Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Menu Bar Not Showing

As you can see in the picture the menu bar and icons are not showing. I can't do anything. I have the latest version 3.27.1. So do I need to remove the current installation and reinstall?

Yep forgot to add the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.PNG
Views:	261
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	164960  
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's bizarre, I thought calibre mandated that Preferences be clickable - i.e. it must be in a toolbar or menu,

Type Ctrl+P to get to Preferences, check The Main Toolbar and The Main Toolbar when a device is connected in Toolbars and menus.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #3
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That's bizarre, I thought calibre mandated that Preferences be clickable - i.e. it must be in a toolbar or menu,

Type Ctrl+P to get to Preferences, check The Main Toolbar and The Main Toolbar when a device is connected in Toolbars and menus.

BR

Okay I can see both and they have icons in the right hand box but I don't know what I should click.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's bizarre, I thought calibre mandated that Preferences be clickable - i.e. it must be in a toolbar or menu.
And for me (3.27.1) it still does, mores the pity

My main toolbar is empty and my menu bar has the Preferences item in it, if I remove it I get:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	164961

BR
Old 07-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
And for me (3.27.1) it still does, mores the pity

My main toolbar is empty and my menu bar has the Preferences item in it, if I remove it I get:

Attachment 164961

BR

I get the same when I try and remove Preferences. But I have icons in the Main Toolbar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	main toolbar.PNG
Views:	145
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	164962  
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

What you you see in the book list context (right click) menu?

If you have a device attached try disconnecting it.

If that doesn't work you could try uninstalling calibre and reinstalling it - you shouldn't lose any settings or libraries - but I don't see why that should fix it.

FYI - defaults for Main toolbar and Main toolbar when device attached

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	164963   Click image for larger version

Name:	device.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	164964  

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-09-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Here are the defaults for Main toolbar and Main toolbar when device attached

BR

Yes I have those and some others that I added. But that does not change or fix the problem that I cannot see a single icon. It is like something is hiding them and there is no another window open covering up the icons/menu bar.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Do you use any of the optional "themes", if so try reverting to the default in Look and Feel.

BR
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Yes I have those and some others that I added. But that does not change or fix the problem that I cannot see a single icon. It is like something is hiding them and there is no another window open covering up the icons/menu bar.
I edited post #6 when I saw your post #5, have another look at it, also see post #8

BR
Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Do you use any of the optional "themes", if so try reverting to the default in Look and Feel.

BR

Calibre froze up when I tried to go back to default on that.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
I edited post #6 when I saw your post #5, have another look at it, also see post #8

BR

Okay BR I uninstalled the program via Control Panel. I downloaded and reinstalled. It is still the same.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Calibre froze up when I tried to go back to default on that.
I'm not sure how the icon themes work - you could try this

with calibre not running
  • backup the configuration folder, simplest way is to zip it up in place
  • remove the ...\resources\images folder from the configuration folder
start calibre

If it works you'll hopefully have the default theme, otherwise restore the backup you just took and wait for a conformist** to respond, I'm out of ideas for now.

BR

** conformist is an antonym of an iconoclast.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That doesn't look like a calibre issue. It looks like something is drawing a blank rectangle on top of calibre. WHat operating system is this?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #14
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That doesn't look like a calibre issue. It looks like something is drawing a blank rectangle on top of calibre. WHat operating system is this?

Windows 10
Old 07-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
OK well start by running calibre without plugins from a command prompt as

calibre --ignore-plugins

The reason I say it looks like something drawing a blank rectangle over calibre is that in your screenshot the blank rectangle is cutting off half the search bar.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote