Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Amazon adds Newsweek

It looks like Amazon has added a Kindle version of Newsweek although they don't list it under the magazine section:

http://tinyurl.com/28n958

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Thanks for the tip. I had tried "Time" and found it not only difficult to navigate, but just did not like the articles, so canceled it after two weeks.

I used to like "Newsweek" better, but gave it up due to the small type and my vision problem. Guess I'll give it a try for a week or two.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Wow, having second thoughts now. They charge $1.49 an issue, so 52 for a year would be $77.48 for the Kindle version, that has no charts, graphics or photos.

If you buy the paper edition from Amazon, you get 53 issues for $20, and that includes pictures. That is quite a discrepancy in cost.

Wassup, Amazon.com?

ETA: I knew the med I was taking was making me a bit fuzzy, and should account for this when reading anything. Going back, I now see the $1.49 is the MONTHLY charge. Sorry 'bout 'dat.

Last edited by KlondikeGeoff; 03-13-2008 at 01:31 PM.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
More charging for free content. They really should rename the Kindle to the Swindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Does it not have ads?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
More charging for free content. They really should rename the Kindle to the Swindle.
I guess it depends on your point of view. I used to run scripts to pull content to a desktop machine. I then had to format it and manually sync it with a portable device. With the Kindle I just subscribe and the content shows up ready to read. That is worth a couple of bucks a month to me.

Bob
Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
They're not charging for the content. They're charging for the service. Anytime you pay for an ebook or MP3, you're not paying for the content. It only takes a small amount of effort to find it free in the darknet. Instead, you're paying so you don't have to go looking for it. That is a service.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Does it not have ads?
I haven't subscribed to Newsweek but none of the newspapers or magazines I have subscribed to contain ads.

Bob
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They're not charging for the content. They're charging for the service. Anytime you pay for an ebook or MP3, you're not paying for the content. It only takes a small amount of effort to find it free in the darknet. Instead, you're paying so you don't have to go looking for it. That is a service.
Umm you dont have to find newsweek on the darknet, it's available for free online from newsweek.com. The amount of effort it takes to write code to convert that to an ebook is minimal and onetime. I have been reading newsweek for free, every week on my sony reader for a year, at the click of a button, and so have many other users of libprs500. So Amazon is charging you for saving you from the effort of clicking a button and connecting your reader to the computer, once a week. Like I said the Amazon Swindle.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Are they the same?

Have you ever picked up a paper copy, to compare content? I'd be curious to know if all the paper articles are available online. The paper version points to the web site, and mentions top articles -- which I haven't seen in the paper version. (Though since I read other sites online, sometimes I have seen the newsweek article via a link from somewhere else).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Newsweek makes its entire paper magazine available online, for instance see
http://www.newsweek.com/id/120176

In my experience there are typically more articles available online than on paper.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
So should the paper version of Newsweek be called Swindleweek since they charge for it? Is the newstand that sells the paper version really the swindlestand? Maybe it's just fun to say because Swindle rhymes with Kindle? Perhaps they should rename Sony to Baloney? What about all those classic novels available for free that are also available for purchase (and not just at Amazon but all bookstores paper based and electronic.) Didn't Sony even have a promotion giving away these classics? They could have called it the Sony Big Baloney Giveaway! BTW, you can access the Newsweek url you mention above for free right from the Kindle web browser. Some swindle! Maybe it's just a matter of offering choices and letting the consumer decide which one best suits them?

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 03-13-2008 at 07:07 PM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's reasonable to charge for a paper edition, since it costs a significant amount to produce/distribute one. It is not reasonable to sell someone else's freely available online content. And I regard SONY's selling classics as just as bad.

And that's the whole point, Amazon hasn't offered the choice to be able to download and convert Newsweek (or any other online news source) on my computer and then transfer it to my Kindle if I prefer that to paying for its delivery. And no I'm not implying SONY is any better.

And as for reading it online on the Kindle, you're kidding right?
- I'd be surprised if the website even rendered correctly
- I'd be even more surprised if Amazon continued to offer free wireless connectivity.
- I'd be positively astonished if any significant number of people actually use an e-ink screen to browse the web

So yes, it is the Amazon Swindle.

EDIT: And if it makes you feel better to call SONY Baloney, go right ahead. The Swindle is just so much more witty. :-P

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-13-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I see where you're coming from John. However there's a huge (in my opinion) difference between 1.49 an issue and 1.49 a month.

1.49 a month is 75p to me, which is well, a can of coke or something. Fire 75p on to a monthly subscription and I wouldn't mind at all.

What might be a better idea instead, is to package a whole lot of magazine/newspaper type things and sell it for 5 dollars a month. Sure, nobody is going to read them all, but a share of the 5 dollars is going to come out to a much larger amount than all the 1.49s.

Perhaps this better explains it. In the UK (and I imagine in the US) we pay a subscription fee to cable or satellite TV for a package of channels. Many of the channels we would never pay for, no matter what the monthly fee was if sold separately. However package them all together, and we're happy to a pay a low price for 50 of them. We're so happy in fact that hordes of us pay for the 50 of them together and the companies make more money than they would selling them separately.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
It's reasonable to charge for a paper edition, since it costs a significant amount to produce/distribute one. It is not reasonable to sell someone else's freely available online content. And I regard SONY's selling classics as just as bad.

And that's the whole point, Amazon hasn't offered the choice to be able to download and convert Newsweek (or any other online news source) on my computer and then transfer it to my Kindle if I prefer that to paying for its delivery. And no I'm not implying SONY is any better.
Yes, they did. Yes, you can. It's called Mobipocket Desktop Reader.

Can you get all the content from Newsweek.com? I don't know. But it's there, it's free, and it can sync to your Kindle (if you have Desktop 6.0).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote