Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #16
shiningcat
shiningcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can you read non-supported languages with the custom font?
shiningcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningcat View Post
What do you consider ‘non-supported’? Languages whose scripts that cannot be rendered with any of the built-in fonts? There are not too many of those, but for the most part I would say the answer is ‘yes’.

At a minimum the font has to have glyphs for the characters needed to represent the language in question.

Beyond that, the Kindle’s rendering engine has to know how to properly render complex-script, R to L, vertical, etc. But I think it does (Indic, Arabic, Chinese/Japanese, and I would think Hebrew). Thai, Burmese etc maybe. Korean should be.

Someone should try to see if Klingon (KLI plqD) can be supported using a custom font. I suspect it is.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-21-2018 at 09:22 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 02:27 AM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Let me know the languages that you're interested in and I'll test them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Was there an actual issue with Arabic on 5.9.6?
5.9.6 supported Arabic just fine, however, it still had the refresh issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Someone should try to see if Klingon (KLI plqD) can be supported using a custom font. I suspect it is.
Klingon pIqaD is supported out of the box, because Kindles come with Code2000 as Unicode fallback font. The pIqaD glyphs are in the Private Use section (F8D0-F8FF).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #19
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yes, it says Japanese is not supported, but I tried it with one of custom Japanese fonts I have and it works.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Is it possible to see the extended index in a book? (the titles of the chapters paragraphs)

And... is it possible to have the new pageflip function in a book purchased in another store and converted to the kindle format? I bought a kobo ebook with a discount but there is no pageflip function after the conversion.

thanks!
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday07 View Post
And... is it possible to have the new pageflip function in a book purchased in another store and converted to the kindle format? I bought a kobo ebook with a discount but there is no pageflip function after the conversion.

thanks!
Yes, you need to convert epub to kfx.
Check here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272407
Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #22
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Yes, you need to convert epub to kfx.
Check here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272407
Thank you for your answer!
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #23
shiningcat
shiningcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Yes, it says Japanese is not supported, but I tried it with one of custom Japanese fonts I have and it works.
Japanese is supported, they sell Kindle in Japan and I'd assume all Kindles are the same worldwide.
shiningcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:01 AM   #24
Lady Stardust
User

Quote:
Japanese is supported, they sell Kindle in Japan and I'd assume all Kindles are the same worldwide.
I was replying to the question about custom fonts. If I remember correctly, when custom font feature was introduced, it was said it is not supported for Japanese and Arabic languages.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #25
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Installed 5.9.6.1 on Voyage and still getting the extra refreshes, so they've not fixed that yet
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
drianos
drianos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Hello guys, PW3 here. I jailbreaked my device several months ago with jailbreak JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip but it was not until last week that I installed Collection Manager and cover screensaver with the help of KUAL with mrpi installation.

I may or may not have updated the kindle before applying the hacks, at least the multiple font feature was installed. I made all the hacks work, even the remove special offer chatting with amazon, and was happy reorganizing my library in Calibre and updating the collections in the kindle with Collection Manager.

But yesterday I removed airplane mode without noticing and I received this update. Today Kual and Collection manager give me application Error and I'm getting the default kindle screensaver when device sleeps instead of the cool looking book cover that was working yesterday.

Any ideas of what happened? suggestion? someone else affected.

P.D. As my first post, thanks to all people that have fill this forums with such useful information and obviously the incredible work of the developers.
drianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
@drianos

This is described in the threads you used. On update you have to reinstall the software you additionally installed (KUAL, screensaverhack,....).

Also you may want to install JB 1.15 hotfix after you're done reinstalling KUAL.
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote