Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What happens when you click on "Normal"?
That's what lets you cycle through the options.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's what lets you cycle through the options.
I know, thanks anyway. But since it was listed, I would've thought that it would give you the option to change the setting; otherwise, why list it?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My bad, I had just discovered on my own that clicking on Normal did indeed give me other options, as you folks have pointed out.

I've now loaded two audiobooks into internal memory, in the proper folder. However, very annoyingly, when I click on Books, Audiobooks, the book titles listed are truncated. I don't see why they should be when the full titles were listed with the Clip Zip. And if I access them through Folder, Internal Memory, I see the full titles. Not sure how that makes any sense.

Better battery life, better battery life, better battery life. It's my new mantra, as it seems to be the only improvement with the Sport. Everything else seems just slightly worse.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This is my opinion before I've listened to anything on mine, but so far I like it better than the Zip.

Bigger is better, flatter is better, too. The controls are easier to use and the screen much easier to navigate. Overall, the feel is less flimsy. My first Zip had a wonky volume rocker that was next to impossible to use to increase the volume, to the extent that I tried never to change it which was less than ideal. These controls seem more responsive. And with a longer better life, it seems a huge upgrade to me.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I so wanted to be able to ditch the Clip Sport, because I dislike practically everything about it, but ... I got the as-advertised 25 hours of listening on a single charge. And this was over several days, so it wasn't losing power when I wasn't using it. I'll have to put up with all the other annoyances for that one big advantage.

The latest annoyance is the most annoying of all. Sometimes I lose focus and after I've started a chapter file, I want to go back to the end of a previous chapter file to reorient myself. Well, with the Zip, no problem; I go back to the earlier chapter, fast forward to a few minutes before the end, and relisten, and the Zip continues seamlessly to the next chapter. Not so the Sport--when I go back that way, it plays to the end of the earlier chapter, then resumes at the point of the next file where I previously stopped. Very confusing when you don't realize that's what's happening, and extra steps to go back again.

Smaller newly noted annoyances: When I get to the end of the book for some reason it starts the book again from the beginning. Weird.

I also noticed that whereas the Zip would count on the left how many minutes into the file I'd read, and on the right how many minutes were left, the Sport on the right just shows the total number of minutes in the file--no countdown. Who cares how many minutes I've read; I want to know how many minutes are left. Now I have to do a mental subtraction.

It also adds in extra files with the extension .pos. I am guessing that these must be "bookmarks" that are indicating the last point read in the file. It also seems to have added them to the card I had in the Sport briefly and then returned to the Zip, because now the Zip is listing each file twice.
  • Battery life: A+++++
  • Everything else: F
Advert
Old 10-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #51
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My Clip Sport has shut off unexpectedly a couple of times. I suppose it's possible I bumped the off button, but since the device was locked, it shouldn't do that!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #52
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
An annoying issue has appeared. I've deleted some library audios, they don't show up when connected to my computer. But they still are listed on the device. Not playable, but there. This could become a very bad thing.
If you deleted directly from the device, I suspect that what's left are the .pos files the Sport is adding.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #53
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If you deleted directly from the device, I suspect that what's left are the .pos files the Sport is adding.
I don't remember. But the software on the Sport is crappy. I don't know why they didn't use the Clip Zip software. I've got three library books on my Sport, after that, not sure if I will use it or give it to my daughter. I may have to factory reset it to get rid of all those extra files!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #54
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I've noticed that the Sport behaves differently depending on whether I'm in the Audiobooks section in the top level, or I'm accessing the files from the Folder, Internal Memory, Audiobooks directory.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #55
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I've started having problems with the Clip Sport--several times, in the past few days, after I've had the device on pause, when I go back to it after an hour or so, it resumes without any sound. I turn it off and on a few times, and eventually the sound kicks in again, but it's quite annoying. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #56
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I've started having problems with the Clip Sport--several times, in the past few days, after I've had the device on pause, when I go back to it after an hour or so, it resumes without any sound. I turn it off and on a few times, and eventually the sound kicks in again, but it's quite annoying. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Oooh, hate to hear that! I don't have the sport, I've got Clip+s and Zips. The only issue I have had with them is they don't want to pause all the time. Sometimes I have to use the on/off button. They have always kept my place, they just would not let me pause.
Could it possibly be the head phones you are using? Or, the headphone jack maybe? I honestly have no idea why this would happen.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Oooh, hate to hear that! I don't have the sport, I've got Clip+s and Zips. The only issue I have had with them is they don't want to pause all the time. Sometimes I have to use the on/off button. They have always kept my place, they just would not let me pause.
Could it possibly be the head phones you are using? Or, the headphone jack maybe? I honestly have no idea why this would happen.
S
It's not the earbuds--I tried them with another device. I guess it could be the headphone jack, but I have tried fiddling with them, unplugging them, and there's no effect. The only way I get the sound back eventually is to shut down and wait, and sometimes I have to do that more than once.

