Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Hamilton Burger
Hamilton Burger began at the beginning.

Device: Windows and iOS apps
Viewer—keyboard shortcut for bookmarks?

Am I missing a "bookmark here" command that can be used while reading, without having to display and click on/activate the bookmark panel? And if such a command exists, what is its keyboard shortcut?

The bookmark panel is great when you want to carefully study a text. But when I'm focused on reading but come across something that I just want to mark on the fly for possible future review, displaying and switching to the bookmarks panel interrupts that focus unnecessarily. And the panel takes up too much room on the screen when the only reason you're keeping it open is just in case you want to drop a bookmark (even then you still have to click the panel before you can add a new bookmark).

I do see that a shortcut was recently added for adding new bookmarks (see https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...09365fdfd589aa). But Ctl+alt+b only works when the bookmarks panel has the focus, correct?

So, I'd like to be able to hit a hotkey to drop a bookmark immediately, without opening the bookmarks panel. Please let me know what the magic keys are, if I've missed that command somehow.
Hamilton Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Burger View Post
Am I missing a "bookmark here" command that can be used while reading, without having to display and click on/activate the bookmark panel? And if such a command exists, what is its keyboard shortcut?

The bookmark panel is great when you want to carefully study a text. But when I'm focused on reading but come across something that I just want to mark on the fly for possible future review, displaying and switching to the bookmarks panel interrupts that focus unnecessarily. And the panel takes up too much room on the screen when the only reason you're keeping it open is just in case you want to drop a bookmark (even then you still have to click the panel before you can add a new bookmark).

I do see that a shortcut was recently added for adding new bookmarks (see https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...09365fdfd589aa). But Ctl+alt+b only works when the bookmarks panel has the focus, correct?

So, I'd like to be able to hit a hotkey to drop a bookmark immediately, without opening the bookmarks panel. Please let me know what the magic keys are, if I've missed that command somehow.
Ctl+alt+b works.

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-07-06 11-25-45.png
Views:	241
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	180439  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it works everywhere and can be changed in the viewer preferences under keyboard shortcuts
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
Hamilton Burger

Weird, it doesn't work for me (Windows 10). Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

I can't offer a screenshot showing that nothing appears when I press the combo but that is my situation.

I am on 4.20 and I do get the little "Add bookmark" box when I press Ctl+Alt+b after clicking on the Bookmarks panel.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Hamilton Burger

UPDATE: I guess this may be a (minor) bug then: I tried multiple times again with no response to Ctl+Alt+b except when the Bookmarks panel was active. Based on your clarity that it should work I next went into the viewer preferences -> keyboard shortcuts, deleted the existing shortcut, and then recreated it. That's all I did, but it worked. Thanks for the push to keep trying.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #6
minsik
minsik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O revision 5.
Nice work on Calibre by the way.
Is there a way to add a bookmark without displaying any onscreen display at all?
I can redefine the add bookmark key to "b" but it still brings up the add bookmark display then need to press enter.

However the ideal for me is just like the kobo ereader. b to add a bookmark which is shown as a visible dog ear in the top right corner and b on that page to cancel any created bookmark on that page. That might also work on a touchscreen, in the top right hand corner (when now it seems to open the options menu) maybe another way is make it as a header/footer option. any bookmark on that page shows a dogear if selected in the top footer section , for instance. (not impinging on page area.)

so put another way, add a visible indication to a page when a bookmark exists on that page, and easily add/delete and visual indication to see the dogear pop up and disapear. Then minimises keystokes/interaction to ge tthe job done. simpleeeezzz.
Wot say u?

Last edited by minsik; 03-13-2021 at 08:42 PM.
minsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorry I dont much like dogs or their ears Or more seriously I dont want a visible indication of there being a bookmark on a apge as implementing this is fairly performance intensive and not that useful. What is the point of knowing there is already a bookmark at a particular location? And what if there are multiple bookmarks?

As for creating a bookmark in one step, press ctrl+alt+b
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #8
minsik
minsik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O revision 5.
thanks for the consideration and information.
Obviously i had no idea it would be difficult, good work on the existing feature then.
minsik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookmarks, keyboard shortcuts, viewer