Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Second Hiroshima. Hope that Ed Asner version isn't too steep.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hmmm... not too bad for an audiobook. $14.95 for us non-members, but if we join, we can get it for only $14.95!
Advert
Old 08-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm... not too bad for an audiobook. $14.95 for us non-members, but if we join, we can get it for only $14.95!
Yeah, I'm a bit torn about which one to get. I know Guidall is an excellent reader, and normally I'd just go with him. But Ed Asner? Tempting.
(BTW, I'm showing a member price of $6.95 for the Asner version. Pretty reasonable, and definitely not something I'll need to use a credit on.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yeah, I'm a bit torn about which one to get. I know Guidall is an excellent reader, and normally I'd just go with him. But Ed Asner? Tempting.
(BTW, I'm showing a member price of $6.95 for the Asner version. Pretty reasonable, and definitely not something I'll need to use a credit on.)
$6.95? Are you a member? Here in the U.S. I'm seeing $14.95 for both members and non-members.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm a US member, and that's what it's showing as a US price for members.

(I don't think it shows the right price until you actually ARE a member.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audible.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	151126  

Last edited by CRussel; 08-22-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Advert
Old 08-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Strange. On everything else at audible I see a member's price and everyone else's price. But on this one I see:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audible001.PNG
Views:	232
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	151128  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I nominate Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (AKA The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up AKA Peter and Wendy).

Quote:
One magical night, the Darling children — Wendy, John, and Michael — are visited by two mischievous denizens of Neverland, an island of the imagination where pirates prowl the Mermaids’ Lagoon and fairies live so long as children believe in them. Peter Pan and his loyal, lightning-quick companion, Tinker Bell, have come for Peter’s shadow, captured the previous night by Nana, the children’s Newfoundland nanny. The pair leaves not just with the shadow, but with Wendy and her brothers, as well, whisking them away to Neverland to join the Lost Boys in their war against the evil Captain Hook.

J. M. Barrie created the character of Peter Pan to entertain a young family he regularly met in Kensington Gardens. Over the course of two novels and a play, he turned a whimsical idea into one of the most cherished literary characters of all time.
Goodreads | Patricia Clark Memorial Library: ePub / Kindle | Amazon US / Amazon US (Restored) / Barnes & Noble / Kobo US
Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

It's be six months, so once again I nominate The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. This is a fortuitous day for anyone who wishes to read it, for as of today, it is a Whispersync deal of the month that will cost you exactly nothing.

We've seen the musical, and a few of us have be fortunate enough to have seen the silent classic starring the "man of a thousand faces" Lon Cheney in the title role, but how many of us have read the original?

Quote:
From Goodreads:

First published in French as a serial in 1909, "The Phantom of the Opera" is a riveting story that revolves around the young, Swedish Christine Daaé. Her father, a famous musician, dies, and she is raised in the Paris Opera House with his dying promise of a protective angel of music to guide her. After a time at the opera house, she begins hearing a voice, who eventually teaches her how to sing beautifully. All goes well until Christine's childhood friend Raoul comes to visit his parents, who are patrons of the opera, and he sees Christine when she begins successfully singing on the stage. The voice, who is the deformed, murderous 'ghost' of the opera house named Erik, however, grows violent in his terrible jealousy, until Christine suddenly disappears. The phantom is in love, but it can only spell disaster. Leroux's work, with characters ranging from the spoiled prima donna Carlotta to the mysterious Persian from Erik's past, has been immortalized by memorable adaptations. Despite this, it remains a remarkable piece of Gothic horror literature in and of itself, deeper and darker than any version that follows.
Patricia Clark Memorial Library: ePub / Kindle | Amazon US
Old 08-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hmmm. Both of those are certainly classics, Tom. I'm just not sure I want to read either _right now_. And I've only got one vote left. Though I suspect I'll grab that WhisperSync deal in case my mood changes.

Last edited by CRussel; 08-26-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: mood, not mode
Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Come on people. Do you want a moldy oldy or do you want a fun read? If you want a fun read, give a nod to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)

No interest, Jon. It's one of only two books so far that I would not read. I don't quibble that it's a classic. Just not my classic.

How about nominating a classic SF novel? Surely there are some you fondly remember.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #27
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
No interest, Jon. It's one of only two books so far that I would not read. I don't quibble that it's a classic. Just not my classic.

How about nominating a classic SF novel? Surely there are some you fondly remember.
You don't say! I would like to nominate 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke. I have been meaning to read this since we had science month in the book club.
Spoiler:
Arthur C. Clarke has been the presiding genius of science fiction for almost fifty years. His works include the ground-breaking and profound CHILDHOOD'S END, RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA and EXPEDITION TO EARTH. Written when landing on the moon was still a dream, made into one of the most influential films of our century, brilliant, compulsive, prophetic, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY tackles the enduring theme of man's place in the universe.On the moon an enigma is uncovered. So great are the implications that, for the first time, men are sent out deep into the solar system. But, before they can reach their destination, things begin to go wrong, horribly wrong

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/2001-Odysse...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/2001-Odyssey-...2074366&sr=8-3
Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...1-26eeaf82eb52
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #28
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Damn! I want to read them all. How do I decide
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Damn! I want to read them all. How do I decide
Well, you start by giving Hiroshima its third.

Seriously, folks. This is perhaps the finest piece of journalism ever written. For the only time in its history, The New Yorker devoted its entire issue to a single article. The initial print run sold out in hours, and they allowed pretty much anyone and everyone to reprint the article. John Hersey took a different tack from other writers of the time and told the story of the people, the survivors, in a way that was far more compelling than just the myriad details of the devastation had been. This book hasn't been out of print since it was written in 1946, and this is the 70th Anniversary of its publication. It's short - Novella length at ~100 pages. And while I don't think it will be a "fun" read, I do think it will be an interesting and provocative one.

Last edited by CRussel; 08-24-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
din155
Guru

Quote:
Well, you start by giving Hiroshima its third.
It is a very compelling book. Oh what the heck! I third Hiroshima.
now its Peter Pan v/s Charlie and the chocolate factory.