Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Thumbs down Tools for debugging javascript ...?

Hi!
Maybe someone here can tell me if he knows a program/plugin for simple debugging of javascript code?
I am not looking for a complete framework or a development environment but something that alerts me when I forgot a bracket or use "illegal" characters.

I am tinkering with some smaller projects (DictioLauncher, improved Sudoku & other games) but am no prof. programmer. I mainly use BBedit which at least highlights some expressions... I work/play on an older iBook but have a windows emulator on board.

Thanx for any suggestions!!!
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
If you can run Javascript live on your PC, I recommend the Firebug extension for Firefox. Works very well for debugging and profiling Javascript. Plus it's free. More here:

http://www.getfirebug.com/js.html
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Hi!
Maybe someone here can tell me if he knows a program/plugin for simple debugging of javascript code?
Antother tool, but it is basically a full blown IDe also is Aptana... www.aptana.com. It is based on Eclipse, open source and runs on Win, Mac and Linux.

But, for what you are wanting firebug www.getfirebug.com might be the better choice.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thumbs up

Hi!
thanx Alexander and Pilotbob for your suggestions!
I'll see into firebug as soon as I found out if that's available for MacOS 9x...

For now I found a "Javascript verifier" called "JSLint" by douglas crockford; that's (just so) enough for my humble needs though not very comfortable. I found that at

http://www.jslint.com/lint.html.

Now I hope there's available a firefox for older macs. (I CAN run OS 10.4 but rather will notwith my old maschine...)
Old 05-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Hi!
thanx Alexander and Pilotbob for your suggestions!
I'll see into firebug as soon as I found out if that's available for MacOS 9x...
Firebug is a FireFox add-in. So, if Firefox 2.x will run on you Mac the firebug will.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
All those are useless, since Javascript used in Reader is not the one used in browsers. You would need a debugger made especially for Reader, and I doubt Sony is going to make one available.
Gotta stick to the old techniques - debug prints everywhere
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Firebug is a FireFox add-in. So, if Firefox 2.x will run on you Mac the firebug will.
Well, to my grief my old MacOS 9 does not support Firefox (rather: vice versa).
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
All those are useless, since Javascript used in Reader is not the one used in browsers. You would need a debugger made especially for Reader, and I doubt Sony is going to make one available.
As I simply want a SIMPLE debug tool, I'll have to stick to JSLint for now. igorsk is right of course.
JSLint only will find obvious faults like forgotten (or accidentily removed) brackets. But these can be VERY much trouble in my experience.