Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-08-2023, 02:12 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Paragraph Indent, no space between paragraphs and other things can automatically be set when you convert to epub in Calibre from AZW3. I view azw3 first before setting the options.

I even convert epub to epub with fixed settings (no edit) from PD sources.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #17
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Paragraph Indent, no space between paragraphs and other things can automatically be set when you convert to epub in Calibre from AZW3. I view azw3 first before setting the options.

Yes, I have reconverted a few times the whole library. I presume I could set all these attributes in Look and feel in Calibre and it would work for most all the ebooks. I may give a try it so I don't have to enable tweaks for most of the books.

I also am appending to the metadata title of the book the pageno and wordsno attributes calculated by the Count Pages. Do you think is a good idea? Moon+ Reader is the only program calculating word number as far as I know.

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2023, 03:03 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked at MoonReader and decided Lithium, Aldiko Basic, Bluefire and Pocketbook all far better. Even KOReader is better.
But I mostly read and entirely proof/annotate on a Kobo Sage. Kobo models are best for metadata management.

From all PD sources I use I know their defaults and every title gets converted on adding to Calibre, without a preview.

On bought ebooks I always view the original first to see what settings needed. Sometimes I edit those in Calibre.

I don't need to tweek CSS on an ereader.

Since I also pass on PD ebooks to the rest of the family that's important.

BUT
I never add library ebooks to my Calibre. I read them only in the app recommended by our library.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:11 PM   #19
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I looked at MoonReader and decided Lithium, Aldiko Basic, Bluefire and Pocketbook all far better. Even KOReader is better.
But I mostly read and entirely proof/annotate on a Kobo Sage. Kobo models are best for metadata management.

From all PD sources I use I know their defaults and every title gets converted on adding to Calibre, without a preview.

On bought ebooks I always view the original first to see what settings needed. Sometimes I edit those in Calibre.

I don't need to tweek CSS on an ereader.

Since I also pass on PD ebooks to the rest of the family that's important.

BUT
I never add library ebooks to my Calibre. I read them only in the app recommended by our library.
How even KOReader is better? KOReader is the best one

Old 08-09-2023, 02:55 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

If the code for the eBook is that bad that it needs to go ePub > ePub, the book is not worth reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2023, 02:14 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the code for the eBook is that bad that it needs to go ePub > ePub, the book is not worth reading.
It is if you want it and no-one else has it. I've often had "fix" ebooks bought and produced by major publishers.

I'm not going to boycott a title because the formatting was stupid. Not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:29 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is if you want it and no-one else has it. I've often had "fix" ebooks bought and produced by major publishers.

I'm not going to boycott a title because the formatting was stupid. Not going to cut off my nose to spite my face.
The code has to be so bad that the only way to fix it is ePub > ePub. If the code is not that bad, get out the editor and fix it by hand. It's what I do.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-09-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 06:58 PM   #23
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
The code has to be so bad that the only way to fix it is ePub > ePub. If the code is not that bad, get out the editor and fix it by hand. It's what I do.
@Quoth suggested to me to reconvert my epubs to remove all having to do with spacing between paragraphs, margins... so that way I don't need to apply some style tweaks I was applying in KOReader.

I presume I could have gone one by one to do it manually but I have around 500 files and that would take me a lot of time and maybe I could introduce errors. That's why I made ePub to ePub conversion for all the files in Calibre.

All my books come from Amazon, mobi or azw3, and I convert them with Calibre to epub since I just want epubs. So all the files have been manipulated in Calibre anyways.

Last edited by jospalau; 08-09-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:01 PM   #24
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
I'm new to Android, what is the best app for book/library? I mainly do reading of textbooks in pdf/epub format, thanks
Reading for academic or learning purposes? Might I suggest you give BookFusion a try for DRM free books ? You will be able to read on Android and have your highlights and annotations synced across all devices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.reader

Some of the highlighting and annotations features:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/...sidian_plugin/

Our Android app is currently being improved to provide the same functionality currently possible in iOS and Web.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:33 PM   #25
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
I prefer Librera Reader over both Moon Reader and KO Reader. It's available on f-droid.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:14 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
I prefer Librera Reader over both Moon Reader and KO Reader. It's available on f-droid.
How well does Librera Reader respect the CSS?
Old 08-10-2023, 08:22 AM   #27
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
How well does Librera Reader respect the CSS?
I have had Librera Reader for 3 years, paid version which I think is the same without ads. For me it doesn't matter if it respects or not the CSS since I just read text books. It simply doesn't have all the functionalities that Moon+ Reader has, like integration with other apps like WordReference, themes (profiles), statistics, straightforward ways to manage books in lists or pinning them. Only KOReader is better. But that's only my opinion

What is all the fuss with BookFusion? I just installed it and it looks very simple. It is not even free. What am I missing here? What benefits does it has for people who don't use iOS at all? Does it run on Kobos?

Last edited by jospalau; 08-10-2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:21 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
I have had Librera Reader for 3 years, paid version which I think is the same without ads. For me it doesn't matter if it respects or not the CSS since I just read text books. It simply doesn't have all the functionalities that Moon+ Reader has, like integration with other apps like WordReference, themes (profiles), statistics, straightforward ways to manage books in lists or pinning them. Only KOReader is better. But that's only my opinion

What is all the fuss with BookFusion? I just installed it and it looks very simple. It is not even free. What am I missing here? What benefits does it has for people who don't use iOS at all? Does it run on Kobos?

Moon+ is garbage. But if you are unabe to know if Librera respects the CSS then it too is garbage. A good app for reading will respect the CSS. If it doesn't respect the CSS well enough, it's garbage.

So does Librera respect the CSS or is it garbage?
Old 08-10-2023, 10:30 AM   #29
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Moon+ is garbage. But if you are unabe to know if Librera respects the CSS then it too is garbage. A good app for reading will respect the CSS. If it doesn't respect the CSS well enough, it's garbage.

So does Librera respect the CSS or is it garbage?
Amen 🤣

I just use simple books so someone else can provide information about ReadEra respecting the styles. For me, as long as paragraphs are indented and a little bit else is enough.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:33 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

IMHO, recommending reading apps that either are garbage or you don't know is a bad idea. The thing is to find a good app to use for reading.