Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Greyed out on ALL and DOWNLOADED
Yet if you hold to see book properties and select Add to Collection, they exist and adding a book increases the count of books in a collection
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #32
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Greyed out on ALL and DOWNLOADED
Yet if you hold to see book properties and select Add to Collection, they exist and adding a book increases the count of books in a collection
Where are you seeing them greyed out? Do you have any of them downloaded to your device yet? If there are none downloaded to the device, then they will show as greyed out under the "Sort" list for both All and Downloaded. To download to device, tap on "Filter" and scroll to the bottom of the list and tap "collections". You will need to be showing "All" in order to use the Filter, if you are showing only Downloaded, the Collections item will be greyed out.

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 10-17-2020 at 10:17 AM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Home / Library page.

The ONLY place I can see collections at all, is if I select Add Book to Collection by holding on the title for the book menu.

The books are sideloaded/USB. They show up in DOWNLOADED

But I did have some from Amazon on the Kindle. They are still listed under ALL. I have no need to redownload them as I have them also via "Download via PC" and in Calibre.

In either case, before or after removal or addition of books, "Collections" is greyed out on Sort on ALL and DOWNLOADED tabs.
However you can add a book to a collection, then you see a list of all the Collections and how many titles are in each Collection.

I may log into Amazon directly and see what my Account has. Though it should be irrelevant.

I have a Kindle DXG and Kindle PW3 on the same account. Obviously only the PW3 has the 5.13.3

My Kindle Keyboard is on a separate account.

I've discovered a quite unrelated problem, nothing to do with firmware or the actual Kindle. That is that if a book is purchased and not downloaded, and the book is updated on Amazon, even weeks later if you do the download via the Kindle Sync, you get the older version. I think the Publisher has to actually manually contact Amazon KDP or downloads are ALWAYS the version as it was when purchased, even if updated before you first download. At least I hope this is just an Amazon KDP thing and not Firmware.

Smashwords always lets customers download the most recent version OR earlier ones, but no earlier than the version at time of purchase.

Also KDP isn't updating pages when a new book is added to a series. Again nothing to do with the Kindle Firmware, it's a KDP issue. They have to be told, look there's more. Also 10 Weeks to go and Ireland is still treated as a UK region on Amazon. Grrrr.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #34
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Home / Library page.

The ONLY place I can see collections at all, is if I select Add Book to Collection by holding on the title for the book menu.

The books are sideloaded/USB. They show up in DOWNLOADED

But I did have some from Amazon on the Kindle. They are still listed under ALL. I have no need to redownload them as I have them also via "Download via PC" and in Calibre.

In either case, before or after removal or addition of books, "Collections" is greyed out on Sort on ALL and DOWNLOADED tabs.
However you can add a book to a collection, then you see a list of all the Collections and how many titles are in each Collection.

I may log into Amazon directly and see what my Account has. Though it should be irrelevant.

I have a Kindle DXG and Kindle PW3 on the same account. Obviously only the PW3 has the 5.13.3

My Kindle Keyboard is on a separate account.

I've discovered a quite unrelated problem, nothing to do with firmware or the actual Kindle. That is that if a book is purchased and not downloaded, and the book is updated on Amazon, even weeks later if you do the download via the Kindle Sync, you get the older version. I think the Publisher has to actually manually contact Amazon KDP or downloads are ALWAYS the version as it was when purchased, even if updated before you first download. At least I hope this is just an Amazon KDP thing and not Firmware.

Smashwords always lets customers download the most recent version OR earlier ones, but no earlier than the version at time of purchase.

Also KDP isn't updating pages when a new book is added to a series. Again nothing to do with the Kindle Firmware, it's a KDP issue. They have to be told, look there's more. Also 10 Weeks to go and Ireland is still treated as a UK region on Amazon. Grrrr.
Have you looked under "Filter"? As I said in the other post, you need to scroll to the last item on the list under Filter to see Collections.

Also, I don't know what it looks like from the KDP end, but I can tell you that the books I buy from Amazon get updated regularly, and I am notified. I do have to click on "update available" from the My Content and Devices page in order to get the updated version, but that's only because I asked it not to automatically update the books...there is an option to have it done automatically, but I don't like that, as I want to know when a book is updated.