If it keeps happening, I'll have to contact SanDisk or check the forums over there. Or get a replacement, since my Sport is still under warranty.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #58
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm probably going to get laughed at for feeling the need to point this out, especially two months after the most recent post, but there might be a Clip+ lover out there who finds it helpful.

The Clip+ does support FM recording. BUT, and this is a big but, I think there were two Clip+ models. I dunno. What I do know is that I have updated to the most recent firmware, V01.02.18A (2011, I believe) and I have FM recording as an option. So maybe a firmware addition?

Yes, that's right, I still have my Clip+ that I bought due to recommendations here back in 2011. I use it for my Old Time Radio files, mostly, and full-length concert albums. Because my Ipod Touch only has so much space, you know. Have to draw that line somewhere. And OTR works well with audiobook-ish functionality, so there's that.

I have to admit, the Clip+ sounds just as good as the Touch but, for the love of all that is holy and overpriced, don't tell anyone I said that. My Touch excels at many, many things, but when it comes to just playing something, the Clip+ is still very much a contender. I've looked at the newer Clip models but they don't move me to upgrade.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm probably going to get laughed at for feeling the need to point this out, especially two months after the most recent post, but there might be a Clip+ lover out there who finds it helpful.

The Clip+ does support FM recording. BUT, and this is a big but, I think there were two Clip+ models. I dunno. What I do know is that I have updated to the most recent firmware, V01.02.18A (2011, I believe) and I have FM recording as an option. So maybe a firmware addition?

Yes, that's right, I still have my Clip+ that I bought due to recommendations here back in 2011. I use it for my Old Time Radio files, mostly, and full-length concert albums. Because my Ipod Touch only has so much space, you know. Have to draw that line somewhere. And OTR works well with audiobook-ish functionality, so there's that.

I have to admit, the Clip+ sounds just as good as the Touch but, for the love of all that is holy and overpriced, don't tell anyone I said that. My Touch excels at many, many things, but when it comes to just playing something, the Clip+ is still very much a contender. I've looked at the newer Clip models but they don't move me to upgrade.
No laughing. Your post is quite relevant and helpful. I have several Clip+s that are still running V01.02.15A and they don't have FM record, so it looks like FM record was added with the later firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, I can't test it out because SanDisk's software is not compatible with my Chromebook. I'll have to wait until I can access a Windows PC.

Thanks - I'll revise the OP
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #60
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No laughing. Your post is quite relevant and helpful. I have several Clip+s that are still running V01.02.15A and they don't have FM record, so it looks like FM record was added with the later firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, I can't test it out because SanDisk's software is not compatible with my Chromebook. I'll have to wait until I can access a Windows PC.

Thanks - I'll revise the OP
Glad I could be helpful!

Can you browse the Clip+ when connected to the Chromebook? You don't need to use the updater software as long as you an access the Clip+ as a drive to put files onto. Just drop the firmware file (available under "manual installation" on the firmware info page - use the download for all regions link) into the root of the Clip+. Disconnect, and it should start updating. The instructions are on that page.

I could never get the updater to work so I did it manually and it worked fine.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote