Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
bird
bird began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle2 owner in Vancouver BC

I'm a new Kindle2 owner- this my first dedicated ebook reader (not counting Stanza/iPhone)- in Vancouver BC, a couple dozen km north of the reach of WhisperNet. The DRM and vendor lock-in of the device sticks in my craw quite a bit, but I'm thrilled to learn (from reading these forums) about the FOSS ereader platform calibre and hopeful that I can make good use of the device even without wireless delivery. What I'm particularly looking forward to is having my technical library with me all the time- I work in two places and can't justify duplicating 100's of kg of murdered trees in both places.
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Welcome to MobileRead brid! In your jouney around MobileRead to learn more about how to use your Kindle, please click on the links in my sig. The Kindle is not as "lock-ed down" as many are led to believe. Nearly every popular ebook format can be converted for use on the Kindle (not .lrx from Sony though). There are many tools available to help you take advantage of the Kindle's features.

I hope you enjoy your Kindle 2!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead Bird, from another Vancouverite.

I haven't heard of any whispernet alternatives coming North of the boarder any time soon. It's amazing, isn't it, how Mt. Baker can sit there in the sky and you can't get a signal to your Kindle.

I hope you can get all those research books you need in a format for your Kindle, or learn how to do it along the way.

Think of it as a learning experience.

WDE
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi bird and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello bird, and let me add my welcome to those above. We've glad you've found us at MobileRead. As a Kindle owner, I feel confident in saying that you're really going to enjoy having the Kindle.

DRM can be an annoyance, particularly when you find a book being sold someplace other than Amazon.com and it has DRM that prevents you from reading it on your Kindle. But, the DRM used by Amazon in the books you purchase for the Kindle shouldn't be a problem. (Yeah, I do realize that at some point in the future you might buy a non-Kindle reader and want to re-read one of your Kindle books on it. That's a challenge you might anticipate, but as Scarlett is known to have said, "After all, tomorrow is another day.")

Fortunately, the only thing that requires you use the Whispernet is the delivery of samples to your Kindle. If you've got a trip scheduled to the US, just queue up a bunch of samples and turn on your antenna after you cross the border!

I'm a fan of the DRM-free books I've been able to buy from Baen's Webscriptions site and also from Fictionwise (though the selection is more limited).

Calibre's enhancements to output MobiPocket files and also to recognize the Kindle so you can deploy books directly to the device are long-awaited enhancements. I'm still trying to learn how to use Calibre effectively for output other than Sony .lrf.

As I said, we're very glad you've joined us here at MobileRead. It's a nice place to hang out on the Internet, so just plunge into any discussions and help us get to know you better.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
bird
bird began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Fictionwise was purchased by Barnes and Noble in the last few days, I see. But they expect to remain a distinct entity within, and no mention is made of anticipated changes to the availability of a DRM-free catalog. http://www.fictionwise.com/bn.htm

What I most regret about the lack of WhisperNet here is the seamless delivery of daily periodicals such as the New York Times.

Thanks for the welcoming words.
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hello,
I'm a Vancouverite who desires a Kindle 2.

I noticed that the Kindle on Amazon.com won't allow shipping to a Canadian address.

Some questions for Vancouverites (or Canadians) with a Kindle. This thusly means that you had to give amazon.com a USA address.

When the Kindle came to your USA shipping address, how much did the Canadians Customs/Border Guard officer charge for bringing the kindle from USA into Canada?
Did you transport it to Canada via mail? Or did you pick it up directly at the USA address and just drive up the border?

Last edited by droopy; 04-01-2009 at 10:36 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Welcome on board Bird.

Elsi,

Sorry to bother you, you have already replied to me about the 1click operation when you buy from the Kindle store, but since the 1click seems to require a credit card, do you have one on your account. In your first reply on that point you said that it would go by default to the account if there is no credit card... did you experience the default operation first hand?

That's really the last issue for me before getting my Kindle...

Thanks
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, international, kindle 2