Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
This is some excellent information. Fbone, would you mind adding it to the Wiki or if one of us added it to it? We have a page dedicated to e-book lending libraries:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
I wouldnt mind someone adding it to the wiki.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #32
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Hey folks, I'm going to go ahead and start making some updates to the wiki. I've experimented so far by adding 3 entries for North Carolina (Wake County, Charlotte-Mecklenburg, and NC Digital) so now I'll branch out and update some of the entries from this thread. If anyone has any specific suggestions, let me know.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #33
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
This is a fabulous amount of work. Thank you.

My only reminder would be that numbers aren't everything. Every library's selection is slightly different, and so is their traffic. I have cards for both Buffalo and New York.

New York's collection is far larger. But it is more esoteric and young adult-oriented, and has lots of Mobi and PDF, with less ePub. And nearly every newish book has a waiting list of 20-40+

Buffalo's collection is significantly smaller, but it has a larger selection of new books being added regularly, many are "popular" in their genres, and waiting lists, if it all, are 2-5 people. And it tends to focus more on ePub, less on PDF, and no Mobi.
Does Buffalo give out cards to non-residents? I lived up there years ago, and am visiting next week. Would love another ebook source.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Does Buffalo give out cards to non-residents? I lived up there years ago, and am visiting next week. Would love another ebook source.
Website only mentions residents of New York State for $20 / 6 months.

http://www.buffalolib.org/borrowerin....asp#other_non

They do have 2257 titles.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #35
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone wants to take a look, I've made some changes to the wiki. Fbone's lists have been added to the additional information section (largest collections, cards by mail). I've also updated some of the individual library entries (a few more to change) and I've added new entries for: NC (Wake, Charlotte, NC Digitial), Indianapolis-Marion County, Orange County Florida, Virginia Beach, and Metropolitan (Oklahoma City).
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #36
kbrand
Enthusiast
kbrand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Colorado Springs, CO - Pikes Peak Regional Library

epub-469
pdf-1746
mp3-473
wma-2176
and it grows each week. Not bad for a town of about 400,000

Douglas County (Denver Suburb)
epub-857
pdf-195
mp3-1015
wma-2945
population:300,000

Denver Public Library
epub-667
pdf-3484
mp3-877
wma-4602
population:2,500,000

I wonder why a library chooses one format over another?

Last edited by kbrand; 08-05-2010 at 12:21 PM.
kbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #37
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
If anyone wants to take a look, I've made some changes to the wiki. Fbone's lists have been added to the additional information section (largest collections, cards by mail). I've also updated some of the individual library entries (a few more to change) and I've added new entries for: NC (Wake, Charlotte, NC Digitial), Indianapolis-Marion County, Orange County Florida, Virginia Beach, and Metropolitan (Oklahoma City).
Thank you very much.

I have emailed several libraries (except Orange County) on the largest collection list to see if they will offer a card to out-of-state individuals. All who responded have said no they cannot due to licensing agreements with their download services. I am hesitant to contact Overdrive for confirmation as this may alert them as to those who do so possibly against their contractual agreements. This may be the reason New York Public Library stopped their non-resident provision.

Last edited by Fbone; 08-05-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #38
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
10. Brooklyn Public 6491
11. British Columbia 6320
12. Los Angeles Public 6288
I'm seeing 7313 now for the joint B.C. public libraries collection. 5095 of these are in English.

I don't know about non-resident cards by mail. There are quite a few public libraries in the province sharing this collection, and each has its own lending policies.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #39
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I'm seeing 7313 now for the joint B.C. public libraries collection. 5095 of these are in English.

I don't know about non-resident cards by mail. There are quite a few public libraries in the province sharing this collection, and each has its own lending policies.
Yes, libraries seem to add to their collections around the beginning of the month. Perhaps, next week I'll update the numbers.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #40
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Around the SF Bay Area. All of these libraries will issue for CA residents in person.

Santa Clara County Library:
epub: 848 (july 833)
pdf: 952

Northern California Digital Library:
epub: 33
pdf: 1747
mobi: 279

San Jose Library:
epub: 947 (july 817)
pdf: 3718
mobi: 867

San Francisco Public Library:
epub: 2811 (july 2793)
pdf: 1389
mobi: 381

Edit: some figures for Socal:

Los Angeles Public Library
epub: 3146
pdf: 2918
mobi: 243

Los Angeles County Public Library
epub: 1122
pdf: 295

Last edited by jashsu; 08-06-2010 at 09:12 PM.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #41
texasnightowl
Guru

Well, this is a good sign. Wake County, who just launched monday with 154 titles added another 27 titles on Friday for a total of 181. And it is amazing the response the program has gotten. A large percentage of the titles are completely checked out so you must place a hold to get on the list! So hopefully the response will be noticed and we will continue getting more titles!

Update: of the 181 total titles, only 37 have copies immediately available for checkout. The other 144 have all copies checked out. I find that pretty amazing.

Last edited by texasnightowl; 08-08-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Updating with numbers
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #42
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

I updated the list to see if any titles were added last week. As you can see many were added and some removed (?). Not sure if this is a website/Overdrive error or the books were deleted from inventory. Perhaps, some titles were temporary or leased?

I discovered Lee County Florida has a large selection. Fort Myers and Cape Coral would be two towns in Lee County.

Last edited by Fbone; 08-10-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #43
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
No numbers to add to the wiki yet, but Atlanta is poised to get Overdrive. From the Atlanta/Fulton County Public Library website:

Quote:
Overdrive, a popular e-Book and e-Audiobook service, has been acquired for the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System. Overdrive will launch on August 18, 2010, after 10a.m. and will feature bestsellers and popular titles in various downloadable formats, including iPod, MP3 and other mobile devices. Be sure to log on and download, burn to CD, transfer to a mobile device, place title on hold, or simply listen to or read directly from your PC!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #44
texasnightowl
Guru

OK, I've updated the list in the wiki.

We can add Atlanta when it premieres and we have a title count.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #45
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
TRAC (The Regional Automation Consortium) library system covers northern Alberta and some areas in the southern part of the province excluding the 2 major cities. They just started carrying ebooks last year. Since March the number of ebooks more than doubled. Now they have 745 of which 587 are fiction. The majority is in epub format.

I don't think that's wiki worthy yet but better than nothing.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote