they've handled it at times in the past. Pressing Home records last page read and any annotations not yet recorded, into the auxiliary file.

If you power off with the book open, say (I've seen this done), then it doesn't take.

But it's more likely that it's first day server sync'g problems.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #240
jswinden
Nameless Being

One more photo. I took this photo in a low lit room using my Canon EOS 60D dSLR camera on a tripod with a delay timer. The PW is at brightness level 14 of 24. It is a comfortable brightness for me to read in this room with lights turned down low. I think it shows a good likeness for what my eyes actually see.

You can see the shadows at the bottom of the screen, but you can also see a large oval shaped shadow near the top of the screen and other shadows lurking about as well.