Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2023, 09:30 AM   #1
betelguese
Enthusiast
betelguese began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best app for library/book reading?

I'm new to Android, what is the best app for book/library? I mainly do reading of textbooks in pdf/epub format, thanks
betelguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:15 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If anyone recommends MoonReader+, ignore it. It's garbage.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Caveat: neither of the following apps work with DRMed books. If you need to read library books or textbooks with hardened DRM, you should check the vender or library for a list of possible apps.

For deDRMed books,

I find that I, personally, quite like Moonreader+ for reading epubs (it has all the functions I personally want and it shows notes as a popup) although I vastly prefer EBookDroid for reading PDF's (it has some very handy splitting, cropping and viewing options).

However both Moonreader and EbookDroid have a less then ideal learning curve due to the sheer number of menus and options for customization. EbookDroid does not have reflow options, Moonreader occasionally duplicates chapters. I also can't say much about the notetaking options for either app.

As always YMMV.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:43 PM   #4
betelguese
Enthusiast

What about ReadEra? Is it good? Someone recommended this to me, I checked and it seems to support all formats (Epub, PDF, Djvu, Mobi). Also, EBookDroid seems to not be updated since 2021

Last edited by betelguese; 07-28-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
What about ReadEra? Is it good? Someone recommended this to me, I checked and it seems to support all formats (Epub, PDF, Djvu, Mobi). Also, EBookDroid seems to not be updated since 2021
Won't work. You need an app that support Adobe DRM.

I suggest you try The Pocketbook app. Another app to try is Libby.
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 05:52 AM   #6
betelguese
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Won't work. You need an app that support Adobe DRM
Sorry for my ignorance, what is Adobe DRM? And how does it affect the different file formats? Thanks
Old 07-29-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Most libraries specify a specific app, though some work with any app that supports Adobe's DRM. You need then to register with Adobe.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:15 PM   #8
FranklinPerez
FranklinPerez began at the beginning.

Quote:
I'm new to Android, what is the best app for book/library? I mainly do reading of textbooks in pdf/epub format, thanks
We have a huge library of the best book/library apps you can discover. If you are an Android user, APK Mod version will be best for you
FranklinPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:18 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Says the man who admits no never having used it
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:41 AM   #10
LKraus
LKraus began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
So, what is your recommendation?
LKraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:23 AM   #11
boox
boox began at the beginning.

Device: Leaf 2, PB Touch HD3, Kindle PW2+JB, Android cell with KOreader
Quote:
Moon+Reader was my joice as an Android reader for many years. It is really a great reader - at least for me.

Since I bought a Pocketbook Touch HD3 I switched to KOreader. And I liked it a lot! It replaced Moon+Reader on all my devices and KOreader is now my favorite.

If you use only one Android device or maybe two I would recommend Moon+Reader. The learning curve is easier.
Moon+Reader does not look so good on e-Ink Android devices e.g. the Boox readers. It is perfect on Smartphones and Tablets.

KOreader is perfect for e-Ink devices. If you are willing to invest in learning how to handle KOreader I am sure you will not consider any other reader.
boox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 03:35 AM   #12
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boox View Post
Moon+Reader was my joice as an Android reader for many years. It is really a great reader - at least for me.

Since I bought a Pocketbook Touch HD3 I switched to KOreader. And I liked it a lot! It replaced Moon+Reader on all my devices and KOreader is now my favorite.

If you use only one Android device or maybe two I would recommend Moon+Reader. The learning curve is easier.
Moon+Reader does not look so good on e-Ink Android devices e.g. the Boox readers. It is perfect on Smartphones and Tablets.

KOreader is perfect for e-Ink devices. If you are willing to invest in learning how to handle KOreader I am sure you will not consider any other reader.
That was my choice as well. Changed to KOReader 2 years ago after more than 10 years using Moon+ Reader.

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:00 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
Why?

That was my choice as well. Changed to KOReader 2 years ago after more than 10 years using Moon+ Reader.

Because MoodReader is terrible at respecting the CSS.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would recommend Libby for audiobooks from Overdrive and Pocketbook for eBooks.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:08 PM   #15
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Because MoodReader is terrible at respecting the CSS.
I have read many posts about you guys modifying your ebooks. They are very interesting.

My library is a bit of a mess. Everything is converted to epub in Calibre since nearly all my books come from Amazon. So all of them have different attributes. Instead of correcting them I use KOReader tweaks when needed and regarding Moon+ Reader, as far as it shows a proper paragraph indentation and no space between paragraphs I am fine since I don't read illustrated books.

jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote