Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Strange Cybook Glitch - Half-Page Turn

Help!
My Cybook has been doing something odd for the last week - every so often when I hit page turn it 'turns' the bottom half of the screen, but not the top.
It's happened on different books (including the Robin Hood and Shadow Witch that I got right here) so I don't think it's the files per se.
If I turn the page forward and then back again it 'fixes' itself (though not usually if I go back then forward) and sometimes if I try to add a bookmark.
I wasn't sure how to do a 'full' reset but I reflashed the latest firmware to my Cybook and also reformatted my SD Card (although I then restored the files (books) that were previously on it back).
It's happening frequently but intermittently, with no apparent pattern. It's more frustrating than anything else since it keeps interrupting my 'flow'.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks,
Mindy
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like an intermittent glitch with the display controller, perhaps?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
You should contact bookeen with a photo of the problem, I'm pretty sure they will ask you to in the device.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Looks like too to be a hardware failure...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks guys.
I have emailed Bookeen - they responded asking for my serial number then advised me to reflash the firmware. I pointed out that I had already done that, politely requested that they read my entire email detailing all the steps I'd already taken, and have yet to hear back.
I'm sure I was polite......
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
hmls
Enthusiast
hmls began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Mindy,

Did you ever solve this problem? It sounds like my Cybook is doing the exact same thing and seems to be getting worse. How old is yours? I have had mine since March 2008 so it is out of warranty (of course). I am really hoping this isn't the end of my Cybook because there isn't anything out yet that I would want to replace it with and I am reluctant to buy from Bookeen again.

Heather
hmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Unfortunately not. Bookeen just asked me to return the device and sent me out a new one - I'm not sure if they even investigated the problem given the prompt turnaround, and they didn't provide me with any subsequent information or feedback.

(On a sidenote, there was also a problem with the replacement device (it wouldn't connect to a computer, so I could read stuff by adding it onto SD card but it wouldn't save any new settings and had issues with bookmarks sometimes) which they were also unable to provide a remote solution for and requested return of but which, unfortunately, they did not replace as quickly - I spent almost a month waiting for a new device, added to the time I had spent with non-working devices prior to that.)

Mine was still under warranty (just) - I got it last July (2008) so it's past the year mark now (although I'm now also technically onto my 3rd device LOL). I haven't been best pleased with the whole debacle, but I do still love my Cybook and think it's prettier than the Sony or the others. I probably couldn't have afforded to have bought a new device right away anyway but if I had, given all the faff around geographic restrictions with .prc books, I don't know if it would be an easy decision for me, but I think that would be based on book availability and remoteness of support rather than on the device itself - I think you could run into technical problems with anything you opt for given other threads I've seen, so I guess it's just a case of deciding what you're priorities are if you do decide to cut your losses and go new.

I hope you get it sorted though!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Unfortunately not. Bookeen just asked me to return the device and sent me out a new one - I'm not sure if they even investigated the problem given the prompt turnaround, and they didn't provide me with any subsequent information or feedback.

Mine was still under warranty (just) - I got it last July (2008) so it's past the year mark now (although I'm now also technically onto my 3rd device LOL).
Sorry- but, living in Scotland, aren't you covered by the two-years minimum EU warranty? The second year- at least in places in Europe I've been living into these last years- you might be obliged to contact directly the producer/an assistance center instead of the shop you bought the device from, but they shouldn't ask you anything. Happened to a razr just this side of the two years marks and they didn't ask me a cent.

Just my two pennies- and I'm very happy it turned out well for you, Mindy!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post

they did the same for me, but it is very annoying that they could'nt be bother to say what was wrong - as though they didn't know ......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Defect like this are always due to a defective screen. Not necessarily a broken screen, but it's only the screen that is defective. Are you sure that Bookeen send you a new device, not just the same device with a new screen? If they send you a new device, it that because they detect another problem that could not be repair. But the case of "defective display controler" is really rare as far as I known. If you look at an eInk screen without the housing you will see four little "bar" on two of the edge of the screen.
If the receive a hit of been bend they could break and led to problem like you seen. the eInk screen is really fragile...
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
if the PID has changed it's a new device ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
But the case of "defective display controler" is really rare as far as I known.
Well, people have reported broken controllers here. I would guess it is at least 10. I have had one myself and they just sent a new device without telling me about it. This was extremely irritating since I was not prepared that fedex people would deliver something so I slept when they arrived.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #13
Godzil

But who say them it's a "broken controler" ? (and the little white bar I speake before are too called driver/controller so they may misunderstand)

You were receiving somthing without getting a mail ? I doubt about this, to send something with fedex you need to give information on the receiver, like you could put the email, and when you send something, the fedex application automaticaly send a mail about the delivry...
Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
But who say them it's a "broken controler" ? (and the little white bar I speake before are too called driver/controller so they may misunderstand)
Bookeen told me that was the problem (broken display chip) with my Cybook after they had seen photographs.

Quote:
You were receiving somthing without getting a mail ? I doubt about this, to send something with fedex you need to give information on the receiver, like you could put the email, and when you send something, the fedex application automaticaly send a mail about the delivry...
Well, I do not lie. I did not get any email from Bookeen or from Fedex. I would have expected Bookeen to have sent me an email telling what they did with my unit. If they were going to fix it and how long time it would take.

There have been a lot of reports here on MR about people not getting email from Fedex and the unit just arriving.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 AM   #15
Godzil

Ok for the explaination from bookeen. I think this is a generic naming for all problem that are not "broken display" and the display is involved.

Such missing mails could be due to a bug in fedex, or Bookeen forget to set the "end of day" in the fedex administration tool (this is what will the the mails) that's strange anyway