Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
manxam
Enthusiast
manxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheese

Device: Aura HD, Aura One (2nd warranty)
[Android App] Calibre Companion Beta Bug

I just purchased this program to go along with Kovid's excellent calibre program to use along with my Galaxy tab plus running android ics.

I'm currently running calibre .8.64 under osx and while transferring anywhere from 1 to 100 books I get the following error in calibre:

Code:
"error communicating with device:ControlError(None,)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 83, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 478, in _upload_books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 43, in _synchronizer
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 749, in upload_books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 409, in _put_file
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 376, in _call_client
ControlError: <unprintable ControlError object>
The screen on the android tablet has not turned off, the wifi is still connected and has not timed out. Calibre Companion still shows "Syncing with calibre".

I have to to go apps and force quit the application, re-enter, connect and then it will re-sync with calibre at which point I can continue. Again, it may transfer 1 book or 100 before the error happens again... Is there a way for me to obtain more detailed logs?

EDIT: Well, I enabled calibre debug mode but now calibre companion just force quits all of the time. I've tried rebooting the tablet to no avail. Should I remove, delete data, and reinstall?

Thanks!
manxam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think I know what is happening, because I ran into the same problem around two hours ago. We have a timing problem in the app where Android will "toss" some things that we are still using. I am working on a fix for it.

The workaround I use is to enable calibre debug mode, connect, and then wait until calibre starts sending NOOPs to the app. The app will show a force close dialog in the middle of this, but don't hit OK until you see the NOOPs on calibre's debug log. From then on the app will then be stable until you send more books or until you change libraries to another that has the books in it. There is nothing more you can do until we get the update out, which will be sometime tomorrow (UK time).

My apologies. This bug is my fault. I added on Friday some internal caching of metadata to speed up the app (it got more than twice as fast), but I broke something fundamental.

Thank you for your patience.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another part of the work-around: the bug is triggered when you connect to a different calibre library than the one from which you sent the books.

Are you changing libraries? If you are, then try to avoid it until we get a new release out.

Thanks again for trying the app and for reporting the problem.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
manxam
Enthusiast
manxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheesemanxam can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Another part of the work-around: the bug is triggered when you connect to a different calibre library than the one from which you sent the books.

Are you changing libraries? If you are, then try to avoid it until we get a new release out.

Thanks again for trying the app and for reporting the problem.
Thanks for the reply. I only have one Calibre library. I'll await the update and try it again then.

Thanks for the help!

cheers
Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

We have put an updated app on google play that we are quite sure fixes this problem. We know it fixes it for the two scenarios we identified.

Try it and let us know.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
manxam
Enthusiast

The error still occurs. There's really no errors in the debug log besides:
Code:
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 43, in _synchronizer
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 749, in upload_books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 409, in _put_file
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/smart_device_app/driver.py", line 376, in _call_client
Is there anything else that I can provide you so that we can further debug this??
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

That error says that your Tab is disconnecting in the middle of sending a book. This is precisely the error that we (though we) fixed.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but did you install the updated app from google play?

Does the progress dialog (not the spinner, but the books transfer progress dialog with two progress lines) still show on the Tab when the error occurs? There is a problem where touching the screen while the progress dialog is showing will break the connection. Given the calibre error the progress dialog box should still be there.

Is it possible that the SD card on the Tab is full?

If you are willing, could you re-initialize the app? Go to settings, apps, Calibre Companion, and touch "Clear Data". This will erase all the books on the app that calibre companion has downloaded, as well as CCs book database. While in apps, could you verify that you have version 1.1? The version number will appear just below the "Calibre Companion" line at the top.

After having pushed the Clear Data button, start the app and connect to calibre. Transfer 4 or 5 books, not 100. If that works, then transfer 4 or 5 more. If that works, then transfer the same 8 to 10 books again. Let me know what happens.

NB: I have transferred 60+ books at once around 20 times to my Galaxy Nexus, so the problem isn't simply the number of books. Something else is going on.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
manxam
Enthusiast

Verified that I was running 1.1 and cleared Data. Just so you know but that does NOT remove the books as I previously found out. I went in using ES file explorer and deleted books manually.

Restarted the app, reconnected with Calibre, and pushed 4 books. The very FIRST book that was sent brought up the error. The tablet still shows:
Code:
Syncing with calibre
Receiving books from calibre
------
Receiving "Book Name Here..."
------
I get the same error in calibre as per usual.
The tablet is a 16gb device with 14gb free. I have also tried changing the storage to the external sd card which is also a 16gb but a fat32 formatted device but this does not affect anything.

