Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
is there a calibre-type program for audio books ?

any suggestions for a calibre-equivalent which will manage audio books ( mp3, M4a, M4b) and radio plays / broadcasts please

anything but itunes! - I detest apple software but will look at any other ideas
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I use calibre.. what I do is compress my Audio books into a tar file and then treat it like a book..
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I use calibre.. what I do is compress my Audio books into a tar file and then treat it like a book..
I only have a few audio books, and I do the same. A few points I think are worth making:

1. Add the file via the GUI. Don't just copy it into the folder manually
2. If you're on Windows, you can use 7-Zip to create/open/extract tar files: http://www.7-zip.org/
3. Don't use zip files, as Calibre expects those to contain HTML
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

can you then use calibre's find/edit metadata tools, as for books ? I did not realise the calibre db accepted .tar as a valid "book" type !

Last edited by cybmole; 05-09-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
can you them use find/edit metadata tools, as for books ? I did not realise the calibre db accepted .tar as a valid "book" type !
Yes, you can use metadata, but you'll have to enter it manually.

Calibre doesn't recognise .tar files as a book type, so when you add the file you'll have to set the file type drop-down to "all files" so that the .tar file is shown in the file picker dialogue. TAR will be displayed as a file type in the tag browser, though.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I use my music program, www.mediamonkey.com, for my audiobooks, which works very well for the metadata and syncing with my portable player.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I added an extra custom column to my database, in which I can enter the format. If I also have an ebook version, I'll just update that one. If I don't own the ebook version, I'll add an empty entry.

I don't want those audiobooks in my library, as that'll take way too much room. But I do like to be able to keep track of which books I already have.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I added an extra custom column to my database, in which I can enter the format. If I also have an ebook version, I'll just update that one. If I don't own the ebook version, I'll add an empty entry.

I don't want those audiobooks in my library, as that'll take way too much room. But I do like to be able to keep track of which books I already have.
I am tempted to go with that solution. it seems logical to me that if I have both audio books & ebook versions of the same story, then I should track that via one database.

Databases which are designed for music albums ( like WMP) will create 100s of entries - one for each of the individual small mp3 chunks , & a book can have hundreds of those if it's been cut e.g. into 5 minute segments. That how my wife likes hers to be structured , for use in the car. as car stereos can't navigate within very long duration mp3 files.

are audiobooks uniquely identified by ISBN, same as written books ?

couuld calibre ( maybe with the aid of a plug in tweak) search amazon etc for metadata relating to audio books - like who the reader / actors are ?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I am tempted to go with that solution. it seems logical to me that if I have both audio books & ebook versions of the same story, then I should track that via one database.

Databases which are designed for music albums ( like WMP) will create 100s of entries - one for each of the individual small mp3 chunks , & a book can have hundreds of those if it's been cut e.g. into 5 minute segments. That how my wife likes hers to be structured , for use in the car. as car stereos can't navigate within very long duration mp3 files.

are audiobooks uniquely identified by ISBN, same as written books ?

couuld calibre ( maybe with the aid of a plug in tweak) search amazon etc for metadata relating to audio books - like who the reader / actors are ?
How about filing the Playlist (m3u file or other playlist type files)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How about filing the Playlist (m3u file or other playlist type files)
i find playlists too tedious to make, as I use a variety of players & each seems to have its own, non-interchangeable playlist format.

what I'm mostly after is the metadata info management e.g. who reads the book, when was it recorded, at what bit rate (quality), whats the overall length, can i have a neat cover picture.... can I find other audio books in same series, by same author... + the ability to tag, like I can with other books.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
i find playlists too tedious to make, as I use a variety of players & each seems to have its own, non-interchangeable playlist format.

what I'm mostly after is the metadata info management e.g. who reads the book, when was it recorded, at what bit rate (quality), whats the overall length, can i have a neat cover picture.... can I find other audio books in same series, by same author... + the ability to tag, like I can with other books.
Get VLC

I selected a folder with the audiobook files, right clicked: 'open with VLC'
VLC showed them in its playlist. Hit Stop
I adjusted the order (sort on Track, in my case)
File: Save Playlist, (chose a Name and one of 4 playlist types.
Must'a taken a minute
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Yes, a specific metadata source written to get that information could do omse of that. Right now the metadata plugins like Amazon specifically try to search for books and exclude/filter out audio books, cds, dvds etc. You could instead do a plugin that specifically only retrieved that information.

As for "other data", well there you may run into issues. I raised this topic on a thread in the developer forums quite a while ago, when talking about whether for instance a metadata plugin could retrieve the price for a book so a user could put it into a custom column. I don't think with the API as it stands for 0.8 that this is possible, as "merging" results only picks specific attributes that it is expecting to be present. So unless you want it all munged into the "comments" field I think you would be out of luck.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Get VLC

I selected a folder with the audiobook files, right clicked: 'open with VLC'
VLC showed them in its playlist. Hit Stop
I adjusted the order (sort on Track, in my case)
File: Save Playlist, (chose a Name and one of 4 playlist types.
Must'a taken a minute
drifting off topic here, but...
I have VLC, & zoom player, & WMP & sony readers & sony walkman each has its merits & its weaknesses for audio files.

e.g. VLC can't display album art from with MP3 tags, or lyrics ditto. , but it has skip back / forward n seconds ,and speeds of 0.9, 1.1x which WMP does not have. But WMP has a pretty good searchable library system, whereas VLCs attempt at a library system is a joke....

so I can e.g. go to WMP , make a playlist of all songs with "train" in the title. save it as a .wpl file. open it with VLC & splat... to make the same playlist in VLC would be painful as it's clueless when it comes to searching a big audio library. horses for courses I guess...

AFAIK, WMP can't read VLC play-lists & vice versa. For my Sony walkman you have to make the playlists one particular way or they don't copy over.... the sony e-reader can only play audio files set up in a single "album"... but you can use a goto slider within hour-long MP3s on the e-reader ( which you can't do on the walkman)

anyway the essential feature for audio books is "where did I get to" .the only format with good audio bookmarking is .m4b & apple have it so locked down so that non-apple gadgets cannot support it. So you have to resort to mp3 splitters & remember last ( small) file played.

using playlists as your database hook leaves you still having to manage where/how you file the actual audio book data, and playlists are prone to failing whenever you mess with your naming / filing conventions as they are not self-maintaining. I mess with mp3 files a lot using the excellent mp3tag freeware, so my playlists are forever going out-of-date.

Last edited by cybmole; 05-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
rwmcafee
Connoisseur
rwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it is

I'm interested in this subject too. As I have a large collection of Audible content audiobooks that I would like to find a comparable program to Calibre for all of the metadata on them.

I like the idea of using a blank entry and then populating it with the metadata. But, that would take a long time.

FYI, there are isbn numbers assigned to audiobooks too. So, you can look up the metadata that way.
rwmcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Hi, for Audio Books, and incidentally Music I use "Helium Music Manager", its like the mp3 version of Calibre.
I find it very useful for renaming the many music files you get in audio books, adding Book Art and Indexing. Can't remember how much it costs but there used to be a demo.

Just started using Calibre myself, so wondering how to integrate both audio and ebooks into one database, I think I may end up with a excel sheet just for reference
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote