Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Ballistics
Ballistics began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Adding metadata to mobi questions.

HI! first post here so please be gentle.

I have a few questions relating to Calibre and the Kindle 3.

I have 500+books (mobi format) on the Kindle and would like to be able to view the book description without having the hassle of connecting to amazon each time.

I found that I can add the metadata to the start of each book which solves this irritation.

Do I have to convert each book in my calibre library so it includes the metadata or is there a way to add it directly to the books on the kindle?

If I convert mobi to mobi , will I have 2 x mobi files or will one be discarded in the process?

If I have to convert all my books so they include the metadata at the start of the book, would it be best to just delete the entire contents of my kindle 3 and resend them using Calibre?

Maybe I'm missing something here so if there is an easier way to read book descriptions ,please tell me.

Thank you for your time and patience.
Ballistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you do not need the metadata actually in the book itself, then perhaps the Calibre catalog facility would satisfy your requirements? Having generated a catalog you can then load it onto the Kindle to carry with you to keep it available for reference.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Ballistics
Ballistics began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the advice.

I created a catalog and whilst it is very useful for browsing my ebook collection, I still wanted to have each mobi to have a summary at the start.

I bit the bullet, converted all my books again so as to include the metadata... deleted all books from K3, then re-added using Calibre. When I woke up this morning, Kindle was happily indexing them all.

All sorted now. thanks again
Ballistics is offline   Reply With Quote