Anything else to check?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
manxam
Enthusiast

As a note, there was an option to enable debugging for the wireless device as well in calibre and I enabled that as well but just ended up with a lot of extra data regarding the contents of the epubs that were transferred and no real data regarding the loss of connection besides the information posted above. I do have a copy of that log if you'd like it posted on paste bins or something.

Cheers
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxam View Post
I do have a copy of that log if you'd like it posted on paste bins or something.
Any logs you think are applicable can simply be added directly to a post and surrounded with spoiler tags (eye with red X through it).

Spoiler:
Hopefully this effort you are putting in will help others down the line.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-12-2012 at 11:43 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #11
manxam
Enthusiast

The debug log is 4.6M for 4 books so I think embedding it will be a little large? Thanks for the information though I'll keep it in mind for further (perhaps smaller) logs.

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The debug log is 4.6M for 4 books so I think embedding it will be a little large?
That is quite a handful. If needed you could always compress the log and attach the zip file to the post. Since the log is text it should compress to approximately 1/10 the original size.

Kudos to you for assisting in the beta testing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As a note, there was an option to enable debugging for the wireless device as well in calibre and I enabled that as well but just ended up with a lot of extra data regarding the contents of the epubs that were transferred and no real data regarding the loss of connection besides the information posted above. I do have a copy of that log if you'd like it posted on paste bins or something.

Cheers
Thanks for your help. I confess to being mystified.

First, could you post the complete "non-extra-info" log (the small version)? If you prefer, send it to me via private message. Clean-install the app again (sorry...), connect to calibre, and send more than one book. I would love to have the large version as well. Perhaps you could zip it and send it to "calibre_companion at charles dot haleys dot org", or by any other method you prefer.

Questions:
- you say in post 8 that it fails on the first book of 4, but you mention "books" (plural) in post 11. I am trying to determine when exactly the failure occurs. Does the progress bar show the name of the first book or the name of the second? Was only one book file put in the folder?
- did the Tab go to sleep during the transfer?
- when you restart CC after the failure, are any of the 4 books listed?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
manxam
Enthusiast

When I ad enabled the additional debugging I had restarted and attempted to send the same 4 books again which sent all 4 bug crashed on the 4th. The 4th shows as being there but is empty. The time that it crashed on sending the first book it showed as still sending the first book. When the application restarted the book APPEARED to be there but was empty besides cover. When it syncs back up with Calibre it will show that the book book that was stuck on screen as Syncing... as synched in Calibre but the contents of the file will be empty on the tablet besides showing the cover as stated above.

The tablet has yet do go to sleep during any of the transfers.

I'll recreate a lighter debug log for you now and send you the larger debug log created yesterday to your email.

Cheers
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
manxam
Enthusiast

Here's the small debug log. Sent 8 random sci-fi books. Failed at sending the 6th. While the 6th book according to Calibre companion and Calibre actually did sync, there are only 5 books in the books folder (using file explorer) but there are 6 covers in Calibre Companion.

Spoiler:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.64
Darwin-12.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Darwin
('Darwin', '12.0.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 12.0.0: Sun Jun 24 23:00:16 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.7.9~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.3
OSX: ('10.8', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Starting up...
SMART_DEV ( 0.00: 0.001) startup_on_demand try port 28293
SMART_DEV ( 1.04: 0.818) startup_on_demand listening on port 28293
Started up in 10.44 seconds with 275 books
SMART_DEV ( 19.78: 18.687) reset
SMART_DEV ( 19.81: 0.000) set_progress_reporter
SMART_DEV ( 19.84: 0.000) open
SMART_DEV ( 19.87: 0.002) _call_client GET_INITIALIZATION_INFO
SMART_DEV ( 20.07: 0.172) open selected formats [u'epub', u'mobi']
SMART_DEV ( 20.10: 0.000) card_prefix
SMART_DEV ( 20.18: 0.052) set_progress_reporter
Job: 1 Get device information started
SMART_DEV ( 20.21: 0.000) get_device_information
SMART_DEV ( 20.24: 0.001) _call_client GET_DEVICE_INFORMATION
SMART_DEV ( 20.32: 0.028) _call_client SET_CALIBRE_DEVICE_INFO
SMART_DEV ( 20.41: 0.057) card_prefix
SMART_DEV ( 20.45: 0.000) free_space
SMART_DEV ( 20.49: 0.001) _call_client FREE_SPACE
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
SMART_DEV ( 20.61: 0.090) set_progress_reporter
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
SMART_DEV ( 20.64: 0.000) books None
SMART_DEV ( 20.68: 0.002) _call_client GET_BOOK_COUNT
SMART_DEV ( 20.71: 0.007) books carda
SMART_DEV ( 20.75: 0.000) books cardb
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
SMART_DEV ( 20.79: 0.011) set_plugboards
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
SMART_DEV ( 20.95: 0.124) set_progress_reporter
Job: 3 Send metadata to device started
SMART_DEV ( 21.00: 0.002) sync_booklists collection attributes [u'']
DEBUG: 0.0 Starting get_collections: on_connect
DEBUG: 0.0 Renaming rules: {}
DEBUG: 0.0 Formatting template: {value}{category:| (|)}
DEBUG: 0.0 Sorting rules: []
SMART_DEV ( 21.07: 0.001) _call_client SEND_BOOKLISTS
SMART_DEV ( 21.14: 0.034) card_prefix
SMART_DEV ( 21.18: 0.000) free_space
SMART_DEV ( 21.21: 0.002) _call_client FREE_SPACE
DeviceJob: 3 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Job: 3 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
DeviceJob: 3 Send metadata to device callback returned
SMART_DEV ( 21.33: 0.083) _call_client NOOP
Job: 3 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
SMART_DEV ( 31.40: 10.032) _call_client NOOP
SMART_DEV ( 33.47: 2.033) set_progress_reporter
Job: 4 Upload 8 books to device:Eternity, The Venging, Vitals, The Wind From a Burning Woman: Six Stories of Science Fiction, Slant, Strength of Stones, Quantico, Queen of Angels started
SMART_DEV ( 33.49: 0.000) set_plugboards
Device using plugboard epub SMART_DEVICE_APP None
Setting metadata in: Eternity at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/vt5OkMcaltmpfmt.epub
Setting metadata in: The Venging at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/wi7dwhcaltmpfmt.epub
Setting metadata in: Vitals at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/RGI0sQcaltmpfmt.epub
Setting metadata in: The Wind From a Burning Woman: Six Stories of Science Fiction at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/2hEqSlcaltmpfmt.epub
Setting metadata in: Slant at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/lxUotccaltmpfmt.epub
Setting metadata in: Strength of Stones at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/5js5wEcaltmpfmt.epub
Device using plugboard epubControlError(None,)

SMART_DEVICE_APP None
Setting metadata in: Quantico at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/tS_qeMcaltmpfmt.epub
Setting metadata in: Queen of Angels at: /var/folders/p_/ydw8nrsd7jq1yvwr5kyzdzqh0000gn/T/calibre_0.8.64_tmp_ehwn_l/xShHz1caltmpfmt.epub
SMART_DEV ( 34.52: 0.990) upload_books [u'Eternity - Greg Bear_454.epub', u'The Venging - Greg Bear_449.epub', u'Vitals - Greg Bear_450.epub', u'The Wind From a Burning Woman_ Six Stories of Science Fiction - Greg Bear_451.epub', u'Slant - Greg Bear_447.epub', u'Strength of Stones - Greg Bear_448.epub', u'Quantico - Greg Bear_445.epub', u'Queen of Angels - Greg Bear_446.epub']
SMART_DEV ( 34.56: 0.005) _put_file Eternity - Greg Bear.epub 580027
SMART_DEV ( 35.86: 1.276) _call_client BOOK_DONE
SMART_DEV ( 35.91: 0.011) _put_file Venging, The - Greg Bear.epub 209977
SMART_DEV ( 36.36: 0.419) _call_client BOOK_DONE
SMART_DEV ( 36.40: 0.009) _put_file Vitals - Greg Bear.epub 330370
SMART_DEV ( 37.07: 0.635) _call_client BOOK_DONE
SMART_DEV ( 37.11: 0.010) _put_file Wind From a Burning Woman_ Six Stories of Science Fiction, The - Greg Bear.epub 227956
SMART_DEV ( 37.84: 0.698) _call_client BOOK_DONE
SMART_DEV ( 37.89: 0.010) _put_file Slant - Greg Bear.epub 389416
SMART_DEV ( 38.65: 0.735) _call_client BOOK_DONE
SMART_DEV ( 38.70: 0.010) _put_file Strength of Stones - Greg Bear.epub 202215
SMART_DEV ( 39.03: 0.298) _call_client device went away
DeviceJob: 4 Upload 8 books to device:Eternity, The Venging, Vitals, The Wind From a Burning Woman: Six Stories of Science Fiction, Slant, Strength of Stones, Quantico, Queen of Angels done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 4 Upload 8 books to device:Eternity, The Venging, Vitals, The Wind From a Burning Woman: Six Stories of Science Fiction, Slant, Strength of Stones, Quantico, Queen of Angels callback returned
SMART_DEV ( 39.08: 0.018) post_yank_cleanup
Job: 4 Upload 8 books to device:Eternity, The Venging, Vitals, The Wind From a Burning Woman: Six Stories of Science Fiction, Slant, Strength of Stones, Quantico, Queen of Angels finished
ControlError(None,)