Shari

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_10_17T17_09_26-0300.png
Views:	92
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	182836  
Old 10-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #35
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Also, I don't know what it looks like from the KDP end, but I can tell you that the books I buy from Amazon get updated regularly, and I am notified.
The majority of updates made to Kindle books by publishers are not made available to those who already bought the book. Only in cases where the publisher can convince Amazon that the change was important enough will existing customers be offered the update. It is much easier for major publishers to accomplish that.

See the KDP help topic Send Updated eBook Content to Customers:

Quote:
You can change your eBook at any time and republish the updated version. Customers who bought your eBook before you changed it keep the original version. If you corrected serious errors in your eBook and want us to notify customers of your updates and send them the latest version, you need to contact us.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #36
Luminose
Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The majority of updates made to Kindle books by publishers are not made available to those who already bought the book. Only in cases where the publisher can convince Amazon that the change was important enough will existing customers be offered the update. It is much easier for major publishers to accomplish that.

I think you can go into your digital library on Amazon and push the updated version.
Luminose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
But not actually a change in the story/plot or character names, or anything like that. Important minor changes or else it's a different version. Which I agree with.

I did learn how to get Amazon to update existing customers. The wording of the request must be careful and I think it's possible they do some sort of check that you aren't misleading them.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Have you looked under "Filter"? As I said in the other post, you need to scroll to the last item on the list under Filter to see Collections.
I see Collections at the end of Filter and it's grey and claims (0).

It used to work.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #39
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm offered the opportunity to update to a new (revised) edition via Manage My Content and Devices at my Amazon account.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #40
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
I see Collections at the end of Filter and it's grey and claims (0).

It used to work.
Are you set to "All" when you're viewing it, or "Downloaded"?

Shari
Old 10-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I've looked at ALL and DOWNLOADED, as per an earlier post.
The Collection feature on newer Kindles is poor anyway compared to Kobo + Calibre. I'm glad I only have the three Kindles for testing and do my everyday reading and annotations on a Kobo.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I've looked on my Amazon Account. Nothing strange there. It also has the Collections and numbers of titles in them, though the numbers of titles don't match the PW3 collections.
The actual number of Collections on the Web Site is many times what the DXG has. It of course has a completely different way of managing and displaying collections, though it works.

I switched between ALL and DOWNLOADED and Ticked and Unticked Books in Filter and suddenly there are now 13 Collections in ALL Filter menu, but greyed out still on Sort.
No Collections on either Menu when DOWNLOADED is selected

It seems it doesn't recognise locally added books as being in the Collections. I have ONLY locally added books on the Kindle. I can Add a local book to a Collection and the Title count goes up.
But it's not affecting the Title count on the ALL tab with Collections Listed. Only the books on the Amazon Account library are counted.

So Collections are now useless for locally added books. Which is 99% of my books as many are old PD classics or ones we publish.

I've zero interest in Downloading via WiFi. All the books I buy from Amazon are Downloaded to PC and transferred by USB (sideloaded). Apart from the fact I had to select , unselect and select in ALL - Filter to get Collections to show at all, they now only give the Books you COULD download via WiFi /Whispernet. The SAME book transferred locally is ALSO showing up as one that needs to be downloaded.

The Cloud stuff has gone a step too far. I do not want a Terminal to Amazon's Server.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Switching from ALL to DOWNLOADED even after a Sync and after manually adding local books to a Collection.

Selection Collections in Filter on All. They show, but without local title count.
Change to Downloaded
Showing: Collections X

You have no items that match the selected filters. Clear
the filters or switch to All view to download Items.

If I create a NEW Collection it works on the DOWNLOADED tab.

So all the existing collections before upgrade are now useless for local books. You can add local books to them, but they only show up under ALL and on Home screen behave as if ONLY the books on Amazon are in them.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-18-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: It's broken
Old 10-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

And rechecking a Collection on Amazon 26 Titles
Under ALL on the Kindle 3 Titles on that SAME collection.
If I go to Add Title to Collection on DOWNLOADED (a STUPID name as it includes USB local transfer aka Sideload) the SAME Collection has 5 Titles, and won't list at all under DOWNLOADED, only the brand new collection lists.

Factory Reset and re-register? I did a reboot twice. No change.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:

So if an eBook is updated but not pushed as an update to owners of the eBook, downloading again will just get the non-updated version. Is this correct?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote