Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #136
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This is a question for the people who already own a Paperwhite, and who are adventurous enough to try this...

Collections Manager should be far less firmware-version-dependent than, for instance, JBPatch. In fact, it might work out of the box on Paperwhites. At least, substituting the Amazon libraries on the build path with the files from FW 5.2.0 (instead of FW 5.1.2) does not produce any compile errors, so it might actually just work.

To test it, you will need:
- the developer keys - need to be manually installed
- the Kindlet jailbreak (manually install it as outlined in the src/ folder) - this should install without any problems; the original file is the same on the Touch and PW.
- and of course the .azw2 file from the first post.

I would be interested to know whether it works, or if it doesn't, which errors it produces. In case of hangs or crashes, more information is available either in the system log, or in /mnt/us/developer/Collections Manager/work/ (well, at least, that's where logs go on the Kindle Touch).

Anyone?

So... a little update:

- I now repackaged the Kindlet Jailbreak package, so that it can (also) be installed on the Paperwhite. You can download it here. This file should be SAFE to install/uninstall on your Paperwhite. And while you will not see any noticeable effect of the install or uninstall, please let me know if it succeeded (=rebooted and brought you back to the normal UI without any error).

- Since the Kindlet Jailbreak now has a package for installation, only the developer keys still have to be manually installed.

- a working usbnetwork package (which is required to get root access for manually installing the other dependencies) can be obtained from this thread.

Any feedback is very welcome.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #137
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: Err, you got the wrong file
Hmpf. Too many files with the same name

But yes, I obviously got something wrong, and you're right. I'll try to fix my posts now.
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #138
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: I didn't want to change the version number, but maybe I will, that might help avoid stuff like this .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #139
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
So... a little update:

- I now repackaged the Kindlet Jailbreak package, so that it can (also) be installed on the Paperwhite. You can download it here. This file should be SAFE to install/uninstall on your Paperwhite. And while you will not see any noticeable effect of the install or uninstall, please let me know if it succeeded (=rebooted and brought you back to the normal UI without any error).

- Since the Kindlet Jailbreak now has a package for installation, only the developer keys still have to be manually installed.

- a working usbnetwork package (which is required to get root access for manually installing the other dependencies) can be obtained from this thread.

Any feedback is very welcome.
Installed and uninstalled. Worked perfect, no errors.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #140
blueshiftlabs
blueshiftlabs doesn't litterblueshiftlabs doesn't litter

Device: DXG, PW1, PW5
I was able to install Kindlet Jailbreak, get usbnet running, SSH into the device, and install the dev keys. After that, installing Collections Manager was pretty simple.

When I ran it, it got stuck at the "www.ixtab.tk" splash screen. The log was full of multiple copies of this exception trace:

Code:
[10/7/12 5:21 PM] Collections Manager (v. 1.3.3)

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.amazon.kindle.booklet.ChromeException
        at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionManagerKindlet.initUiAfterSplash(CollectionManagerKindlet.java:70)
        at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionManagerKindlet.access$1(CollectionManagerKindlet.java:66)
        at com.mobileread.ixtab.collman.CollectionManagerKindlet$2.run(CollectionManagerKindlet.java:51)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Compiled Method)(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.AGUIEventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.startup(Unknown Source)
blueshiftlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #141
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Hello,

Does this work on the new Kindle PW as well?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #142
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Hello,

Does this work on the new Kindle PW as well?
Answer in the post directly above yours: No.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #143
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Answer in the post directly above yours: No.
Thank you. It was not obvious for me that the error that user had was on the Kindle PW.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #144
ixtab
(offline)

@blueshiftlabs: Thanks for testing it, and sorry that it doesn't work.

In fact, that error got me thinking that my statement "at least it should compile" must have obviously been wrong. And indeed, I had added the 5.2.0 libraries, but forgotten to remove the 5.1.2 ones - stupid me. After removing the 5.1.2 libraries from the project, I now get about 300 compile errors.

Bad, bad Amazon. Their even more aggressive obfuscation now seems to have again renamed classes and methods. This means that porting these things to the PW will be a lot of work, and I don't even know how to do it right now. Anyway, I can't start working on it before I receive my PW.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #145
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
@blueshiftlabs : how did you manage to install kindlet and usbnet ? I get an update error 3 each time....

@ixtab: thank you for the work, very appreciated.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #146
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Amazon did similar on 3.4, renaming files, shifting around codes, just to make us doing work again ...
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #147
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
@blueshiftlabs : how did you manage to install kindlet and usbnet ? I get an update error 3 each time....

@ixtab: thank you for the work, very appreciated.
Update error 3: you are restarting the device instead of using "Update your Kindle".

I really don't understand why this keeps being asked over and over. The correct method to install updates is described in every single README.txt. Which part of "READ ME" do people not get?

(Sorry, nothing personal. It's just that this question has been answered about a thousand times now).
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #148
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Update error 3: you are restarting the device instead of using "Update your Kindle".

I really don't understand why this keeps being asked over and over. The correct method to install updates is described in every single README.txt. Which part of "READ ME" do people not get?

(Sorry, nothing personal. It's just that this question has been answered about a thousand times now).
You are right, I am an idiot.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #149
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.4.0

Here's a new version.

This version does not contain any new functionality (except for a tiny bugfix which affects the renaming of collections).

So, why has the version been bumped to 1.4.0? Simple: because internally, pretty much everything has changed. All of the code has been completely refactored, to even prepare it for Paperwhite support. If you're curious, here is the massive changeset.

There are major differences between Firmware version 5.1.2 and 5.2.0 (thanks, Amazon, for getting ever more aggressive with the code obfuscation! ).

Note that it still doesn't support the Paperwhite - I have only laid the groundwork for the support, by separating the device-independent from the device-dependent parts. The device-dependent part for 5.2.0 still needs to be done - and this will be some tough work.

Anyway, because of these major code changes, I may well have introduced a few new bugs (well, I don't hope so, but you never know). So please install the new version and let me know if everything works correctly, or if maybe I actually did break something.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #150
ixtab
(offline)

Alpha version for Paperwhite

OK, so here we go:

first experimental version for Paperwhite users!

The installation is pretty much the same as for the Kindle Touch. The jailbreak and Kindlet Jailbreak installer have already been ported to the Paperwhite and can be downloaded from the "normal" links. And an installer for the developer certificates that should also be working for the Paperwhite is now available here.

Notes:
  • I do not own a Kindle Paperwhite, so I could NOT test this myself!
  • This definitely will not work on the Kindle Touch - but hopefully it will on the PW.
  • Search functionality is disabled. In order to make this work, I'll really need my own PW for testing.
  • The menu may, or may not, work correctly. Please report back.

As said, this version was essentially adapted to the PW "in thin air". I only have the firmware here to reverse engineer it, but I don't have the device to test it. But... well, at least it compiles for the PW now

So please try it out and report back about how it performs, and about what works and what doesn't. It could also be that the entire thing just crashes/hangs. In that case, please post here the output of "/mnt/us/developer/Collections Manager/work/crash.log"

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Attachment removed; PW is now officially supported.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-09-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks