Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
jollyblondgiant
jollyblondgiant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch K5
Problems with KTerm and USBNetworking [Touch][5.3.7.3]

Greetings, O Great Wizards and KindleMages:
I've been experiencing issues setting up my kindle as a raspi screen since June. Then, I was able to get set up with kterm and USBNetworking but couldn't resolve the ssh into the raspi. Last week i couldn't even ssh into my computer over USB from my kindle, nor into my raspi from my computer. I think it may have been an issue with the usb cable I was using (apparently some are only good for charging, not data?). In any case, I panicked and reset my device and then panicked some more. I have since re-installed the jailbreak and hotfix successfully.

I'm using a KT (B011 ...) running FW 5.3.7.3.

However, I'm having trouble installing KTerm or USBNetworking this time. When I launch KTerm from KUAL my kindle just returns to the home screen. I extracted the 'Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_touch_pw.bin' file from the 'USBNetwork Hack' archive on NiluJe's snapshots post. When I copy that file over to and then eject my kindle, the 'Update Your Kindle' option remains grey and the .bin file is gone. I've made sure to re-read the install readmes a few times, and I'm still at a loss.
jollyblondgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Triple-posting and PM'ing everyone won't help your case.

Reading the documentation, on the other hand, might. Specifically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Please note that all these packages can only be installed through MRPI (and I strongly recommend using a recent version ), *even* on legacy (<= K4) devices.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
jollyblondgiant
jollyblondgiant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch K5
I'm sorry for causing you any headaches with the PM, I didn't mean any disrespect.
I posted in the jailbreak thread because I thought it was pertient at first, but then created this thread because I was afraid I was being gauche posting at the end of a huge old thread. I realize I still messed up and for that I'm sorry.

I misunderstood that section of the documentation, as my device is not a 'legacy (<= k4)' nor is it FW>=5.5

I'll try the fix. thanks for clearing it up.
jollyblondgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, when in doubt, the lesser of evils is probably going to be "create a new thread" .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:29 PM   #5
ccat526
ccat526 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi! Sorry to reopen an old thread, but it's the only place I've found my problem mentioned. I followed the instructions on the kterm website (extract to extensions then run with KUAL) and it exits back to the home screen too. Are there any more verbose guides I can follow? Thanks!
ccat526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccat526 View Post
Hi! Sorry to reopen an old thread, but it's the only place I've found my problem mentioned. I followed the instructions on the kterm website (extract to extensions then run with KUAL) and it exits back to the home screen too. Are there any more verbose guides I can follow? Thanks!
Do you have USBnetwork enabled?

If so, log in and try to run
Code:
sh /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm.sh
and see what happens.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #7
ccat526
ccat526 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
Do you have USBnetwork enabled?

If so, log in and try to run
Code:
sh /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm.sh
and see what happens.
Lol I might be an idiot. All I needed to do was put everything in a folder inside extensions. Thanks for giving the whole file path, that’s what made it click
ccat526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:15 PM   #8
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccat526 View Post
Lol I might be an idiot. All I needed to do was put everything in a folder inside extensions. Thanks for giving the whole file path, that’s what made it click
Happens to the best of us. Glad you figured it out.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, kterm, touch, usbnetworking