Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I love being able to purchase books from multiple sources!

I am so glad I did my research before buying, and chose the nook over the kindle. Instead of being locked in to purchasing from amazon, I can download from barnes and noble, but also from sony, kobo, etc. I guess I am a bargain shopper, because I love to shop around. I usually check inkmesh.com and then check and see if kobo has any current coupon codes available.

Do the rest of you prefer to shop around, or purchase from barnes and noble?
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm going to shock you... I can buy books from all those sources as well!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Daffy, don't blow the poor girl's mind
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I used to buy almost all my ebooks from Fictionwise, and I preferred it that way. It was too easy for me to re-buy books I'd already purchased, and having most of them in one place meant Fictionwise would pop up and tell me I'd already bought the book!

But once the Agency 5 "price fixing" deal pretty much killed Fictionwise, I've had to learn to shop around.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I used to buy almost all my ebooks from Fictionwise, and I preferred it that way. It was too easy for me to re-buy books I'd already purchased, and having most of them in one place meant Fictionwise would pop up and tell me I'd already bought the book!
The Kindle store will also tell you if you've already purchased a book and tell you date you purchased it.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm going to shock you... I can buy books from all those sources as well!
without having to convert your books into an Amazon accepted format or do something illegal?

Nook, Kobo, Sony any epub device, open and simple.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Kindle store will also tell you if you've already purchased a book and tell you date you purchased it.
as does BN store
Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
without having to convert your books into an Amazon accepted format or do something illegal?

Nook, Kobo, Sony any epub device, open and simple.
I stand by my statement. I can buy books from all the same stores and use them on my Kindle and it is simple.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I stand by my statement. I can buy books from all the same stores and use them on my Kindle and it is simple.
maybe for you but not for everyone also there are times when converting from format to format they always don't come out looking all that good as well

and ohh can you check out books from your local Library?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
maybe for you but not for everyone and ohh can you check out books from your local Library?
Yes, I can.

Look I'm not knocking the nook or any other reader, I'm just informing the OP that the Kindle is not as "locked" as people would like to think.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I can.

Look I'm not knocking the nook or any other reader, I'm just informing the OP that the Kindle is not as "locked" as people would like to think.
You can? without doing something illeagal? Unless its one of the very very few that offer mobi.

Also that's a yes and no in terms of being locked in. you do have to buy and convert into an Amazon acceptied format. and Mobi is the one you have to use with Calibre. And as I pointed out, there are times when upon conversion the outcome isnt always the greatest. I've see some of my buddys Kindles converted stuff and he has a few novels that are just on long paragraph, and others that indent in the wrong places etc. Not all of them but he does have quite of few that just come out like crap.

so yes there are ways around it.

but with the Nook and Sony, Kobo and other e pub devices you dont, you buy and sideload, nothing extra or in some cases nothing illegal as you would have to do with the Kindle.

Techinally you are supposed to stay within Amazons walled garden but yes there are ways around it.

but again the point is with the nook you don't have to worry about it. Especially if some people aren't tech savy. For instance I cannot see for the life of me my father understanding Calibre and there are alot of people like him.

Last edited by boswd; 09-06-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Being able to "shop around" doesn't mean anywhere near as much as it used to thanks mainly to the agency 5 cartel.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
well that's a yes and no, you do have to buy and convert into an Amazon acceptied format. and Mobi is the one you have to use with Calibre.

so yes there are ways around it.

but with the Nook and Sony, Kobo and other e pub devices you dont, you buy and sideload, nothing extra or in some cases nothing illegal as you would have to do with the Kindle.

Techinally you are supposed to stay within Amazons wall garden but yes there are ways around it.

but again the point is with the nook you don't have to worry about it. Especially if some people aren't tech savy. For instance I cannot see for the life of me my father understanding Calibre and there are alot of people like him.
You know, it's good there is a reader for just about everyone and we should celebrate having choice without taking an "us vs. them" (the "my reader is better than yours") stance.

Share the knowledge, share the ebook reader love.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
You know, it's good there is a reader for just about everyone and we should celebrate having choice without taking an "us vs. them" (the "my reader is better than yours") stance.

Share the knowledge, share the ebook reader love.
i agree
Old 09-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
unfortunately there are so many titles that only Amazon carries. I don't like monoliths, but I'm probably going to go with the Kindle because a lot of the stuff I like to read just isn't available elsewhere.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote