Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
booklover3
booklover3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 505
Thanks for the responses. I will keep my eyes out for the Sony PRS 650. I do like the PRS 550 so the 650 may be a good option. I am also going to check reviews for Kindle 3 and consider the Nook. So many choices...
booklover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have arthritis in my fingers and they get cramped up all the time. I don't have this problem with the Nook. I usually use the page swipe, but sometimes I use the buttons. Now just because it doesn't bother me doesn't mean it won't bother you. You could always try a Nook and then return it withing the 14 days if you don't like it. Then you can order the Kindle if the Nook doesn't work out.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I did a bit of poking around and couldn't find any rumors that made it seem more compelling than the Nook. What have you heard?
Touch screen with no touch layer, better contrast (Pearl screen), revised UI, maybe wifi and/or 3G, attractive price (thinking competitive price), and no LCD to drain extra battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I'm a K2 owner. I dropped by B&N the other day and tried out a nook. It is much more comfortable on the hands than the K2. The K3 is smaller, with smaller buttons, so the nook will be that much better.

For everything else, I prefer the Kindles though.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new Sony Reader PRS-650 should be better then the nook if all the rumors are true. It will have no touch layer but still a touch screen and it will be using a Pearl screen. So besides being better on the fingers, the 650 might also be better on the eyes.
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would avoid the K3 if you have "finger trouble". Its 5-way navigational control is very small and awkward to use if you have large fingers. Not an issue for actual reading, but you have to use it for things like opening a book, looking up a word in the dictionary, and so on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Pocketbook ...

either ;
touch screen finger swipe or
the reader hack that lets you turn the page with a subtle turn of the wrist !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Pocketbook ...

either ;
touch screen finger swipe or
the reader hack that lets you turn the page with a subtle turn of the wrist !
So then it's harder on the wrist. So the next thread willbe which reader is easier on the wrist.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So then it's harder on the wrist. So the next thread willbe which reader is easier on the wrist.
okay so just place the PB on the rest (or whatever) and twitch it !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It is official. The new Sony Readers are the easiest on the fingers. Easier then the nook and K3.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #26
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is official. The new Sony Readers are the easiest on the fingers. Easier then the nook and K3.
Shouldn't we wait until someone actually has one to play with for a while? I mean I have only played with it in a store, but the touch screen on the Nook is not very hard on the fingers... at least when turning pages.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
booklover3

Very exciting to hear about the new Sony eReaders, esp. since I am a pretty happy PRS 505 user (except for the page turning buttons). I am definitely going to wait and see if the 650 is as good as I hope. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Shouldn't we wait until someone actually has one to play with for a while? I mean I have only played with it in a store, but the touch screen on the Nook is not very hard on the fingers... at least when turning pages.

--
Bill
I've used a 600 and the 650 is said to be even easier/more responsive to use. And if the page turn button is the same or similar, it is a lot easier to use then the buttons on a 505. But if Sony has a 650 for display at the Sonystyle store on Friday, I'll go and try it out.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover3 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will keep my eyes out for the Sony PRS 650. I do like the PRS 550 so the 650 may be a good option. I am also going to check reviews for Kindle 3 and consider the Nook. So many choices...
I recently tried the 650 and it is even easier to turn pages then the 600. It requires a very slight flick. A lot less of a flick then the video on Sonystyle.

Also, because there is no touch layer, fingerprints do not really show up as they would on a 600. That is very good. The demo 650 was not all covered and hard to see. Try an iPad after some use and you will see it covered.

So really, I do think that the new Sony Readers are easiest to turn the pages of any other ink based reader.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #30
booklover3

Thank you everyone for your input, I am the owner of a new Sony PRS 650 and I could not be happier. The page swipes are so easy on the fingers and super fast and the screen/contrast are improved over my old PRS 505. It makes my PRS 505 look like a dinosaur.