Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #1171
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And it should appear as an available update when starting calibre.
Yep! I think some folk don't do every Calibre update and get used to ignoring that status(?) message.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #1172
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yep! I think some folk don't do every Calibre update and get used to ignoring that status(?) message.

IIRC there are two update messages in the status bar, the one to the right specifically says plugins. They have little to do with the more regular calibre update message and as such should be harder to ignore.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:24 AM   #1173
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm more likely to skip plugin updates than baseline calibre updates.

I've been ignoring View Manager updates for more than a year, and I only update Job Spy when the developer adds a new tool I think I might find useful. So when something like Count Pages gets updated I'm apt to miss it. But I'm not suggesting anything be done about that - just saying.

If someone has nothing better to do: So as to better differentiate the status line notifications for calibre and plugins, paint the calibre version number in same colour as the "Update found:" text :-

Not sure why the parentheses are there, when there's no calibre update available they don't appear.

BR

PS : I'm sure there are better things someone could do than paint version numbers green
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #1174
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm more likely to skip plugin updates than baseline calibre updates.

I've been ignoring View Manager updates for more than a year, and I only update Job Spy when the developer adds a new tool I think I might find useful. So when something like Count Pages gets updated I'm apt to miss it. But I'm not suggesting anything be done about that - just saying.

If someone has nothing better to do: So as to better differentiate the status line notifications for calibre and plugins, paint the calibre version number in same colour as the "Update found:" text :-

Not sure why the parentheses are there, when there's no calibre update available they don't appear.

BR

PS : I'm sure there are better things someone could do than paint version numbers green
I think the paren are added when the message has been concatenated to indicate there are 2 kinds available at the current time.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #1175
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the paren are added when the message has been concatenated to indicate there are 2 kinds available at the current time.
I think you're right, but to me the parentheses give the impression that the outstanding plugin updates are dependent on the outstanding calibre update - i.e. the (one plugin update) needs 3.27.1 - which is untrue, the latest View Mgr doco states it needs 1.48

angels on a pin

BR:
Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #1176
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I found one book that this plugin is giving 4.9k pages when in reality the paperback has 608. The previous edition of that same ebook from the same publisher has 982 pages according to the Count Pages plugin. I PM'ed kiwi with the details.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #1177
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
I found one book that this plugin is giving 4.9k pages when in reality the paperback has 608. The previous edition of that same ebook from the same publisher has 982 pages according to the Count Pages plugin. I PM'ed kiwi with the details.
Kiwidude is not active in recen times. Others have been maintaining the PI

You also failed to mention How you have the PI configured (count rules)

Lastly: Pages in a Paperback do not always align with an ebook. I suspect, the book has a terribly messy coding, resulting in the inflated count
Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #1178
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Lastly: Pages in a Paperback do not always align with an ebook. I suspect, the book has a terribly messy coding, resulting in the inflated count
I know, I mentioned it for perspective, the difference is never that big. I suspect the book has messy coding too btw. Still, it might be worth a look, who can I PM the details to?

The plugin is using the 'Paragraphs APNX accurate' count algorithm and ICU is enabled. Don't know if you meant something else.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #1179
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
. . . who can I PM the details to? . . .
Just post the details here, someone might be interested enough to take a look at it.

But, given what's already been posted, and the fact that its not a critical error i.e it's not crashing calibre or trashing your OS, don't get your hopes up.

Most orphaned PIs are not actively maintained except for life support (i.e. to comply with baseline calibre changes), or a PI developer decides to enhance to meet their own needs.

The source code of the PI is in the zip files, so ...

Are you running the latest version, IIRC a new version was released last week to accommodate some changes in the calibre baseline.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-14-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #1180
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

I just updated to the latest version before this happening. Old counts are still calculated the same so everything's fine. The only thing I can post is a link to the file itself which is probably against forum rules.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:40 AM   #1181
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I know, I mentioned it for perspective, the difference is never that big. I suspect the book has messy coding too btw. Still, it might be worth a look, who can I PM the details to?

The plugin is using the 'Paragraphs APNX accurate' count algorithm and ICU is enabled. Don't know if you meant something else.
I will have a look at it but I'll admit I never looked at the APNX page counting code. A quick look now and it seems to just be counting the paragraphs. With that, it sounds like a change in the structure of the book.

I need some details. Ideally, I'd like to see the both the old and new versions of the book. Using the Scramble ePub plugin will produce a book that can be posted, and should work with the Page Count. Otherwise, upload them somewhere and PM me the link.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #1182
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Is it possible to add a mathematical counter? Meaning if I choose to divide the word count by X which would leave me the page count?
There is a website "Book Design Made Simple" that has a list of page numbers to divide the word count by after determine the font and book size.

Here is an example:
To calculate the page count for a 5″ × 8″ book:

10 pt type – divide your word count by 400
11 pt type – divide your word count by 350
12 pt type – divide your word count by 300
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #1183
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is already a "Chars per page" option. Multiply the words per page in that calculation by the average word length and you would get the same result. Or, add a separate column that displays the word count divided by the words per page.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #1184
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Using the Scramble ePub plugin will produce a book that can be posted, and should work with the Page Count. Otherwise, upload them somewhere and PM me the link.
Here is a scrambled copy of the book. I actually had split the html file before in order to see if that would make the issue go away (originally it was one huge html file for the entire book) but the pages were still counted the same way so the issue is still there. I think the problem is the way that the styles are applied in the book. Huge mess.
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 Guide Book - Author.azw3 (5.77 MB, 223 views)
Old 07-22-2018, 03:45 AM   #1185
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Here is a scrambled copy of the book. I actually had split the html file before in order to see if that would make the issue go away (originally it was one huge html file for the entire book) but the pages were still counted the same way so the issue is still there. I think the problem is the way that the styles are applied in the book. Huge mess.
I have had a look at this, and it is working as designed. And the problem is the messy code in the book.

The APNX page calculation does the page count in two ways. Then it takes the maximum of the two.

The first way assumes a line is 70 characters long and a page has 31 lines. The plugin counts the paragraphs and text in each paragraph ignoring tags within the paragraph. This works out to 912 pages.

The other method, called "fast count", is to simply divide the total length of the HTML code by 2400. This works out to be 4937 pages. This is high because the paragraph tags have long styles and there are lots of spans with long styles wrapping only a few characters.

The plugin uses the maximum of these calculations. There is a comment in the code that the maximum is used in case it is a "really weird document" and that the first method underestimates the page count.

You mention that a previous version of the book gave a lower page count. That should be because the code in it was cleaner and the first method was probably the higher value.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin