Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 08:17 PM   #31
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberd View Post
And the Forma does seem significantly lighter.
But that doesn't seem to be an issue here..
The weight of the Sage was one of the things that delayed my purchase decision for quite some time. In the end, because I only use it at home, I don't read with it in its case, and the actual real-world experience of the weight is not a problem. Although I usually hold it in my dominant hand, even holding it in my weaker, hemiparetic hand, is easy. ~240grams is not that hard to hold for an hour or so at a time, it turns out.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:17 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
That's a hell of a gamble...
Given how easy Amazon is with returns, not really? .

A random sampling of posts from the Kindle forum seem to confirm that this still held as recently as during Prime Day.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #33
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
My jailbroken Kindle PW5 running KOReader went into an unfixable boot loop (a very common issue with the PW5). I had a hell of a time trying to get it replaced. Finally got my refund and tried to find a new PW5, but tried 3 different shops and they were all 5.14.3.0.1… the dream is over. Now I’m back on a newer revision Libra 2 and really enjoying the crappy battery life and random frontlight crashes.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
My jailbroken Kindle PW5 running KOReader went into an unfixable boot loop (a very common issue with the PW5). I had a hell of a time trying to get it replaced. Finally got my refund and tried to find a new PW5, but tried 3 different shops and they were all 5.14.3.0.1… the dream is over. Now I’m back on a newer revision Libra 2 and really enjoying the crappy battery life and random frontlight crashes.
Libra 2 here. No crappy battery life and no front light crashes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #35
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Libra 2 here. No crappy battery life and no front light crashes.
May be a function of you never having tried the PW5. I was spoiled.

Are you running KOReader on it?
Advert
Old 09-05-2022, 03:39 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
May be a function of you never having tried the PW5. I was spoiled.

Are you running KOReader on it?
I have run KOReader on it. I didn't notice a crappy battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #37
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have run KOReader on it. I didn't notice a crappy battery.
Like I said, your bar for crappy battery is lower because you’ve never tried the Kindle.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:46 AM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
KOReader runs better on my KO2 than on Pocketbook Era.

That said, it feels more integrated on Pocketbook: just another app you can launch and you can choose to open a book with either PB Reader or KOReader from the Pocketbook library views. And it's easier to exit KOReader on Pocketbook because it has a physical Home button, and you can task switch.

And of course you need to jailbreak Kindle, install KUAL, and the thing to keep updates from installing. And once it is jail broken, you have to worry some about that getting undone, and whether you can install updates without breaking it. No such hassles and worries on Pocketbook.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #39
yaygya
yaygya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Yeah, having to redo the jailbreak hotfix with every Kindle version update can get annoying. That's why I initially downgraded to 5.6.5 on my PW3, but I missed some features from newer software versions.

As already mentioned, KOReader doesn't feel as integrated on the Kindle (for example, no USB mass storage, which is admittedly a minor pet peeve). It does run decently though. My Kindle is over 6 years old now, and I'm starting to consider a potential replacement device. It's hard to decide, because while I like Kindles, jailbreaking is a pain, and I can't read library e-books on it. I was eyeing the Sage but it's a bit pricey, the pen features apparently aren't as good as some other devices, and everyone knows about the battery life.
yaygya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #40
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)

Miraculously found a PW5 locally that was still on 5.14.0.1. Jailbroke it and put KOReader back on. Returning the hopeless Libra 2 for a second time. Hopefully the new PW5 doesn’t decide to go into a boot loop this time.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #41
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Yeah, jailbreak is a pain, and reinstalling after FW update. Zzzz. But koreader runs great on kindle if you have one. But I can't be bothered. Kobo Libra 2 for me. The PW5 is nice and a good price, but I can't be bothered with Bezo's lock down BS.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:14 PM   #42
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What's a good device to run KOReader on, that is as big or bigger than an Elipsa, but has some combination of better resolution/better battery life?
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #43
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

None (because all the contenders would run Android, which is terrible)? ;o).
Unless you can suffer through Pocketbook's weirdness, in which case they probably have put out a decent 10.3" device, given that they put out billions of models every year ;p. Battery life is probably not going to be any better, though. But, again, PB as a platform is only vaguely less annoying than Android.

(FWIW, the Elipsa has a fairly honorable battery life, all things considered. That's mostly thanks to using gigantic cells, but, still).

You can hold out hope for a Kindle Scribe JB, at which point it would absolutely annihilate the competition, but that's a big if .

(AFAIK, that'll also be the first device with a higher density panel at those sizes, which kinda limits your current choices anyway).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-10-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #44
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The Likebook Mimas isn't that terrible.

The screen is a bit gray, the contrast is poor and the battery life when the device is suspended is a joke.

On the plus side the browser isn't that bad (it switches to A2 mode when scrolling), KOReader works flawlessly (at least on the android 6 I've tried), and the "app optimizations" don't break any app AFAIK.

It also has an sdcard slot, it is easy to root and to remove badware. Makes a great device if you can get one for 150 bucks.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:24 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I also kinda forgot the obvious answer: an rM 2. I don't have any experience with, but it's likely not bad, either.