Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FYI, I and many many others regularly create epub3 ebooks that 100% pass epubcheck. So I am not sure what is going on here. If all epub3 features are tagged as errors, then perhpas you do not have the correct version tag in the opf to indicate this is an epub3 versus an epub2.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #17
Akasashasha
Akasashasha began at the beginning.

Device: all
Quote:
perhpas you do not have the correct version tag in the opf to indicate this is an epub3
ok, can you tell me more so I have an idea what to look for ? maybe with a concrete example ? feel a bit lost ...

thanks a lot
Akasashasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If in a recent version of Sigil, it will tell you if your epub is an epub3 or epub2 by looking at the main gui Window name.

The definitive way is to look at the opf file. The content.opf file has an opf package tag that has a version attribute that determines the version of the epub:

For example, here is the opening package tag for a typical epub3 content.opf.

Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" version="3.0" xml:lang="en" unique-identifier="uid" prefix="rendition: http://www.idpf.org/vocab/rendition/# cc: http://creativecommons.org/ns#">
Notice the version="3.0"
Old 12-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #19
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasashasha View Post
... @odamizu: I tried many different things ... adding some fake ol with a fake link as you suggested, etc ... nothing seems to work ... still stuck in here ...
You misunderstood. A fake link will not validate. I wrote "filename.xhtml" as an example only. You need a real link in order to validate, but you can use any text you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasashasha
... answer so far from all of you seems to be that standard is still to epub 2
Actually, no. Only one person is pushing you to regress to epub2. Everyone else is trying to help you create a valid epub3.

I am slowly transitioning my library to epub3, and so far everything validates.

Last edited by odamizu; 12-21-2017 at 09:49 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have what I regard as an ugly way around this issue - so I'd also be interested in a more elegant approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
What is your ugly workaround?

[ . . . ]

(Or is that your ugly workaround, BR? )
Yeah, 'cept I put a dot where you have a dash.

I thought hoped there might be an explicit way to declare 'this is toc-less' book.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-21-2017 at 05:29 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #21
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yeah, 'cept I put a dot where you have a dash.

I thought hoped there might be an explicit way to declare 'this is toc-less' book.

BR
Haha! A dot is better; smaller than a dash Not that I ever do this. All my books have TOCs.

I also tested this with a non-breaking space — which I suspect you would have tried, too — but that wouldn't validate.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FYI, I and many many others regularly create epub3 ebooks that 100% pass epubcheck. So I am not sure what is going on here. If all epub3 features are tagged as errors, then perhpas you do not have the correct version tag in the opf to indicate this is an epub3 versus an epub2.
Kevin:

Do we have reason to believe that SW now accepts ePUB3? We've made some FXL ePUBs that, as far as I know, uploaded over there, but I don't remember if they were ePUB2 or 3. Nonetheless, for at least the last few years, every time an ePUB (2) was uploaded there, it tanked with alleged intake (ePUBcheck) errors. They had to be manually processed.

So, it could be an ePUB3.0 thing; or it could be just the usual SW intake errors around ePUBs. Just a thought.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I really have no idea about SW itself. That is why I asked him if epubcheck on his epub passed or not and if it gave the same error message.

The op said that epubcheck failed for every epub3 feature. I tried to point out this must be because of a coding error as valid epub3s can and do pass epubcheck
Old 12-22-2017, 12:30 AM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I really have no idea about SW itself. That is why I asked him if epubcheck on his epub passed or not and if it gave the same error message.

The op said that epubcheck failed for every epub3 feature. I tried to point out this must be because of a coding error as valid epub3s can and do pass epubcheck
As I mentioned, SW has had issues with intake on ePUBs for dog's years; AFAIK, ePUBs have not passed intake there, ever, not automatically. I have the direct email addresses of several folks over there, due to this exact issue. Cheerfully send a client off, ~~time passes~~ and then, I get an email telling me that "there's something wrong with your ePUB, it's failing at SW." {sigh}.

So, yes, I agree, I'd ePUBcheck it first, independently of SW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 AM   #25
Akasashasha

Dears

just received an answer from Smashwords, and actually, proud to say, I was right !

Many epub 3 functionalities are not accepted by Smashwords (this includes footnotes pop up, which was one of the main thing rejected in my ebooks) ...

So their standard is not real epub 3 but something like epub 2.5 (I know it doesn't exist, but well ... )

Quote:
If in a recent version of Sigil, it will tell you if your epub is an epub3 or epub2 by looking at the main gui Window name.
Yes, I'm using the latest update of Sigil, always, and by default using the epub 3 option which result in properly tagged xhtml files.

@KevinH: you wrote
Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" version="3.0" xml:lang="en" unique-identifier="uid" prefix="rendition: http://www.idpf.org/vocab/rendition/# cc: http://creativecommons.org/ns#">
What I have for the content.opf is a bit different but I don't see any mistake either in your or in my version of the code, can you please check it ?

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package version="3.0" unique-identifier="BookId" xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
Old 12-22-2017, 03:47 AM   #26
Akasashasha

and here is what I have for my toc.ncx

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<package prefix="rendition: http://www.idpf.org/vocab/rendition/# cc: http://creativecommons.org/ns#" unique-identifier="uid" version="3.0" xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
Old 12-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #27
Akasashasha

Hi guys

I'm sooo sorry, I just re-re-re checked my ebooks and discover that 2 of them (which were the main problem) where tagged as epub2 but were intended to be epub 3 ... so mostly my fault

I corrected that and now this 2 ebooks pass the epub validator successfully ... but still, according to Smashword standard, not sure they make it to their premium store as some epub3 tricks are not welcome on their website (not criticising them here, they are doing a great job ... just sharing info).

Thanks everyone, I learned a lot in the process.

Happy Christmas !

Tags
epub 3, epub check, nav.xhtml