Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #31
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, recommending reading apps that either are garbage or you don't know is a bad idea. The thing is to find a good app to use for reading.
For me the best app is KOReader. And it is the one I recommend. You can even extend it for your needs.

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:49 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
For me the best app is KOReader. And it is the one I recommend. You can even extend it for your needs.

Sorry, but KOReader is not it. It does not work. It will never work. You cannot read library eBooks with KOReader.

Do you use a good app to read library eBooks?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #33
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, but KOReader is not it. It does not work. It will never work. You cannot read library eBooks with KOReader.

That's a good point. I don't read any library ebooks. So definitely, not for people who read library ebooks. I have Kindle Unlimited but my kids are the ones using it in their Kindles.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:10 AM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Sure you can (if you strip the DRM).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:34 AM   #35
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Sure you can (if you strip the DRM).
Never tried library ebooks. I don't even know how it works. I buy my ebooks and strip the DRM. Can you borrow ebooks and make them yours? I have enough books for the rest of my life.

To be honest, if KOReader wouldn't exist, I would have an Android eReader to use Moon+ Reader. Although, once you get used to KOReader, you can't use any other program. It is by far, far, far the best software (excluding if you want to read library ebooks). Multi gestures, profiles, statistics... With kobo devices are perfection. And the best is that is continually being improved by a nice community.

Last edited by jospalau; 08-11-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 10:17 AM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Although, once you get used to KOReader, you can't use any other program.
Um... no. I tried it and used it for a little while; I had it customized to my liking. And I returned to the default Kobo UI, which I liked better.

KOReader may be the most customizable reading app out there, and if no Kobos or even Kindles were available, I'd probably use it on an Android eink reader. But it has its faults like everything else. For me the dealbreaker is its slowness (or even inability in some cases) to open large, multi-volume omnibuses, which I prefer to separate volumes (easier to search one book than several separately, and I use search a lot with long series). That was the main reason I went back to Nickel (which has no issues at all with huge books).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:52 AM   #37
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Um... no. I tried it and used it for a little while; I had it customized to my liking. And I returned to the default Kobo UI, which I liked better.

KOReader may be the most customizable reading app out there, and if no Kobos or even Kindles were available, I'd probably use it on an Android eink reader. But it has its faults like everything else. For me the dealbreaker is its slowness (or even inability in some cases) to open large, multi-volume omnibuses, which I prefer to separate volumes (easier to search one book than several separately, and I use search a lot with long series). That was the main reason I went back to Nickel (which has no issues at all with huge books).
People have to patch it to make it look like they want. This is more convoluted in my opinion. I never even tried it because I find the reader slow even to change font sizes.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:11 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't find my Libra 2 slow changing font sizes. But then, I don't do that as I am set for a font size I like. Also, I have the patch that equalizes the font sizes with ePub and KePub so I again don't have to change font sizes.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never even tried it because I find the reader slow even to change font sizes.
I don't change font sizes after I've selected my favorite size when setting up the reader for the first time. All my books have the same base font size.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #40
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
I don't find my Libra 2 slow changing font sizes. But then, I don't do that as I am set for a font size I like. Also, I have the patch that equalizes the font sizes with ePub and KePub so I again don't have to change font sizes.
Right. But you still have to keep patching and patching after firmware updates for something that should be fixed. But I understand. Simple things cause less problems

Last edited by jospalau; 08-12-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Right. But you still have to keep patching and patching after firmware updates for something that should be fixed.

That's true. However, I don't install every firmware update, but only those I find interesting enough. Overall, only 2-3 times a year. I don't find that too much trouble; you might, of course. To each their own. You love KOReader above everything else, for me it's only one possibility among others. I consider patching far less annoying than KOReader's inability to even open some of my books.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:51 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Right. But you still have to keep patching and patching after firmware updates for something that should be fixed. But I understand. Simple things cause less problems

Even if I didn't patch the font sizes to be the same, I'd still not be bothered all that much as I hardly read KePub because eBooks look much better in RMSDK.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:22 AM   #43
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Even if I didn't patch the font sizes to be the same, I'd still not be bothered all that much as I hardly read KePub because eBooks look much better in RMSDK.
I was having trouble with a book epigraphs due to a Calibre option after converting. I restored and reconverted the books and I decided to make a screenshot with different programs to compare with the original book in the Kindle app.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:46 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I was having trouble with a book epigraphs due to a Calibre option after converting. I restored and reconverted the books and I decided to make a screenshot with different programs to compare with the original book in the Kindle app.

You CANNOT use Talpatalk images. You'll have to use a different source to host your images or attach them. Also, it would be a good idea to actually have your image be high enough resolution to actually be able to see what it is you re trying to show.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:59 AM   #45
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
You CANNOT use Talpatalk images. You'll have to use a different source to host your images or attach them. Also, it would be a good idea to actually have your image be high enough resolution to actually be able to see what it is you re trying to show.
There you are:
https://imgur.com/a/3KtfjBS