Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
pskosinski
pskosinski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
How to convert mobi newspaper to mobi book?

One thing I hate about mobi newspapers is that one can't use landscape mode. You can use it in any standard book though. All newspaper-related Kindle's features are useless to me. That's why I want to convert mobi newspaper to mobi book, to be able to use landscape mode. How can I do that? I was trying to play with Calibre but that's a really weird piece of software and I couldn't achieve what I wanted.
pskosinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
calibre is your best bet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pskosinski View Post
One thing I hate about mobi newspapers is that one can't use landscape mode. You can use it in any standard book though. All newspaper-related Kindle's features are useless to me. That's why I want to convert mobi newspaper to mobi book, to be able to use landscape mode. How can I do that? I was trying to play with Calibre but that's a really weird piece of software and I couldn't achieve what I wanted.
You can't do that, simply because MOBI newspapers and magazines are NOT reflowable. They are a form of fixed-format--and thus, not adjustable to landscape. That's why. To change that, you'll have to download the files, deal with DRM, unpack them, analyze them, and then completely recode them into reflowable, not fixed-layout, eBooks/magazines.

Honestly--I wouldn't take that gig for a pile of money. I've dealt with a crapload of "make this FXL file into reflowable," and as the two are practically unrelated, DNA-wise, in the sense that a daffodil and a platypus are unrelated....that's a boatload of work. A BOATLOAD. You'll have to really, really love those magazines!!!

But good luck to you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
One thing I hate aI was trying to play with Calibre but that's a really weird piece of software and I couldn't achieve what I wanted.
If the newspaper/magazine is available as a website you might be able to get it with calibre's Fetch News feature, it currently has recipes for 1600+ publications. And it's not too hard to write your own recipe.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-13-2017 at 10:12 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
pskosinski
pskosinski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
That's pity. Thank you people for answers.

@BetterRed – No, it's not available on a website, otherwise probably almost nobody would pay for that.

I found the solution though! The newspaper is available in epub format too. When I was trying to play with Calibre to convert mobi-to-mobi I was getting magazine-layout all the time. But when I downloaded epub version and converted to mobi now it's in nice simple book format.

I guess I should mention in the beginning that I can have epub file too but I didn't think that may be useful, sorry.

Anyway, that's one more thing I don't like in Kindle, functionality is so limited that often it doesn't really suit me. :/ I guess next time I will go for a PocketBook.

PS. I guess I'm a bit lucky that in Poland all e-book shops (usually) give you books/magazines in both (DRM-free but watermarked) epub and mobi.

Last edited by pskosinski; 06-14-2017 at 09:17 AM.
pskosinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use epub format exclusively. It converts just fine on the KDP (and I assume also through Kindle Previewer, though I've never tried that). Sigil is my editor of choice.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@BetterRed – No, it's not available on a website, otherwise probably almost nobody would pay for that.
FTR (for the record) - calibre can fetch news from paywalled sites, you have to configure your account name and password when you set the schedule.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote