Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
MobileRead Kindle Download Guide

This is an unofficial announcement. The suspense was killing me. Keeping this a secret was like having a huge box of chocolates I'm not allowed to open.

As a result of the ruckus a few weeks back, Alex decided to push forward with a download guide for the Mobipocket format ebooks here on MobileRead. It needs some polishing, but this early version is very good.

https://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide

P.S. The guide is updated daily, and there is a link inside so you can get the next version.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
zowie ! a very exciting thing !! bravo !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So what does everyone think?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i think i haz no kindle, but i like the idea. and i like the introduction.

maybe i'll get an astak with wifi and be downloading stuff all over the city, wireless style, yo. then i'll REALLY be a mobile reader (ar ar ar).
Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I was one of the beta testers and I think that this is a phenomenal resource.

First, I look at the Guide as a catalog of the books at MobileRead. Unlike the Feedbooks Guide and others, this well-crafted book contains the book descriptions as provided by the uploader. It's ideal for reading even when I don't have network connectivity (can you say "airplane") and planning what books I might want to download at the opportune time.

You wouldn't have to be a Kindle user to take advantage of it. Yes, Kindle users can download directly to the device over the Whispernet connection, but the Guide can be used by non-Kindle owners or Kindle owners who cannot connect to Whispernet.

Download the MobiPocket file with your browser and then open the Guide in MobiPocket Reader. If you're reading it on a Windows computer that has network connectivity, you can simply download any of the books using the links in the Guide. Note that MobiPocket Reader V6.0 won't open the book directly (or at least it won't on my computer and I installed it with all the defaults), but you can save it to your hard drive and then open it to read. I don't know if MobiPocket Reader on Blackberries or other networked hand-helds has a similar capability or not.

Which leads to a question whether the Guide would be useful in other formats. How about a Guide for Sony-format books? Even if there is no direct download from the Guide to a Sony device or workstation emulator (calibre?) I can see the same value in having the catalog on your device as I do to reading it on my Kindle.

OK -- I know it's asking a lot of our fearless programmers, but how about it?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Well, there already is a multi-format list or all uploaded ebooks. It's around here somewhere.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

aha, i hadn't really thought of using it on my pc, since i have access to the site there, but those are actually very good points. in which case, if it's not too much trouble, why not a guide for *all* formats ? (says the eb1150, hyper-obscure / mostly obsolete .imp format user...)

even better, why not combine all the guides into one MEGA guide ? i know that i frequently check the mobi section, since i can convert that format easily to .imp, and i'm just counting the days until i can convert sony format as well and catch up on all of Dr. Drib and Madame B's brilliant contributions. it could be separated into sections by format, with a linked TOC at the front, so you could easily skip to the format you wanted.

but already as it is, i do think it's a brilliant ressource.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
First, I look at the Guide as a catalog of the books at MobileRead. Unlike the Feedbooks Guide and others, this well-crafted book contains the book descriptions as provided by the uploader. It's ideal for reading even when I don't have network connectivity (can you say "airplane") and planning what books I might want to download at the opportune time.
First of all, you could have mentioned Feedbooks' guide as the inspiration in your announcement Nate

I decided against including the descriptions in my guide for a fairly good reason: once we'll have dozens of thousands of books, this would make the guide way too heavy. The Kindle can choke on such files very easily due to the nature of the indexing process. I haven't added the description on the mobile website yet (I'm focusing on RSS for Mobipocket/ePub, and a similar download facility for RSS on the Kindle), but I'd rather redirect the user to a mobile page for the description (I already do this on the type field, if you select "Science Fiction" on the Feedbook's guide, you get to the mobile website).

It's pretty nice that Mobileread provides such a download facility but the guide also highlights some of the problem related to indexing books on a forum rather than a database: you can't browse books by alphabetical order, can't have an index of the authors etc...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I was a beta tester, too, which is why I get the Super Secret Captain Midnight Decoder Badge. Kept the secret better than Nate, I guess.:P

I love the app. As Elsi says, it has the descriptions from the formatter right there, so it's less of a guessing game.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
First of all, you could have mentioned Feedbooks' guide as the inspiration in your announcement Nate

I decided against including the descriptions in my guide for a fairly good reason: once we'll have dozens of thousands of books, this would make the guide way too heavy. The Kindle can choke on such files very easily due to the nature of the indexing process. I haven't added the description on the mobile website yet (I'm focusing on RSS for Mobipocket/ePub, and a similar download facility for RSS on the Kindle), but I'd rather redirect the user to a mobile page for the description (I already do this on the type field, if you select "Science Fiction" on the Feedbook's guide, you get to the mobile website).

It's pretty nice that Mobileread provides such a download facility but the guide also highlights some of the problem related to indexing books on a forum rather than a database: you can't browse books by alphabetical order, can't have an index of the authors etc...
We still love you, too Hadrien.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
We still love you, too Hadrien.
tell us more about the feedbooks liseuse, then we'll love you even MORE.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
tell us more about the feedbooks liseuse, then we'll love you even MORE.
Not yet
I'd rather avoid making ANY empty promises and I'll showcase the device once it's ready for it and interact with the community at that time to improve the features.

For the moment I'll keep on talking about upcoming features such as RSS feeds (Mobileread, Blog) and our upcoming REST webservice that will enable any hardware manufacturer or programmer to interact with Feedbooks.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hadrien,

Note that this is just an "unofficial" announcement. I was going to write some more about the new MobileRead feature, and named Feedbooks directly as our source of inspiration.

Oh, Feedbooks has been named in our guide under attributions, btw.

I am pretty sure you're aware that we've already been discussing the current limitations attached to our forum and the e-book uploads. And it's on my agenda to get this fixed to allow for better indexing (author sort, title sort, author relationships, title relationships, you name it) and other future features.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Hadrien,

Note that this is just an "unofficial" announcement. I was going to write some more about the new MobileRead feature, and named Feedbooks directly as our source of inspiration.

Oh, Feedbooks has been named in our guide under attributions, btw.

I am pretty sure you're aware that we've already been discussing the current limitations attached to our forum and the e-book uploads. And it's on my agenda to get this fixed to allow for better indexing (author sort, title sort, author relationships, title relationships, you name it) and other future features.
Sure, Alex, I saw the last page where it is mentioned.

Concerning the guide, I'm simply giving my advice: I've had several e-mails of people who had troubles with their Kindle (slowed down, hanged up) after adding the guide on Feedbooks. Since your file is almost twice as large, I'd rather point out this issue pretty quickly. It's a shortcoming of the Kindle itself rather than our guides, but it's a common issue that I have to deal with.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I didn't have any trouble with the guide on my Kindle.