Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
3 french language sites with lots of e-books

Hi,

For people who can read in french (personally I read french though far slower than english or my native romanian) these are 3 sites with (legal) e-books in french.

Ebooks Libres & Gratuits - like Guttenberg but has many books that are not available there (at least the last time I checked)

http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooks.php

Gallica - the french national library - has some books that I could not find anywhere else

http://gallica.bnf.fr/

La Bibliothèque électronique du Québec

http://jydupuis.apinc.org/index.htm

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Merci beaucoup Liviu. Ce sont des sites, tout près, que je ne connaissais même pas!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd love to see e-books with side by side translations. I took enough French in school to recognize a few words here and there, and it would be neat to have the French and English sentences right next to each other. In fact, if that had been available to me when I still actually remembered some French, I probably would have kept reading in French. (I did it for a while in the past, but it was just too slow to keep looking up so many words.)

Surely that's a way to kill three birds with one stone... learn a language, encourage reading at the same time and provide a new application for e-books.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Translating to french is difficult.
Because of a federal law in Canada, every official text has to be issued in both official languages. So has every commercial wrapping, owners manual and whatnot sold in Canada. My brother has made it his life for the last 20y. He's still learning it.
The main difficulties arise from the fact that some words have no precise equivalent in the other language. Worse, grammar concepts don't apply either. The worst for anglos, and funniest for us is the memorisation of gender for every noun.

BTW there is a very funny movie showing right now, "Bon cop, bad cop" It was made in the two languages, pretty unusual because after 200y. there is still quite a bit of animosity between the two cultures. As we say " Que veux-tu? Rome n'a pas été faite en un jour!" But the movie is a sellout in Québec and lukewarm in the rest of Canada.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I'd love to see e-books with side by side translations. I took enough French in school to recognize a few words here and there, and it would be neat to have the French and English sentences right next to each other. In fact, if that had been available to me when I still actually remembered some French, I probably would have kept reading in French. (I did it for a while in the past, but it was just too slow to keep looking up so many words.)

Surely that's a way to kill three birds with one stone... learn a language, encourage reading at the same time and provide a new application for e-books.
I have 2 bilingual print books (romanian-english - poetry though) as you mentioned, left page original, right page translation, line to line, and my feelings are mixed about the usefulness, though it's true I speak, think and switch at ease in both languages (with my wife I talk in romanian, but with my son in english since while he understands romanian but living all his life here, he prefers english)

Ultimately to read in a language, as long as you know a little bit, you gotta bite the bullet and read something you really want to read and have no other choice of languages. It's not that easy as I can tell since I still have not gotten around to reading some books by M. Dantec that I really want to read but cannot find myself to summon the energy for. Only for the amazing Les Bienveillantes (prix Goncourt and prix du Academie Francais 2006, written by an american!! in french), I recently found the energy to slog through.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
petiteile
petiteile began at the beginning.

c'est sympa de repondre en francais ca me fais au moins une reponse que je peux lire
petiteile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
cheers for the links

I am new to the Ebook world but I have been looking for a site with French novels on it. Ta...

Merci pour le informacion...

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I am new to the Ebook world but I have been looking for a site with French novels on it. Ta...

Merci pour le informacion...

hidari
Hey! No swearing on this site!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
merci beaucoup pour cette links!
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post

When I decided to really read in english, I started with books (paperbooks then) for children/young adults, and some Agatha Christie's and Sherlock Homes.
French editors are way far behind for ebooks... So you'll have every difficulty to find books like these.
I'll try classical ones (public domain then), like Jules Verne and La Comtesse de Ségur.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post

Did anyone read the different articles/texts from the guy who run this site ?
He's gone totally crazy with a conspiracy theory (or is he right?) and I've still to decide if he wrote this as fiction or if he's convinced of telling the truth...
Definitively weird...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post

I don't think side-by-side translations are very useful. Usually when you are reading in a foreign language, you will have a problem understanding a word or an expression, sometimes a grammatical construction. In a side-by-side transaction you won't get any answer to your questions, just a translation of the sentence you are reading. It may not be easy to identify which word or expression translates the one you stumbled on.

IMO a format with notes indicating the translation of words, or explanation of grammatical structures, is much more useful.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
msalt
msalt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

[QUOTE=Liviu_5;46493]Hi,

For people who can read in french (personally I read french though far slower than english or my native romanian) these are 3 sites with (legal) e-books in french.

Ebooks Libres & Gratuits - like Guttenberg but has many books that are not available there (at least the last time I checked)

http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooks.php

Gallica - the french national library - has some books that I could not find anywhere else

http://gallica.bnf.fr/

Liviu[/QUOTE

Do you know where i could get an ebook - Le Petite Nicolas sil vous plais Maureen
msalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by msalt View Post

Do you know where i could get an ebook - Le Petite Nicolas sil vous plais Maureen
I don't think there are any legal e-books of Le petit Nicolas available, sorry.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote