Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #106
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Sense of humour, kindness etc. Yeah right; on second sight, I'll believe that. But it ain't the primary trigger. Never met a woman who told me "I couldn't help but notice how smart/funny/whatever you are" as a dialogue opener. Let's face it: the primary triggers still are the same as they were when we were in caves: the spear-throwing hunters broad shoulders @ males; and the kiddo-factory pelvis @ females. Only if one is aware of said subconscious signal effects fitering is possible.
Well spear chuckers are ok, but I always preferred the macho, I am king of the universe type even if I am a scrawny little ****.

what is a kiddo-factory pelvis BTW?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #107
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
The initial attractors are a no-brainer, but before I knew my husband I found that getting old after a while. Without sounding self-deprecating, neither my husband nor I are what each other would have 'seen across a room' and said "I want that one!". Although if you ask me, I think he is the handsomest person on earth just due to how much I love him (sorry for the mushy talk)

Eventually when I started considering getting serious and wanting a longer term settling down, I began to not really give a cr-p what the dude looked like - and sometimes only noticed how handsome someone was or not after I got to know them, the person. And here my husband and I are, 18 years after we first met, still very happy together.

Mileage varies for preferences.- I think the reason I like romance novels is the opposite way the female/male leads seem to experience falling in love to my own experience. Step out of my own world into a different one.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #108
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Sense of humour, kindness etc. Yeah right; on second sight, I'll believe that. But it ain't the primary trigger. Never met a woman who told me "I couldn't help but notice how smart/funny/whatever you are" as a dialogue opener. Let's face it: the primary triggers still are the same as they were when we were in caves: the spear-throwing hunters broad shoulders @ males; and the kiddo-factory pelvis @ females. Only if one is aware of said subconscious signal effects fitering is possible.
I'm a pretty good judge of character. And while looks might be the first trigger in most cases, I can usually tell if someone is a douchebag early on. I'm not attracted to douchebags in the least bit. I'm not so desperate that I'm going to hook up with one- plenty of options out there. So, while a guy may be physically attractive in my eyes, sometimes 10 minutes of conversation is enough to let me know to run away, and quickly.

I also think as you get older, you become choosier and less inclined to tolerate crap, even if it's from a good looking guy.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #109
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was going to comment that "dost" is the correct word rather than "doest", but a little research shows that either can be used, although the form without the "e" is much more common. "doest" is only used by Shakespeare, for example, in blank verse where the metre requires the extra syllable.
Her words: There was never going to be any interesting conversation, no witty repertoire, no allusions to literary characters and no reading recommendations.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #110
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@ spindlegirl & voracious: I agree fully with both statements, my point was just, that is the, previously brought into discussion, inner valours aren't an option for first focus judgment (1st glance decision if contact should be tried at all), especially when; as the first post described only short term plans are involved.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #111
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
If you find someone who is also a reader, then you always have some common ground for discussion and it's wonderful if you actually meet someone who shares your reading likes and dislikes.

I don't view it as shallow to be turned off by someone who doesn't have any books in their home, though I do think you might have been a bit hasty in your judgement and put a little too much emphasis on the book-owning and not enough on the person - especially since it wasn't a situation where you were making a lifetime commitment . What if he was dyslexic? I'm more concerned with the person having a sane and balanced worldview, and that can be obtained without being an avid reader of books.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #112
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
If I was going to have a one night stand with someone, the last thing on my mind would be how well read they are.

In a long term relationship however....

[and for the record, my wife had to ship about 25 boxes of books to our place when we got married and she moved cross country]
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #113
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
The initial attractors are a no-brainer, but before I knew my husband I found that getting old after a while. Without sounding self-deprecating, neither my husband nor I are what each other would have 'seen across a room' and said "I want that one!". Although if you ask me, I think he is the handsomest person on earth just due to how much I love him (sorry for the mushy talk)

Eventually when I started considering getting serious and wanting a longer term settling down, I began to not really give a cr-p what the dude looked like - and sometimes only noticed how handsome someone was or not after I got to know them, the person. And here my husband and I are, 18 years after we first met, still very happy together.

Mileage varies for preferences.- I think the reason I like romance novels is the opposite way the female/male leads seem to experience falling in love to my own experience. Step out of my own world into a different one.
that's very sweet i'm a big sap; i love hearing stories like this

i don't judge people i want to date based on their appearance. i was bullied for it in high school soo...i'm kind of really self-conscious.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #114
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
There is a fine line between being SMART and backing away when someone has a trait that you know you don't want in a partner (non-reader) and being so picky that you'll be single forever. I think you're still on the right side of that line.

I am married, but once in a while I think about what things would be deal-breakers if I met someone to date, and there are definitely some things that would turn me off to the point of not even wanting to start even a friendship up. What's the point? I know myself and know that those things are too important to me to ever let them go, and why would I want to start a relationship when I detect an issue that will cause me to be a dissatisfied NAG. No thanks! It's one thing if he prefers to read Sci Fi and non-fiction and you only read suspense and the classics (or something) ... that can be worked around. But to be like, "What's an ereader?" OMGosh, he lives in a hole! Haha!
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I detest flowery words like in the title of this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #116
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I detest flowery words like in the title of this thread.
I like floury food
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #117
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't deplore non-readers. I nothing them. They are free to live their lives as they wish, and I will live mine. A person doesn't have to be a die-hard reader, but a house devoid of books is a pretty good indication of incompatibility.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #118
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I don't deplore non-readers. I nothing them. They are free to live their lives as they wish, and I will live mine. A person doesn't have to be a die-hard reader, but a house devoid of books is a pretty good indication of incompatibility.
+ 1
Incompatibility is just the right keyword
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #119
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
a house devoid of books could also mean they use their e-readers avidly
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #120
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
a house devoid of books could also mean they use their e-readers avidly
See first post.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote