Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #301
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
Text-to-speech can be added to FBReader via the FBReader TTS Plugin.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #302
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
@ beartard. You need to add Bluefire Reader for Android to the list. Unless it's there and I just passed by it. Lot's of readers available now.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #303
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I've added BlueFire reader to general eBook readers, Calibre Library to eBook tools, and updated FBreader's blurb to include a link for it's TTS plugin for speech. Thanks for all the feedback, guys! Karma all around where allowed.

School has been occupying most of my time lately. I love the 7:30-3:30 part of my new job. The 3:30-10:00 part stinks. On the next update, I plan to rearrange the apps by popularity again, as I know it's changed. I also want to merge my list into the wiki page.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #304
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I am subscribing to this thread just cuz.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #305
sherbs
Enthusiast
sherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheesesherbs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eee Pad, Galaxy S2
Laputa Reader has been MIA for some time now.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #306
Sacha Heck
Sacha Heck began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v, iPhone 3GS
Webkit E-Reader on Android?

Hi,

I am currently looking for a webkit-based ePub-Reader for Android. Which of all the listed eReaders are webkit based? I'd like to preview files or come the nearest possible to iBooks, just for testing. Till now I have installed several readers on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v and I found that Bluefire Reader works best for the moment. It can display tables while Readers like FBReader or Aldiko cannot.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,
Sacha
Sacha Heck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #307
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! Karma all around where allowed.
No way man, it's you that deserves the karma, great job on keeping the post up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
School has been occupying most of my time lately. I love the 7:30-3:30 part of my new job. The 3:30-10:00 part stinks. On the next update, I plan to rearrange the apps by popularity again, as I know it's changed.

I also want to merge my list into the wiki page.
It was me that started the wiki page for the Android eReaders apps. It really is all your hard work copied there, and even then it was a lot of work, so I do really appreciate the work you've done here.

The nice thing about the wiki is anyone can contribute and you don't feel the burden only on you. This way if your school gets to busy folks don't have to feel guilty if you don't get around to updating the list.

Is there a way you can add a link to the wiki page at the top of your fist post?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #308
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

I just saw a need and jumped on it. That was before there was even a forum dedicated to Android here. I got left in the dust.

And thanks for doing the wiki. It's definitely great to have all this in there. I've posted a link to it in the first post.

I'm a relatively new teacher...definitely new at my current post. I'm doing good to cook supper and maintain personal relationships at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No way man, it's you that deserves the karma, great job on keeping the post up to date.

It was me that started the wiki page for the Android eReaders apps. It really is all your hard work copied there, and even then it was a lot of work, so I do really appreciate the work you've done here.

The nice thing about the wiki is anyone can contribute and you don't feel the burden only on you. This way if your school gets to busy folks don't have to feel guilty if you don't get around to updating the list.

Is there a way you can add a link to the wiki page at the top of your fist post?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #309
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101 View Post
Text-to-speech can be added to FBReader via the FBReader TTS Plugin.
The default TTS voice has a lot of static in it using FBReader, best option seems to be to lower the volume, but is there any app with a better sounding voice?

(I'd also love to be able to use TTS with the Kindle app, but since I just got access to a gazillion library books, I won't press my luck on that just yet.)

copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #310
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
The default TTS voice has a lot of static in it using FBReader, best option seems to be to lower the volume, but is there any app with a better sounding voice?

(I'd also love to be able to use TTS with the Kindle app, but since I just got access to a gazillion library books, I won't press my luck on that just yet.)

Try SVOX, available from the Market. The app is free and the voice "libraries" are $2.99 each. It offers UK and US English, male and female along with a couple of other languages. I tried several demos and I think it's the best.
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #311
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamole View Post
Try SVOX, available from the Market. The app is free and the voice "libraries" are $2.99 each. It offers UK and US English, male and female along with a couple of other languages. I tried several demos and I think it's the best.
I've tried both SVOX (Victoria UK English) and Loquendo (Susan US English) and think SVOX is the best for the money. It makes the stock TTS sound primitive in comparison.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #312
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Kindle
Cost: Free
Formats supported: azw, mobi, topaz
Online catalogs: Amazon

Notes: Most popular eBook application in the market at this time. The best feature for those already using Amazon's Kindle is that the Android app "knows" where you stop reading. If you read a bit on your Kindle at home, you can pick up where you left off on your smartphone on the commute to work. When you pick up your Kindle at home, you guessed it. It syncs. Even better, for those who have rooted their nook color devices, it's like having Kindle and nook in one unit.
AFAIK Kindle only syncs your Kindle books. Is there a way to get it to sync books from other sources?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #313
Sacha Heck
Sacha Heck began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v, iPhone 3GS
Hi there,

I recently tested some eReaders and found that Blio Reader does a very decent job concerning layout and design of ePubs. I'm not quite sure if it's webkit-based but it can handle tables very well for example. Most other readers I tried can't ... You may wanna check it out and add it to the tools?

Kind Regards,
Sacha
Sacha Heck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #314
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha Heck View Post
Hi there,

I recently tested some eReaders and found that Blio Reader does a very decent job concerning layout and design of ePubs. I'm not quite sure if it's webkit-based but it can handle tables very well for example. Most other readers I tried can't ... You may wanna check it out and add it to the tools?

Kind Regards,
Sacha
Sacha, this thread is specifically for Android ebook software. I believe Blio is currently for Windows only. An Android version is supposed to be forthcoming, but it's not here yet.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #315
prophet5590
prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Sacha, this thread is specifically for Android ebook software. I believe Blio is currently for Windows only. An Android version is supposed to be forthcoming, but it's not here yet.
Blio is in the market -free

https://market.android.com/details?i....androidreader

I'm off to download it now, I'll update with any thoughts, if I have any...

update:
It seems big (12 meg download). It takes a while to load initially.

After using it a little - it's black/white or white/black, no other color options appear to be available. 5 choices for font size.

It does allow importing of books. I imported a couple of epubs from feedbooks, they seem to work well. The covers showed up(!)

I also imported a DRMed book (from Barnes and Noble) and got an error, "Cannot open book".

Purchases appear to only be supported for United States, Mexico and Canada.

They do offer a choice of a free 'premium' book but when I went to the site, it appears that they aren't really free? I didn't continue because I didn't want to accidentally buy something. There was a section to enter a promo code but no code was given to me.

You can have multiple bookmarks per book, with a title you enter [default is chapter name or book title, and percentage read].

There is a 'go to page' function, but it seems to be restricted to the current chapter/section (i.e., in Makers [Cory Doctorow] when I open the 'Go to page' in the section about the author, I can only go to pages 1-4)

I don't see anything wrong with it, but, I don't see anything that makes it a strong recommendation, either.

Last edited by prophet5590; 10-17-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: updating with findings
prophet5590 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one