Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
Er.... by reading what I wrote?
Now who can't tell who's taking the ... ? Oh, the shortage of smilies!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Whaaaa????

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
13. Until you have a measure of success such that the average man on the street knows who you are, you shouldn't be making lists telling writers what to do, or not do.
I have to differ here. The brush you are using, dadioflex, is ill fitting. Being a good author doesn't give you the publicity that one run on American Idol does for previously unknown singers and I couldn't tell you any of the winners on that show beyond Carrie Underwood, and I don't watch American Idol. I just like her and I keep hearing that she won it one year.

I would say that most here in this erudite group at MR could not name the fiction authors that had a book sell 50,000 or more copies last year, or whose books have sold a total of 100,000 copies over the last 5 years and most here would say that those were reasonably proficient authors, though they haven't attained wild success.

Probably only a few here could name all the authors that had one book sell 1 Million copies in any year of the last 10. Those we might consider having something close to what many here at MR would consider wild success, especially if they had duplicated that feat more than once.

Further I would say that being able to sell "One Million" in one year or even achieve that number in each of several years doesn't enable one to be the best "how to do list" writer for other writers.

There are some books that make a lot of money that I consider drivel, and other very good books by stereotype "starving authors" that nobody knows.

Last edited by frahse; 05-02-2012 at 02:50 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Heck I could not name all the authors I read this year, never mind the lists Fashe mentioned. One of the things I like about being an author is that very very few people would notice me on the street. To date only one reader has noticed me in public and walked up to me to say hi. Im good with that. Very good.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
14. If the story you are writing doesn't catch your interest it won't catch anyone else's interest either. The lack of interest on the part of the author will show through every time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
14. If the story you are writing doesn't catch your interest it won't catch anyone else's interest either. The lack of interest on the part of the author will show through every time.
Good one!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Agreed. I've seen that time and time again.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
BrianKittrell
BrianKittrell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
13. Until you have a measure of success such that the average man on the street knows who you are, you shouldn't be making lists telling writers what to do, or not do.
<3

Well, I don't know about the average man on the street necessarily, but, you know..
BrianKittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I don't think popularity is important here--but income and personal satisfaction are.

Until you are writing instead of, not in addition to, a day job, you're not qualified to state what skills/attitudes/etc professional writers really need. Unless you are satisfied with your authorial career--even if it's not at the "walk away from day job" income level--you're not qualified to advise other authors how to be happy with their efforts.

Obviously, if you're writing lists of Authors Should Do This, either you are following them, or you are a hypocrite. (Or incapable of following them for some reason. But "you should do this even though I won't or can't" is a different kind of list.) If you are following them and not content with your current income or readership, why should anyone else believe that they work?

You can write "do this to be as successful as I am!" lists... but that only works if "as successful as I am" is a goal for aspiring writers. "Do this to get publishers to pay attention to you" is only good advice if you've used it and it works. "Do this to write novels that people enjoy and remember," ditto.

Part of what I like so much about Konrath's and Rusch's and Smith's advice is that they can say, "this WORKS for me. I can't guarantee it'll work this well for you--but I can promise these are effective methods for many authors."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #25
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
#15. Turn off the internet and stop reading this forum.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
#16. Avoid playing computer solitaire until after your writing is done for the day, otherwise you'll never get started.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #27
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I sometimes play solitaire as a way to think through my ideas. I'm ADD, so letting part of my brain chew on the card game while the other works on the writing issues makes working through tough scene or story issues easier.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Myke Cole's most recent blog post seems relevant to this topic: The 18 Rules I Learned in My 1st Year as a Full-time Writer.

Nail. Head.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Myke Cole's most recent blog post seems relevant to this topic: The 18 Rules I Learned in My 1st Year as a Full-time Writer.

Nail. Head.

Love it! So True!

Needs to be posted in the "Secrets of Indie Success" thread as well.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-30-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Love it! So True!

Needs to be posted in the "Secrets of Indie Success" thread as well.
Done. (And retweeted and posted to my Facebook page.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote