Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Finally started up my new T1... What a palava!

Ok, I am going to have a bit of a moan... So far my impressions of the PRS-T1 are "ok" but not great.

I picked up a PRS-T1 the other week on a bit of a whim and spurred by a decent clearance price. I am still unsure of the plastic cheap feeling form factor with fingerprint-magnet black shiny plastic and for that reason will not be parting yet with my PRS-650!

Last night I finally sat down to try and load my books and then sign out my first eBook from Overdrive... Now, I'm not TOO technical so maybe I've missed something here, but that took WAAAAAY longer than it should, and most of the "instructions" I came across didn't really tell me that I needed to install the Sony Reader software to first "authorize" my device with Adobe Digital Editions (which I did FIRST and couldn't figure out why the device wouldn't connect). Well, with the device authorized, I STILL could not see it listed when connected in Digital Editions and have given up. I am assuming this may or may not work via PC? Instead I logged onto the Overdrive site on my reader, and downloaded my checked-out book directly from there (which is most likely the way I will be doing it in future...but just annoyed it won't work via my Mac). The other problem that compounds the issue is that I'm a lifelong Windows user, now trying to find my way around a Mac...

Then when that was done, I thought I'd sort out a few collections but the reader kept telling me that there were too many already (automatically set up)... I got it down to about 100 and that seemed to let me create a new one, but how come I didn't have this issue on the 650?

Has anyone else found this to be as frustrating..? Ok, I will try and stop complaining now.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
dip166
dip166 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW2
Lol, what do you mean by "what a palavra?".

I've never owned a PRS-650, but I've heard you can add unlimited number of collections to it, unlike the T1 which I think holds only 100. It sounds like a big number, but it's really not when all your tags, series, etc add up to that number.
I'm probably one of the few people who really likes the T1 retro design, even over the new models... The white model works better with the fingerprint issue.

As for transfer your books, I would recommend Calibre as it lets you customize the menus a little bit, if you tweak around with plugins and settings. I remember it did take an awful long amount of time until I had things more or less the way I wanted. But then again, I never really buy and download anything directly from the Sony website (it changes your library looks again, they're not very strong in letting you personalize menus and all), so dunno if you could combine the 2 in some way (buy and download directly from the reader store AND keep your calibre menus settings)?
Sorry if I'm not really helping much^^;;
dip166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I have 372 collections on my T1 never had any issue with adding them, just for the record I use Calibre to do it and have just over 2500 books loaded all on the Micro SD.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I really ended up liking the lighter T case, though it did take a bit of getting used to after the metal 300/350. Mine was shiny red, and I love the finish now. You can always get a skin for it

I think I used the older Reader Library to make collections on my T1, after the Reader software choking on it and then getting a finger cramp adding them manually on the device. It took a while for the db to refresh also.

I'm also using Calibre now to sideload and mange my collections, and while it took a little getting used to with all its capabilities, I really do like it a lot more. I have it set to use the tags to make collections, though you can have it make separate Series collections if you use the Series column too.

I think the T1 is the last Sony that Adobe works with, and I ended up using wifi like you did. Check out books on the Library website and then connect w/ the Reader. Just quicker and easier - got tired of fighting with ADE after the simple way it worked with my 350.

Good luck, and enjoy the new screen - it's just as pretty as the one on my AuraHD inho.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
ADE on a Mac will not recognize the Sony readers. You have to install the Sony Reader for Mac software instead. It works fine to download the files from your library Overdrive website and then load them into the Sony software and then transfer to your ereader that way. Or, one of the best things about the Sony reader is its ability to interface directly with your Overdrive library over Wi-fi. No computer needed.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the feedback and tips, everyone. I think it will just be a bit of a learning curve for me, and yes, I'll have to get used to navigating around the features in Calibre a bit more.

The 100 limit on collections sounds about right. I was doing this on-device, so perhaps I can get around it via Calibre or the Reader software. Either way, now that it is cleaned up a bit, hopefully it will not be an issue (gotta love how the tags automatically create an "almost" duplicate category...I think I had about 265 to start with!).

White would have been my ideal colour, but wasn't an option when I bought mine the other week.

Oh, and: Palava: A term used to express what a load of hassle a task or experience is/was.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
teija
Gadget fiend

Ok, I hate to say it but the T1 is going to be returned. This week was the first week I actually had a chance to start using it and I quickly noticed the display seemed lopsided! Yes, it is only a couple of pixels at most, but it was VERY annoying and once seen could not be "unseen". There is not likely anything I can exchange it with, but I am happy with that. The T1 has just NOT impressed me - bad build quality, annoying shiny bezel and generally such a cheap feeling compared to the older ones. I am happy to keep my PRS-650 - which, aside from the lack of Wifi and the slower processor, I am much happier with!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
teija
Gadget fiend

Done and done. It is like a weight has been taken off my shoulders! lol.. and my PRS-650 is happy as it once again has my full attention.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When the T1s came out and I saw the shiny bezel, I immediately hunted down another new PRS-350 and bought that. I don't know what they were thinking when they put that glossy finish on an ereader. So you're not alone in disliking the finish on the reader.

As far the screen being slightly tilted, that would drive me crazy too and I couldn't live with it. I've had a few paperbacks in the past where the pages were printed slightly tilted and it drove me nuts reading.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Weird... did you load your books via calibre... that would create a collection for every tag.. but as far as I am aware there are no restrictions on the number of collections on the T1.. perhaps youran out of internal storage... to check go to home screen page 2 - settings - about - device information.. this will also confirm your adobe authorization.
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #11
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Weird... did you load your books via calibre... that would create a collection for every tag.. but as far as I am aware there are no restrictions on the number of collections on the T1.. perhaps youran out of internal storage... to check go to home screen page 2 - settings - about - device information.. this will also confirm your adobe authorization.
Mine originally did that I didn't like it and I turned it off somewhere in Calibre so it only used series as collections but no I've never ran to any restrictions either, that said I don't think the T1 or later are better than the older ones if anything their a step backwards in software.

Fine for reading if you already know what book you are after but a bit of a nuisance to browse the library etc
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, useability