Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #46
ratinox
Evangelist
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Oynx has a real store in China.
If so, their English sites do not indicate such, only hardware sales. Regardless, I could list a slew of others which only do hardware. Or just search for "cheap tablet" on Amazon and you'll find a bunch.

Quote:
Considering that most book reader apps are perfectly usable on an ancient version of Android like 4.4 from 2013 and most new android features are near useless on an eInk, non-phone device, I'm not sure how big an issue it really is.
The problem isn't reading functions. It's security. There are many known, easily exploited flaws and vulnerabilities in old versions which will never be fixed. So, for example, if you were to use the Amazon reader app to read books on one of these devices your Amazon account information would be at risk.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #47
salamanderjuice
Groupie
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
If so, their English sites do not indicate such, only hardware sales. Regardless, I could list a slew of others which only do hardware. Or just search for "cheap tablet" on Amazon and you'll find a bunch.

The problem isn't reading functions. It's security. There are many known, easily exploited flaws and vulnerabilities in old versions which will never be fixed. So, for example, if you were to use the Amazon reader app to read books on one of these devices your Amazon account information would be at risk.
Why would their English site bother mentioning that they have a book store in Chinese for Chinese books? It's very easy to see on the devices when you set the language to Chinese, you get a cart, you get professional looking books with prices and buy buttons, etc.

Amazon isn't offering security updates for old readers either.

Most Android phones are still lackluster with regards to updates too, and those probably have considerably more important information on them. I don't bank on my ereader, it's not linked to my two factor authentication etc. The damage is much more limited.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #48
ottischwenk
Guru
ottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
The problem only exists when you access the Internet via APN (eg. LTE), but not via WiFi.
Therefore, only smartphones or tablets with direct access are at risk.
Only these require Android security updates.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 10-17-2020 at 04:01 PM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #49
ratinox
Evangelist
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The problem only exists when you access the Internet via APN (eg. LTE), but not via WiFi.
Therefore, only smartphones or tablets with direct access are at risk.
Only these require Android security updates.
Outdated core security libraries, most notably OpenSSL, are vulnerable which means all traffic using them is vulnerable regardless of the physical network interfaces. All connected devices require security updates, and you don't reliably get them from the Chinese brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Why would their English site bother mentioning that they have a book store in Chinese for Chinese books? It's very easy to see on the devices when you set the language to Chinese, you get a cart, you get professional looking books with prices and buy buttons, etc.
Good to know. But that just makes me question the lack of consistent updates all the more.

Quote:
Amazon isn't offering security updates for old readers either.
Actually, Amazon do support their devices for many years after they go out of production. Likewise Kobo and Apple. Not so much the Chinese brands.

Quote:
Most Android phones are still lackluster with regards to updates too, and those probably have considerably more important information on them. I don't bank on my ereader, it's not linked to my two factor authentication etc. The damage is much more limited.
Absolutely. I'm not singling out the readers here. I'm accusing all of these companies and advising potential buyers to beware of what they're getting into.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #50
ottischwenk
Guru
ottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
Actually, Amazon do support their devices for many years after they go out of production. Likewise Kobo
Here only the applications are updated, not the underlying operating system and certainly not the security aspects.
And I don't care if any service reads which books I get from the cloud if I happen to be online.
In any case, I am not thinking of doing banking with an Android reader.
When it comes to security, you can also exaggerate.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 10-18-2020 at 01:35 PM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #51
tinkywinky666
tinkywinky666 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
An example of manga on the Nova 2https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0IGgZLKuGM5JIWIt looks great.
Thanks for that. Ideal option would be to show me 1st page of last Naruto manga (72?) to compare it with Libra & Forma.
You're right. Getting 9.7 - 10.3 could be perfect but if the thing with most of sources quality being poor is seriously real I will pass and get 6 or 7.8.

Wouldn't be so bitchy about screen comparison (said every 7.8 is nearly same) but today saw 1 device; same size but its quality way different - one more grey / second white (something like darker Libra vs whiter Forma as from my Naruto manga link). If I won't be able to determine other devices than Forma being same I'll have to get Forma..or risk with Onyx Poke 2 color (there's also Pocketbook color but the design ugh) huh

https://youtu.be/LAvJNzrVndA?t=21

Which I'm also considering:> A6X that is

>.<
tinkywinky666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkywinky666 View Post
Thanks for that. Ideal option would be to show me 1st page of last Naruto manga (72?) to compare it with Libra & Forma.
You're right. Getting 9.7 - 10.3 could be perfect but if the thing with most of sources quality being poor is seriously real I will pass and get 6 or 7.8.

Wouldn't be so bitchy about screen comparison (said every 7.8 is nearly same) but today saw 1 device; same size but its quality way different - one more grey / second white (something like darker Libra vs whiter Forma as from my Naruto manga link). If I won't be able to determine other devices than Forma being same I'll have to get Forma..or risk with Onyx Poke 2 color (there's also Pocketbook color but the design ugh) huh

https://youtu.be/LAvJNzrVndA?t=21

Which I'm also considering:> A6X that is

>.<
I suggest you forgo 6". It's too small. The text may not be all that readable. Go for the 8" Kobo Forma.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #53
tinkywinky666

xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you forgo 6". It's too small. The text may not be all that readable. Go for the 8" Kobo Forma.
They say, that color 6 is like 7.8 black/white due to new stuff but yeah I would go for Forma yet those damn buttons.......thus am searching for an alternative:
Onyx Nova / Kon-tiki , Ratta Supernote A6X - 3 of them got 7.8 (due to the fact that I didn't find 8" other than Forma) yet as shown in last video I posted, those panels can differ & the only way is to do Naruto page test to compare it 100%.....

Cheers
Old 10-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
No, a Color 6" is slightly poorer than a mono 6". AT BEST the color 6" is a dimmer version with rougher pixels than the same 300 dpi mono. No way is it even as good as 7" 300 dpi
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #55
tinkywinky666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, a Color 6" is slightly poorer than a mono 6". AT BEST the color 6" is a dimmer version with rougher pixels than the same 300 dpi mono. No way is it even as good as 7" 300 dpi
Interesting thing is that, while "6 inches sux" goodereader claims Pocketbook color being better than Onyx Poke 2 color - which I find funny at least coz due to specs right?

Also, as I can't determine the quality of Nova 1 or Kon - Tiki (my choice due to no stylus) , 2 or even 3! now ; Inkpad tea; Ratta Supernote A6X check some Onyx 6 inches even in comparison to Kobo Forma on the last Naruto manga 72 edition (only then one can see the difference) I must follow my instincts and get Likebook Mars - its manga quality, sd slot, microphone, headphone jack suits me. They even updated android to 8 dunno bout that if it is better or worse. Most important thing is that I found good supportive pictures.
https://bibox.vn/top-20-truyen-tranh...n-voi-tuoi-tho

Tho Likebook Muses seems to have Forma factor in terms of details but people bitch about the battery much.
https://bibox.vn/image/catalog/s%E1%...ok%20muses.jpg

Forma someday in the future, buttons hater for now.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #56
ratinox
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkywinky666 View Post
Forma someday in the future, buttons hater for now.
Buttons aren't required. Touch controls work the same on Forma as they do on other Kobo devices.